Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the three point shooting is just so bad ... make 33% and you win this game

- Aldridge had a horrible first half ... get him in some pick and pop action early ... there is a better chance he catches fire early than on those baseline fadeways
    - Murray is still work in progress ... he had some good minutes against the Lakers otherwise he was pretty much pedestrian in the last three games
    - White was banged up ... he gets a pass from me for not being too aggressive on offense
    - Rudy was awful ...
    - Poeltl ... god dammit, one my favorite players last year and now where is the pick and roll action with White?
    - why not play Carroll some minutes in Atlanta? really Pop?
    - Belli? everything has been said ... somebody injure him please

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA definitely went clubbing last night

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm soooo mad.
    The game was in the bag in the 3rd. You're up 10, it's a ing Atlanta, they don't have Lebron.
    Play a defensive lineup of Murray-White-DeRozan-Carroll (or Gay or Lyles)-LMA and the game is yours.

LMA looks as old as Vince Carter and afraid of physical contact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst thing is that Pop was actually really coaching in this game. He made the right adjustments early on after the loss to the Lakers, worked the refs, talked to the team after bad possessions, tried to establish Aldridge early, had DeRozan playmake more, etc. and the team still lost. Of course he deserves an F for putting Mills on Young in crunch time, playing the -50 Netrtg back court of Forbes/Mills and playing Belinelli. But that's to be expected from the senile idiot.
    Like I said this team can lose to anybody on any given night and will have another negative road record like last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop died for basketball after 2014 (including his bad adjustments against LAC15 and OKC16). He was lucky to have another top15 ATG in Kawhi, and that's it, but right now he makes a point of hurting the team with his rotations, I really start to believe it's purposeful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They gave up to many easy dunks through out the game..DJ & Derick White have played better..Jakob's bad handles so far this year is perplexing..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some changes need to happen before we go external. Obviously Carroll and possibly Walker need to be in the rotation. Also I think we really need to look at moving Forbes out of the starting line up.
    Agree. Start White with DJM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty was the best Young defender tonight, tbh. Murray and White were worse.

Btw, how much of the questionable coaching this season can be attributed to having inexperienced assistants, or it's all on Pop? Not sure he's getting enough help, but it's difficult to judge these things from the outside.
    Right on point. White and Murray had a horrible day. I would still have tried Murray to close the game but I can understand Pop's decision. And frankly, the last 4 minutes were not much different from any other game: no ball movement, no shooting, poor defense.

I expressed in another comment the same worries about the coaching staff. We have what? A very unexperienced kid, Becky is there just as a PR thing, and TD who has zero experience as a coach (and doesn't seem much involved during the game anyway). I have no idea how much help in game management they can provide, but I am pretty sure it is very limited, or worse.
    Say what you want about Messina and his passport but the guy knew how to run a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow how many athletic SFs does ATL have? Man they made the Spurs look small and slow on the perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess with this game Belinelli lost most of the chances to get back on track. After those two shots he should have been on fire and confident, instead he clanked an easy shot from the corner and a layup (on a nice cut). The sad thing is we have nobody who can really shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. Good take. If there’s a lower grade than F, I would give it to Pop. The lost was on him and Aldridge. F%cking Aldridge is soft, lazy and a loser. That’s it in a nuts . Just get that guy out of there. He has no sense of urgency. We have to get rid of his cancer at ude while early. That loser is never gonna change. Now Pop. Is he vexed on getting loses like these? Half-effort, sub-NBA standard defense showing? How many open dunks did Hawks have. Bad switching, no communications. Why get Carroll on this team, a defensive guy, if he’s not even playing? Belli? Freaking a joke. Why not manage White/Murray minutes so they can close the game? But just looking at the general offense, it’s more on iso and not really moving offense. No crisp passes, no cuts, just two-man game the most. I miss the the big 3. But come on. These guys could be playing better. And Pop needs to be more demanding on defense. That’s what Spurs is all about. Come on. I’m not about ready to give up on my Spurs. Let’s go!

Btw, great showing on Lyles. Keep shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow how many athletic SFs does ATL have? Man they made the Spurs look small and slow on the perimeter.
    this is the NBA since 2015, only SA runs away from this type of player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm soooo mad.
    The game was in the bag in the 3rd. You're up 10, it's a ing Atlanta, they don't have Lebron.
    P
    lay a defensive lineup of Murray-White-DeRozan-Carroll (or Gay or Lyles)-LMA and the game is yours.

LMA looks as old as Vince Carter and afraid of physical contact.
    Well, it's not Atlanta of a few years ago. They have a lot of young talent. Second game in a row that the Spurs struggled against length and athleticism. It's not even 10 games in so I'm holding my breath, but there are signs this team isn't very good. And I don't think it's necessarily on the coaching staff, but several decades of drafting in the 20s and losing a franchise player with inadequate return.

I'm still not sure what to think of Murray. I love his length compe iveness, but still seems more promise than reality. Same with White- I see flashes, but in year 3 it's still flashes.
    Again it's one game and still 75 to go, but I am concerned. I can see years of mediocrity on the horizon, I hope I'm wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting to feel like Pop is unfocused/bored and resorting to odd in-game experiments. That or he's completely losing it.

Belinelli is so bad now, I can't believe he's still getting minutes. Is there a worse player in the league right now averaging over 15mpg?
    Well there are only 4 people with a worse PER than Marco right now...and 2 of them are playing 18+ minutes (Darius Garland is playing 27 MPG for Cleveland with a PER of 1.81)

So, technically yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right on point. White and Murray had a horrible day. I would still have tried Murray to close the game but I can understand Pop's decision. And frankly, the last 4 minutes were not much different from any other game: no ball movement, no shooting, poor defense.

I expressed in another comment the same worries about the coaching staff. We have what? A very unexperienced kid, Becky is there just as a PR thing, and TD who has zero experience as a coach (and doesn't seem much involved during the game anyway). I have no idea how much help in game management they can provide, but I am pretty sure it is very limited, or worse.
    Say what you want about Messina and his passport but the guy knew how to run a game.
    Anything to deflect blame from the most experienced coach in sports.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I split hairs with your grades, but this is one time when I just want to say, "You're wrong." Beli came in, and the game went to . I don't care if he hit a couple of shots, that was a solid F. He may scatter a few games with decent stat lines here and there, but don't kid yourself: Marco Belinelli is the place where leads go to die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if Jakob doing all the dirty work but not getting an extension is playing a role in this? He saw LMA get money despite being soft as .

That and getting kicked out of the starting lineup when he thought he earned it? Yeah, I think most humans would be affected by those things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That game was hard to watch, both teams were sucking it up. I was amazed the Spurs kept it that close because they looked really really bad most of this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I split hairs with your grades, but this is one time when I just want to say, "You're wrong." Beli came in, and the game went to . I don't care if he hit a couple of shots, that was a solid F. He may scatter a few games with decent stat lines here and there, but don't kid yourself: Marco Belinelli is the place where leads go to die.
    You have to understand the grades; Marco, like with Pop, is graded on a curve. If Dejounte played the same game as Beli it would be an F. But because he’s Beli and expected to do bad based on ability it was a C for his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is the NBA since 2015, only SA runs away from this type of player
    They actually had this type of player, but he forced his way out of town. SA doesn't really shy away from this type of player, it's just that everyone wants a 6'7 wing player that's athletic and can shoot. The Spurs need to seriously figure out a way to land a starting caliber SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to understand the grades; Marco, like with Pop, is graded on a curve. If Dejounte played the same game as Beli it would be an F. But because he’s Beli and expected to do bad based on ability it was a C for his game.
    Yeah, it must be reserved for Pop and Beli - and Wombat. Because if the curve applied to everyone, then Lyles was an A-.

But it's not even a curve based on expectations. Beli killed that game. Is the expectation for him even lower than that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it must be reserved for Pop and Beli - and Wombat. Because if the curve applied to everyone, then Lyles was an A-.

But it's not even a curve based on expectations. Beli killed that game. Is the expectation for him even lower than that?
    I believe it is, yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually had this type of player, but he forced his way out of town. SA doesn't really shy away from this type of player, it's just that everyone wants a 6'7 wing player that's athletic and can shoot. The Spurs need to seriously figure out a way to land a starting caliber SF.
    It ain’t happening until Pop retires. They don’t want to play in this system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What system?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That system did make Leonard a star, so I disagree with that. But I do think they're going to have to make a similar Leonard type of trade in next years draft to get a starting caliber SF.

Thread Information