Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS Sports - Eye on Basketball Podcast: (August 14 podcast Spurs Discussion @32:00-42:00)

Listen around the @32:00 mark

http://www.cbssports.com/audio/playe...ba_podcast.mp3

Matt Moore (@HPBasketball) of CBS Sports and Hardwood Paroxysm says he agrees with Warriors beat writer, Ethan Strauss. He questions how Aldridge will fit with the Spurs next season and after Duncan retires. He doesn't buy into the hype that the spurs will win a le even with Aldridge, who he calls "a hyper efficient long-two shooter." He believes they lost continuity and the backcourt is lacking but are hopeful about McCallum and Kyle Anderson.

Zach Harper says the Spurs are the 3rd best team in the West. He truly believes Aldridge won't make the sacrifice to win the "spurs way." He says they have the best Frontcourt rotation but says backcourt is weak. Manu is "not good anymore" and unpredictable and hopes that he can look as good as two years ago for the Spurs to be successful in the postseason. He doesn't "trust Tony Parker's hamstring." "The passing happens off of dribble penetration, they don't have that guy." If Parker is injured, they're screwed."

Interesting to hear how much they had to say considering the new-look spurs haven't set foot on the court yet. Can't wait for the season to start!
    Last edited by DenialTwist; 08-14-2015 at 05:56 PM.

In Bud We Trust SquawkinHawkBigCock's Avatar
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    From what I've read on here, a former Suns front office member, a Warriors* beat writer, and a Grizzlies beat writer are the only ones who think the Spurs will falter this year.

What do all those teams have in common?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moore isn't a Grizzlies beat writer though lol he's just a Grizzlies/Gasol fan who happens to work for CBS Sports as an NBA Analyst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The butthurt is too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs won't be relying as much with parker this year, hopefully..

Alridge is a great fit. These guys are just supreme losers.

But The spurs not winning is entirely possible. very Possible.. the can lose to 3 teams in the west.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's just like...his opinion, man.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing Moore thinks LMAlpha will look like he did against the Grizzlies... He knows his stuff, but he's underestimating how different Aldridge will look under an actual NBA coach and help.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not exactly wrong... but them.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If members of the media depended upon being right to keep their jobs, they wouldn't pick against the Spurs routinely. But as it is, they have motivations to sell the Spurs; and I can even see much of this Matt Moore's reasoning. I'm not inclined to agree with his take though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing!

The Manu-Tony duo is actually a concern. Tony has had injuries with increasing frequency and they have affected his play. Manu was average last year. He had a stretch when he was overplayed and never recovered his mojo. I just think that yes, they are both a concern.

I am hopeful the new kids on the block will pick up the slack though. Summer League IS summer league, but it is still a good sign to have the young kids dominate lesser compe ion. At least one and maybe more of the new guys will come through and have a good year for the Spurs. I am hoping it is Anderson. He played in that December stretch last year as a very green rookie and straight up dominated all lesser compe ion after that stretch.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing!

The Manu-Tony duo is actually a concern. Tony has had injuries with increasing frequency and they have affected his play. Manu was average last year. He had a stretch when he was overplayed and never recovered his mojo. I just think that yes, they are both a concern.

I am hopeful the new kids on the block will pick up the slack though. Summer League IS summer league, but it is still a good sign to have the young kids dominate lesser compe ion. At least one and maybe more of the new guys will come through and have a good year for the Spurs. I am hoping it is Anderson. He played in that December stretch last year as a very green rookie and straight up dominated all lesser compe ion after that stretch.
    For the mainstream fan, Simmons may be flying under the radar right now. But he was a defensive star on the perimeter in SL. If that translates at the NBA level, that'll give the Spurs three elite perimeter defenders (KL, Green Simmons). If this happens, look out league!

And in this event, Pop would only need to squeeze whatever juice out of Manu/Parker that he can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the mainstream fan, Simmons may be flying under the radar right now. But he was a defensive star on the perimeter in SL. If that translates at the NBA level, that'll give the Spurs three elite perimeter defenders (KL, Green Simmons). If this happens, look out league!

And in this event, Pop would only need to squeeze whatever juice out of Manu/Parker that he can get.
    That is what I am hoping. I have not seen either Jimmer or McCallum so its difficult to get excited for them personally, but I do think at least one of the new guys and maybe more will break out, much like Mills and Green did back in the day a couple years ago. The Spurs have talent, it's just untested talent, but they always keep looking for guys who can contribute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt, while knowledgable is a very big time Spurs whiner/hater. He's a MEM fan and constantly whines about the Spurs winning.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the EOB CBS podcast the week after LMA agreed to terms, Moore listed the spurs as one of the off season winners but said that was only because of the vitriol he would get if he didn't have the spurs as one of the winners.

The CBS EoB guys are just more basketball hipsters, who have literally spent time talking about their monocles and pocket watches. As long as you remember that they're just buffoonish hipsters who occasionally make decent NBA observations, they're not too bad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the EOB CBS podcast the week after LMA agreed to terms, Moore listed the spurs as one of the off season winners but said that was only because of the vitriol he would get if he didn't have the spurs as one of the winners.

The CBS EoB guys are just more basketball hipsters, who have literally spent time talking about their monocles and pocket watches. As long as you remember that they're just buffoonish hipsters who occasionally make decent NBA observations, they're not too bad
    I actually like Zach Harper, he is funny and I listen to all the EOB pods with him featured as the main host. He is also the popular "Wolf among Wolves" guy. However, I don't like Moore. He's pretentious, snarky and spins narratives to fit with his agenda. He used to work for NBC Sports then he was fired, not sure what happened, then he moved to CBS Sports. He really should just be a Grizzlies beat writer, he's very biased as a featured national "NBA analyst."

Basketball hipster is the perfect phrase lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, everything he said (outside of fit with LMA) is technically correct. Also, it's strange to say something like "I don't buy the hype they will be the champs".

Well, nothing is guaranteed and even though the Spurs got LMA/West, they do have question marks (especially Parker). The West is incredible. Spurs got better, but it's not about winning it all - it's about being legit good enough to have a real shot. So much is luck, health and match ups, but it's really impossible to say who will win it.

It's hilarious to act like if the Spurs make the finals but lose, you could be like "see I told you don't buy the hype"!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im expecting Parker to be a top 5-10pg again. He should be injury free.

Green is the ultimate 3 n D player. We have insane shooters coming off the bench and Kawhi can guard wings if an opponent has a few good ones.

Our back court is fine. But I do agree that there are question marks over LMA into spurs system. I think hes a quiet achiever that wants to be numero uno without the spotlight and thats how spurs work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moore with legit takes. Pop has to solve the puzzle of making the sum greater than its parts. He still says they win 60+ games, which is like saying Spurs are a great team bc only great teams win that many games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly. They're basketball hipsters. Their dismissal of the Spurs doesn't stem from logic and reason. It stems from the fact that everyone else is picking the Spurs to win it all, and they want to go against the mainstream by doing otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs nation don't worry about these jabroni's because these are pretty much the same ones and a lot and I mean a lot of other writers saying Spurs were done and Duncan needed to retire like 6yrs ago. These are the same idiots that been saying Spurs are old for like 8yrs and that's why they aren't winning . These people just never learn and look like idiots when it comes back to bite them in they're ass. It's like Shaquille saying to Kobe "how's my ass taste". That's what Spurs been doing to all these haters that happen to write articles and show their faces on TV. Eventually, they will get it right some decade. It's funny how he's saying if Parker goes down or is not the old tony Spurs are done. That's in bull because when we won the chip in '14 Parker didn't even have to play and I wouldn't care. Patty mills was tearing the league up and when he came in that's when Spurs blew teams out or made their run. These guys are delusional because remember when pop sent Parker away for 2weeks to get healed up. We didn't lose a beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is an obvious imbalance between the level of the frontcourt and the backcourt bench with the new young guys, it usually isn't a good thing but I expect the starters and the old guys play good enough to hide that weakness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come playoff time, the lineups get tighter than a straight mans asshole... Regular season would be Michael Sams A-Hole...
    So much talk about depth being an issue, but we didn't see much Belli/Joseph in the 2014 or 2015 playoffs, did we? Nope....
    We know pop will resort to higher mins with Parker, Green, Kawhi, Lemarcus, Diaw, Duncan, West, and probably Mills come playoff time...
    With spot mins to Manu, Ray M, and possibly Kyle....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this guy really get paid to spout a bunch of unsupported conclusions? Any moron can do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. s is salty as . Spurs are going to win back to back les.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this guy really get paid to spout a bunch of unsupported conclusions? Any moron can do that.
    But only special morons have the hubris to use their real name when they speak/quote with certainty about things they know about... those are the real job skills in sports journalism: desire to stand out by any means necessary, lack of interest in how their future credibility could be impacted by their present positions, and (implicitly) cynicism regarding human memory. Que sera sera.

Thread Information