Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One reason we may never see the Spurs actually tank is that they are a small market team and they need to fill seats and get those extra playoff game revenues to continue to compete financially in the league.
    Teams in larger markets can tank and absorb some of those lost revenues more easily.
    For that reason alone I expect the Spurs to always be a team that tries to "win now," even when they don't look like a le contender.

It is worth remembering that while we are not a legit le contender this year, we do have NBA history to chase.
    If we get to the playoffs for a 23rd year in a row that will set a new NBA record.
    Why not add that to this storied franchise's list of accomplishments?

Go Spurs Go!
    Nobody cares about playoff years in a row other than Spur fans.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn't use tanking as a strategy in 97. Robinson suffered the injury that hampered him the rest of his career and our best player was a Dominique Wilkins...and it still came down to luck. Stinking it up for a lottery ticket isn't a sound strategy and the teams who have literally been utilizing it for long strides of time haven't been successful and/or lucky. Too many variables to consider it a sound strategy.
    You are in denial. The Spurs clearly tanked the last month of the season as I was hoping they would at the time. Robinson could have played the last month or so of the season. Every win hurt their chances of getting Duncan so they had no incentive to bring Robinson back. Tanking that year was the smart move with Duncan being a franchise changing player on the table.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget about the fact that THERE ARE NO TIM DUNCANS OUT THERE, AND NEVER WILL BE AGAIN.
    But there will be franchise changing players in upcoming drafts, not necessarily this draft. The Spurs build through the draft. They are not the Lakers who can get the best players through free agency or forced trades, outside of the draft. So it is going to take getting into the lottery at some point for the Spurs to get good enough talent to get them back on track to get back into the le hunt mix again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And just like that,3 game lead has vanished

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers are currently in the 8th seed again.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Really?? That's either bias or just a stupid take regarding Dallas.

They have the best young player in the league by far. Porzingis is absolutely brilliant in his return and Rick Carlisle is a top 3 coach basically every year. There's more to it, but that's why they're doing well

OKC, tho, is doing better than most thought.
    Porzingis brilliant he has been up and d own all year... LUKA is the truth and RC can coach his ass off

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 1/2 games out of 7th place. 3 1/2 games out of 14th place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because that has worked for...who?

Aside from Golden State, what other team has succeeded in a tanking strategy the last 30 years and the strategy paid dividends for a substantiated amount of time.
    tanking for that Tim Duncan guy turned out pretty well, I’d say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 1/2 games out of 7th place. 3 1/2 games out of 14th place.
    Yep, and just like that...

That loss to OKC is going to come back to hurt them.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because that has worked for...who?

Aside from Golden State, what other team has succeeded in a tanking strategy the last 30 years and the strategy paid dividends for a substantiated amount of time?

Second round bounces for Boston and Philly are even more laughable considering how much money they devoted to trading and signing other max-level players to get to those bounces.

If there was no lottery, I could understand the philosophy, but given the odds in the lottery and how rare a truly stacked class is in the NBA draft, tanking is for inept GMs and stupid, desperate fanbases.
    spurs (admiral, duncan) , philly ( long process but it pays off now they r a contender and will be for a couple of yrs), lakers ( used high drafted players to bring AD and guess what? they r contender), dallas ( doncic - maybe a future goat), cavaliers ( drafted high kyrie and wiggins who was traded to make space for lbj and won a chip twice)....

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody cares about playoff years in a row other than Spur fans.
    sad but truuuu

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs (admiral, duncan) , philly ( long process but it pays off now they r a contender and will be for a couple of yrs), lakers ( used high drafted players to bring AD and guess what? they r contender), dallas ( doncic - maybe a future goat), cavaliers ( drafted high kyrie and wiggins who was traded to make space for lbj and won a chip twice)....
    Man Philly sucks and is no where near a contender Both their high draft picks are heavily flawed, immature and injury prone. They will not win a championship in the next ten years you can book that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Philly sucks and is no where near a contender Both their high draft picks are heavily flawed, immature and injury prone. They will not win a championship in the next ten years you can book that.
    Agreed. Bet Brown gets canned this summer. Last year was the closest they'll ever come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The problem with all of you people who keep citing stuff like that is that it doesn't mean . Portland got the #1 pick and took Greg Oden - with Kevin Durant sitting there.

Just because some other teams have done stupid things it doesn't mean that the Spurs would have to follow suit. When teams tank and then piss off the pick, or up their rosters with bad trades, that doesn't prove that tanking doesn't work. It proves that those teams were poorly managed. , look at the great rosters that the Knicks built around Kristaps. If the Spurs FO is half as good as people believe, it's a game changer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with all of you people who keep citing stuff like that is that it doesn't mean . Portland got the #1 pick and took Greg Oden - with Kevin Durant sitting there.

Just because some other teams have done stupid things it doesn't mean that the Spurs would have to follow suit. When teams tank and then piss off the pick, or up their rosters with bad trades, that doesn't prove that tanking doesn't work. It proves that those teams were poorly managed. , look at the great rosters that the Knicks built around Kristaps. If the Spurs FO is half as good as people believe, it's a game changer.
    Ok I'm talking about the 76ers tell me who they could have drafted in 14 and 16 that were better than Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid that would have them in championship contention?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok I'm talking about the 76ers tell me who they could have drafted in 14 and 16 that were better than Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid that would have them in championship contention?
    First of all, they COULDN'T have gotten better picks than those two at 14 and 16. You pretty much proved my point. Tanking to get a 1 and a 3 pick isn't what made the Sixers bad. The point is, they got two franchise players and STILL ed things up. That's mismanagement. If you don't think that the Spurs' FO can manage any better than that, then they're going to suck whether they tank or not.

I'm not going to write a book on Sixers recent draft history - they've handled business like kids in a fantasy league. How about drafting Mikal Bridges at 10, and then turning right around and trading him for Zhaire Smith and later pick? They're addicted to "the process", and can't get down to "the business" of building a team. I notice you didn't want to talk about the Knicks.

Rebuilding doesn't have to be a long-term disaster, and a high draft pick will always be the best and most consistent way of acquiring a franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a wonderful blessing this season is for spurstalk. The pop apologists get to bask in the glory that is the GOAT and get to experience another year of awe inspiring coaching and in game adjustments of a confident pop trying to win every game. And the pop haters and tanking supporters get to watch a losing season culminating in a lottery pick. A win-win for everyone! Yay!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers actually wouldn't be the worst matchup, the Spurs might not embarrass themselves if they get 8th(no chance of winning, though). They can't shoot 3s consistently, no athleticism on the wings, they don't have the guards to exploit Forbes and Marco. Danny struggles to defend DeRozan and Aldridge always holds his own against Davis IIRC.

That's if the Spurs can even get there, of course. It's a battle of trash teams for 8th the Grizzlies might emerge as kings of the dump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And just like that Forbes is starting again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now 5 games out of 7th, and 3 games out of 14th. With fewer and fewer games left to make up the gap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now 5 games out of 7th, and 3 games out of 14th. With fewer and fewer games left to make up the gap.
    The number of available spots might already be closing on us as Memphis finds its stride. They're more athletic and play with more desire. It will be tough to pass them.

OKC looks solid enough to battle until the end, especially with SG-A playing the way he is.

That leaves a very narrow opportunity to sneak in with unexpectedly better play than what has thus far been demonstrated. Or a significant injury to one of the teams ranked about 5th and below currently on the WC playoff list.

IOW, it's going to be tight.

Might be time to get what we can for Demar while he's playing out of his mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The number of available spots might already be closing on us as Memphis finds its stride. They're more athletic and play with more desire. It will be tough to pass them.

OKC looks solid enough to battle until the end, especially with SG-A playing the way he is.

That leaves a very narrow opportunity to sneak in with unexpectedly better play than what has thus far been demonstrated. Or a significant injury to one of the teams ranked about 5th and below currently on the WC playoff list.

IOW, it's going to be tight.

Might be time to get what we can for Demar while he's playing out of his mind.

Dead on. Plus what promises to be an especially brutal RRT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are in denial. The Spurs clearly tanked the last month of the season as I was hoping they would at the time. Robinson could have played the last month or so of the season. Every win hurt their chances of getting Duncan so they had no incentive to bring Robinson back. Tanking that year was the smart move with Duncan being a franchise changing player on the table.
    I mean tanking for a month isn't really considered tanking in today's game. The 76ers tanked for years. Tanking nowadays basically starts in January.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's looking pretty solid right now for us missing the PO. Memphis has been playing great ball with no signs of slowing down, OKC prefers giving their young players some playoff burn instead of tanking, and everyone else is obviously out of reach.

The worst thing is that, for the Spurs to catch up, they would need to do something Pop has been beyond adamant at doing this season - mix things up. Starting Forbes clearly isn't working. Playing him 30m isn't working either. Putting Marco on the court at all hasn't either. Not pairing DJ and White limits their ceiling and the team's defensive ceiling. Playing Poeltl so little even when LMA is having off games is a travesty. And so on...

Thread Information