Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a good shooter but good at making stuff happen towards the basket with speed and agility. I wonder if they thought they saw a taller version of the next Tony Parker with this pick, tbh.
    He shot 38% from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His offensive game reminds me of Westbrook tbqh fwiw imho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Bradley Beal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s basically taller shoulder wise but has a shorter neck, where Johnson is the opposite. Bulk wise they look the same. Much rather have Johnson esp where he got picked, talk about value late in a round.
    I see a Westbrook McCollum hybrid

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a rich man's MJ tbh. Quit underrating this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping for a hybrid Danny Green + DDR, without the melodrama.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shot 38% from 3.
    College 3's on a team that afforded good looks. I watched Kentucky in the lead-up to the tourney. None of them were three shooters. The kid drafted at 15 had a mid-range Blake Griffin shot that he would go 3-5 or 4-6 from during games; but the three shooting simply wasn't there. KJ was not a guy with a great shot; that was readily apparent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College 3's on a team that afforded good looks. I watched Kentucky in the lead-up to the tourney. None of them were three shooters. The kid drafted at 15 had a mid-range Blake Griffin shot that he would go 3-5 or 4-6 from during games; but the three shooting simply wasn't there. KJ was not a guy with a great shot; that was readily apparent.
    The Spurs afford Good looks, too.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs afford Good looks, too.
    He's not an NBA three shooter at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not an NBA three shooter at this point.
    Obviously not....he hasn't played a single NBA minute to show us that. Great call, tell us more...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously not....he hasn't played a single NBA minute to show us that. Great call, tell us more...
    0/10

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name the last Spurs rookie who ended up shooting a lower percentage on 3s in the NBA than he did in college under Chips tutelage.

Three And Counting ...
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most mock drafts had Keldon Johnson as a top 15 pick and we get him at #29? WOW!
    He reminds me of Bruce Bowen on defense and plays more inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting stroke is kinda similar to jayson Tatum, with practice he’ll be a solid shooter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

EXPLAIN TO ME HOW PJ WASHINGTON

is a BIGER FORWARD

Than KELDON?
    Haven't you ever noticed? If you want to look bigger in a shot, stand at the edges!

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name the last Spurs rookie who ended up shooting a lower percentage on 3s in the NBA than he did in college under Chips tutelage.
    White year 2: 33 3FG
    Murray year 2: 26 3FG

When they were getting the minutes. Do you have a point, or are you just grazing?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most mock drafts had Keldon Johnson as a top 15 pick and we get him at #29? WOW!
    He reminds me of Bruce Bowen on defense and plays more inside.
    I dunno if that's true or not; but just about all of them had him in their top 22 if you want to feel like you got a value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi Leonard’s no step was 25.5, and his max vert was 32.
    Yea but hes also taller and a longer then him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The transcript of former Kentucky basketball star Keldon Johnson’s interview with the media after being drafted by the San Antonio Spurs:

Question: Just talk about your style of play and what you’ll bring to your new team? ”I think I bring a lot of energy, hard-working. I think that I can get up and down and run. I feel like I’m very versatile, play multiple positions. I think I fit pretty well.”

Q. This time last year you were getting selected to college at the University of Kentucky. I have heard Coach Cal say so the NBA is a man’s league. How tough do you expect that transition to be? “I think it will be pretty tough. I think I adjust pretty well. I think my game really translates to the NBA. So I think I’ll be fine. I’ll just listen to my coach and get ready to learn.”

Q. Yesterday we spoke a little bit about your pre-draft meeting with San Antonio. One thing you told me that stood out was they told you they can develop your game. How do you see your game meshing with guys like DeMar DeRozan, LaMarcus Aldridge and Dejounte Murray? ”I feel I could play well with any players. I feel I’m not hard to play with. I feel I am very versatile. That’s one thing I take pride in is I bring a lot of energy and I’m hard-working. … So I think that we’ll get with them and we’ll sit down, and definitely I think that it’s one of the best programs in the world with developing players’ games. Get down there and work with player development and get ready for the grind.”

Unlimited Digital Access: Only $0.99 For Your First Month

Get full access to Lexington Herald-Leader content across all your devices.
    SAVE NOW
    Q. You’re coming from an environment where Kentucky is literally all of Lexington. San Antonio is very similar in that the Spurs essentially are San Antonio. How cool is that for you knowing that you’re going to somewhat of a similar environment where essentially the entire town just bleeds that silver and black passion? “I’m used to it. I feel like at Kentucky, like you said, in Lexington, it’s the University of Kentucky. So going into here, I’m very excited. I’m ready to learn and work. Come in and be the best player I can be.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...231688078.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs got a steal at #29. This guy has decent length and athleticism. He can shoot the 3 and can take contact on drives. What more can you ask for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs got a steal at #29. This guy has decent length and athleticism. He can shoot the 3 and can take contact on drives. What more can you ask for?

At 29?! Not much tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD is high on him as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somehow can't stream this, but maybe some of you are interested

Helping Johnson to a stellar college career was Kentucky assistant coach Joel Justus.

Justus was a guest on ESPN San Antonio's "The Blitz" and touched on why Johnson is going to make teams regret on passing on him as well as what the Spurs will be getting on the court from the NBA rookie.

I think it's going to end up being the steal of the draft. Talking to a few guys there in the organization and they were fired up.
    What you're getting is an electric downhill scorer who ultimately is going to be a great two-way player on the court. Off the court, you're going to have a guy that is just going to be a fantastic member of the community down that way.
    I tell you, you got an absolute steal.
    The 19-year-old guard helped lift the Wildcats to the Elite Eight at the 2019 NCAA Tournament after earning All-SEC Second Team and SEC All-Freshman team honors.

Despite Johnson's achievements, Justus was surprised to see Johnson slip in the first round.

Every single pick that went by, we had heard as high as nine to the Wizards. And then we were shocked he went past the Spurs the first time.
    Justus touched on why Johnson is a perfect fit in San Antonio and how much he loves to be coached including his toughness on the floor.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/k...l-of-the-draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information