Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not cutting him would have meant guaranteeing another $4M for NEXT year. We’re only paying him for THIS season, $3M. The deadline for the team’s year four option was fast approaching. He had to go. As the old saying goes, when a shirt’s dirty, it’s dirty.

It’s really dumb to think it was Forbes that pushed him out. It was the conversion of KBDs 2 way to an NBA contract that opened the door.
    Why do you keep saying they spurs would have owed for next year. the option date had not passed so I am guessing we had not picked it up. So we could have just not picked up his 4th year option and then he would have been a free agent. I dont think it works like a guarantee date where if still on the team he is paid for the year. If we had picked it up I am pretty sure we would still owe for it.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/11/...decisions.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you keep saying they spurs would have owed for next year. the option date had not passed so I am guessing we had not picked it up. So we could have just not picked up his 4th year option and then he would have been a free agent. I dont think it works like a guarantee date where if still on the team he is paid for the year. If we had picked it up I am pretty sure we would still owe for it.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/11/...decisions.html

His at ude was for already. If he were on the roster with the Spurs having declined an option, he would be unplayable. You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard, not that he ever did before. Declining the option says that player isn’t in your future development plan. At that point, he’s a guy on your roster competing for a spot. KBD was the clear better choice for this roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His at ude was for already. If he were on the roster with the Spurs having declined an option, he would be unplayable. You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard, not that he ever did before. Declining the option says that player isn’t in your future development plan. At that point, he’s a guy on your roster competing for a spot. KBD was the clear better choice for this roster.
    Ive noticed when I prove you wrong you just talk about other things. It was the same then with DJM. I gave you facts and you started changing it even when I would ask you a direct question.

That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract. Also if he is on our team and breaks out then we still have a shot to see him up close and try and resign him. You also brought up KBD but earlier you said it was between him and Euwbanks. Which is it? As I said there were a few talked about but if Forbes was not signed they could have kept him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive noticed when I prove you wrong you just talk about other things. It was the same then with DJM. I gave you facts and you started changing it even when I would ask you a direct question.

That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract. Also if he is on our team and breaks out then we still have a shot to see him up close and try and resign him. You also brought up KBD but earlier you said it was between him and Euwbanks. Which is it? As I said there were a few talked about but if Forbes was not signed they could have kept him.
    It is a VERY common theme with Ex. When proven wrong he deflects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s my opinion, and that of the Spurs, and that of 28 other teams, and a bunch of coaches and scouts in Europe. He’s a lazy ass, and not a try harder guy.

Yes, they could have kept him without picking up the option. It wouldn’t have been smart for the reasons I’ve stated. I mean, you’ve told him he’s not in your plans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never wanted Samanic drafted over Thybulle or Clarke, always thought his shooting was ridiculously overrated for a guy who never shot well at any level ever whether against juniors or grown men.

But his dopey spin dribble is something kbd can't do. He did improve on defense a lot even to a hater like me, and I don't think they cut the right guy.

He would have been more entertaining to watch at least.

Samanic has always had an at ude problem, but he wasn't throwing soup or crying about his locker like Kevin Porter Jr. His at ude issues were probably made worse by Pop's classic swagger jacks and injuries beyond his control.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Samanic with a HUGE game for the Westchester Knicks!

29 PTS and 14 REB, that's his second game in a row of 25+ PTS and 10+ REB! https://t.co/TCN5rbyF0K

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka Samanic with a HUGE game for the Westchester Knicks!

29 PTS and 14 REB, that's his second game in a row of 25+ PTS and 10+ REB! https://t.co/TCN5rbyF0K
    Looks a lot like what he did in the Gubble. Acid test is if he gets a call up, does he piss off Thibs with his C- effort. This might have been one of the worst situations he could have found himself in, with another disciplinarian coach, and an in bent All Star starting at his position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks a lot like what he did in the Gubble. Acid test is if he gets a call up, does he piss off Thibs with his C- effort. This might have been one of the worst situations he could have found himself in, with another disciplinarian coach, and an in bent All Star starting at his position.
    If Samanic is serious on making it this 2nd chance, then playing for Thibs is the best thing that could happen to him. Coz he would be in the watchful eyes of Coach Thibs’ who will drill, and materialize that talent if he’s willing to put in the work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thibodeau is going to hate him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thibodeau is going to hate him.
    So
    Much
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Samanic is serious on making it this 2nd chance, then playing for Thibs is the best thing that could happen to him. Coz he would be in the watchful eyes of Coach Thibs’ who will drill, and materialize that talent if he’s willing to put in the work.
    He’s never shown he’s willing to put in the work. Not here, and not in Europe. It’s beyond naive to think that being released, and still paid will some how lead to introspection and change. He’s just really self centered, lazy, and en led, exactly the rep he had in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me know when he does anything close to that in an actual NBA game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with another disciplinarian coach,
    CIA Popped a "disciplinarian" coach.

guy had and has so many pets it's pathetic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t really keep a player who’s option you’ve declined, and expect them to play hard,.
    Would be interesting to see what has happened in previous cases.
    That may be your opinion but some people may play harder to try and get their next contract.
    This. Again, would be interesting to see what happened in all previous cases.

It’s my opinion, and that of the Spurs, and that of 28 other teams, and a bunch of coaches and scouts in Europe.
    No denying this. ex does make a point here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors declined the fourth year option on Kevon Looney, then signed him to a one year minimum, then signed him to a 3/15 deal

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be interesting to see what has happened in previous cases.

This. Again, would be interesting to see what happened in all previous cases.

No denying this. ex does make a point here.
    Without looking I would say most people that do not get their 4th year option picked up do not get resigned. There are some exceptions as the one mentioned above. it does happen though where they may get signed by other teams after that year. someone might even trade for him if they want to look at them and dont want to get a full year to him. (im guessing the most you would get is a second rd pick or another player they dont want) The player still could try to show what they could be on another team or if good enough stay on your team. thing is just like getting cut could be a wake up call so could not getting the option picked upped.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors declined the fourth year option on Kevon Looney, then signed him to a one year minimum, then signed him to a 3/15 deal
    Kevon Looney is an NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without looking I would say most people that do not get their 4th year option picked up do not get resigned. There are some exceptions as the one mentioned above. it does happen though where they may get signed by other teams after that year. someone might even trade for him if they want to look at them and dont want to get a full year to him. (im guessing the most you would get is a second rd pick or another player they dont want) The player still could try to show what they could be on another team or if good enough stay on your team. thing is just like getting cut could be a wake up call so could not getting the option picked upped.
    2nd round pick and/or another player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>getting zero in return and infact paying some one to go the ing Nets.
    Would not shock me if this was some wink nod between Olympic glory seeking Popped and Durant. I have zero proof, just saying would not shock me.

Loser move to let LMA hog minutes and buy him out for zero return.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd round pick and/or another player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>getting zero in return and infact paying some one to go the ing Nets.
    Would not shock me if this was some wink nod between Olympic glory seeking Popped and Durant. I have zero proof, just saying would not shock me.

Loser move to let LMA hog minutes and buy him out for zero return.
    LMA and a 1st rd pick are different. with LMA he had a high salary so Brooklyn signed him for much much less then they would have to if they traded for him. Also they would have to have given up players they had and not wanted.

Luka on the other hand was not makeing much. yes they may still have to give up a player but it is much easier to find a low cost player then someone makeing as much as LMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA and a 1st rd pick are different. with LMA he had a high salary so Brooklyn signed him for much much less then they would have to if they traded for him. Also they would have to have given up players they had and not wanted.
    Exactly. So was PATFO working for the Nets or the Spurs on the LMA for nothing deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. So was PATFO working for the Nets or the Spurs on the LMA for nothing deal?
    We did it “for the culture”

Thad Young is next. At least we aren’t buying them out to join our new found compe ors; Magic, Minny, Detroit and Clutch City have enough young talent to want our treasured vet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line, this team is broken at every level except for maybe janitorial services.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, I’ve heard that janitorial services have slipped as well. A complete talent drain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different situation because Looney had two hip surgeries back-to-back seasons and was stiff and in danger of being out of the league. He was more of a perimeter PF b4 the hip injuries but he had to adapt his game to play center and slim down plus get his body in the best shape. He turned things around for himself.

Luka's problem is something else, but he's certainly young enough that he could be a late bloomer somewhere else. It will require him turning things around effort-wise kind of like Danny Green did after getting cut from CLE and the Spurs. Samanic is going to have to claw his way back in.

Thread Information