Page 23 of 95 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Rudy as being the most valuable trade piece. First off, I don’t consider DD to be on the block, because you would never get value for him, and he’s a key starter. LMA has fallen off a cliff, and likely won’t bring anything in return.

That leaves Rudy, a stretch shooting big with something left in the tank. He is both replaceable, and can fetch an asset in return.
    I agree with this. Only caveat would be if LMA gets healthy ASAP while showing he can shoot the 3 ball reliably along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is pretty easily the most valuable trade piece of the vets. I think Gay has slightly positive value, but he's more like buoyant filler than he is an actual asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is pretty easily the most valuable trade piece of the vets. I think Gay has slightly positive value, but he's more like buoyant filler than he is an actual asset.
    I’m sure there are like 20 guys like Patty, smalls who run around and chuck from long range, available, and fewer stretch bigs. Supply and demand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Boston could be interested in Mills and Gay with the TE. They aren't getting back a star with it but would definitely help them improve their bench, which has been an issue. Something like Langford, Ojeleye, and their 2021 first--which is looking good right now but would obviously be lottery protected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to see this go down:

ORL: Rudy Gay, Walker IV, Sammy
    SAS: AG, Mo Bamba

AG provides a replacement for LMA and gives defensive versatility at the 3/4 and someone whk can guard the LBJ, PG, Kawhi, Durants of the league. Mo Bamba gets a change of scenery as a project and backup 5. He has the physical attributes to become a defensive anchor and has shown flashes of an offensive touch. This helps Orlando look to the future with two prospects who better fit their roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

AG provides a replacement for LMA and gives defensive versatility at the 3/4 and someone whk can guard the LBJ, PG, Kawhi, Durants of the league. Mo Bamba gets a change of scenery as a project and backup 5. He has the physical attributes to become a defensive anchor and has shown flashes of an offensive touch. This helps Orlando look to the future with two prospects who better fit their roster.
    Without their first, no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Boston could be interested in Mills and Gay with the TE. They aren't getting back a star with it but would definitely help them improve their bench, which has been an issue. Something like Langford, Ojeleye, and their 2021 first--which is looking good right now but would obviously be lottery protected.
    TPE cannot be combined with other players iirc. so it would be a straight salary dumb i believe and for an expiring that seems pointless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without their first, no
    A first would make this a no brainer for us but doubt they would given Rudy is likely gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be very surprised if the Spurs move anyone. I fully expect them to miss out on a potential superstar in the excellent upcoming draft as well as miss the playoffs.
    That's what seems the most likely to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Big yikes

Then I recall this:

Pushing a woman. this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TPE cannot be combined with other players iirc. so it would be a straight salary dumb i believe and for an expiring that seems pointless
    Your right, they can't. Even though Both Mills and Gay technically fit in the exception, they're hard-capped so it would have to be either Mills or Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your right, they can't. Even though Both Mills and Gay technically fit in the exception, they're hard-capped so it would have to be either Mills or Gay.
    Just to clarify: The above trade is legal. The rule about combining a TE with players is about aggregating salary. So if Langford and Ojeleye were needed to give Boston matching salary, then it wouldn't work. But every team is allowed to structure trades like they want, and in this case, Boston would be making three trades:

Mills to Boston with the TE absorbing the salary

Langford and Ojeleye to SA, with the Mills TE absorbing the salary (so Boston would get two new TEs)

Gay to Boston, with the TE absorbing the salary

I just spitballing here. I don't know exactly how much salary the team needs to send out. There's a rule that every trade has to include a real asset, so the first-rounder might have to be part of the trade, and a dummy second might also have to be part. Anyway, from SA's perspective, they can just do the straight trade, as far as I know again, I don't know about the rule with the dummy-second. I guess Boston could just add the rights to some rando to make everything work in the worst case. But regardless, the Spurs would create two TEs as a result of the trade as opposed to trading for Boston's TE. I know a lot of folks understand that, but I see a lot consider the TE an asset that gets moved, and that's not how it works.

EDIT: So reading over the CBA FAQ (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q87).

It looks like it's fine to trade a player "for nothing" so long as it's part of a bigger trade that's completed immediately. So there's no there's no need to be clever with a dummy second or cash. The FAQ also doesn't say that teams can't trade away players in the same deal as they use the TE to acquire them. If that's the case, then that second trade can be combined with the first, where the Celtics trade for Mills and trade away their guys with SA just getting their smaller TE while Boston gets nothing.
    Last edited by Chinook; 02-26-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Gay and Mills could both be absorbed into the same TPE if it's big enough. But I think it's just barely too small: the TPE is $27M and Gay/Mills make $28M combined.

Boston being only $19M under the apron means they would have to send out $8-9M in salary anyway if they want to use the full $27M of the TPE. I think Tristan Thompson (owed a bit more than $9M this season and next) would be a plausible candidate to move for Aldridge, and maybe even for Gay. Boston would have to include an asset to compensate the Spurs for giving up $9M of their 2021 cap space.

Aldridge's 15% trade kicker might even push his salary above the amount of Boston's TPE, which would scuttle any potential deal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, this is my understanding but I could be wrong on one or more points.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Gay and Mills could both be absorbed into the same TPE if it's big enough. But I think it's just barely too small: the TPE is $27M and Gay/Mills make $28M combined.

Boston being only $19M under the apron means they would have to send out $8-9M in salary anyway if they want to use the full $27M of the TPE. I think Tristan Thompson (owed a bit more than $9M this season and next) would be a plausible candidate to move for Aldridge, and maybe even for Gay. Boston would have to include an asset to compensate the Spurs for giving up $9M of their 2021 cap space.

Aldridge's 15% trade kicker might even push his salary above the amount of Boston's TPE, which would scuttle any potential deal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, this is my understanding but I could be wrong on one or more points.
    15% trade kicker? Yeah, he’s not going anywhere until after this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15% trade kicker? Yeah, he’s not going anywhere until after this season.

He can waive it, but only if it makes sense to him to do so.

Still think him being brought out is looking increasingly possible, if Jakob continues to start.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny I was just looking at records and I saw Boston's and I was thinking they going to have to make some moves to get there team in the hunt again or Ainge is going to be in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny I was just looking at records and I saw Boston's and I was thinking they going to have to make some moves to get there team in the hunt again or Ainge is going to be in trouble.
    He should already be in deep . With the wad of high draft picks they’ve had, they should have probably rang, or at the very least made one Finals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of bad luck, losing the amount of talent they did outright, without the cap space to bring in suitable replacements: Irving, Horford, Rozier (granted, turned into Walker), Morris Sr., Hayward (supposedly could have turned into Turner/McDermott).

Outside of nailing Brown/Tatum (which were not viewed as consensus at the time), they've struggled with picks thereafter. It didn't help that some of the teams who's picks they owed turned out better than expected.

S bag was the one superstar/star that was theirs to be had, but even then, I can't fault them for not wanting to trade away Brown for one year of that puke, especially considering the amount of talent they had that season (even though it was obvious chemistry would and did derail them).

Considering it's a lost season and they're loaded with big wings, Gay is pointless for the Magic and there's no chance projects Walker IV and Samanic have enough value to make up the difference.

DeRozan, Walker IV, Eubanks for Gordon, Bamba, Ennis III and Clark, could work contingent on DeRozan agreeing to an extension (which probably isn't happening unless the Raptors signal they're not interested in a reunion).

On his own, it's doubtful Walker IV has much value at this point, but he's a nice secondary piece to a package and they'd be wise to get out ahead since he's unlikely to receive an extension. Fill his roster spot with Khyri Thomas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He can waive it, but only if it makes sense to him to do so.

Still think him being brought out is looking increasingly possible, if Jakob continues to start.
    The player usually has to take a bit of a haircut to get bought out, or, he can waive the kicker and receive his full salary. It’s a pisser, because his kicker salary would be 27,600,000, and the Boston TE is 27,500,000. There’s no way to finesse a TE. The Spurs wouldn’t send him to some hole. Teams inquiring would at least be in the playoff hunt, and possibly in the le hunt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The player usually has to take a bit of a haircut to get bought out, or, he can waive the kicker and receive his full salary. It’s a pisser, because his kicker salary would be 27,600,000, and the Boston TE is 27,500,000. There’s no way to finesse a TE. The Spurs wouldn’t send him to some hole. Teams inquiring would at least be in the playoff hunt, and possibly in the le hunt.
    At this point (this point meaning around April 1st, shortly after the trade deadline), I'm not sure how much of a haircut it would be. They may just waive him and he'd get his full salary plus the prorated-vet min from a playoff team.

I think that he'd probably be amenable to waiving his kicker if the Spurs can find a trade for him that puts him in a good situation.

Getting a 15% bonus as a parting gift is nice for Aldridge but if he doesn't waive it then it makes a trade even harder. If he doesn't get traded then he'd likely be brought out so so he wouldn't likely get it anyways.

I think we agree that he probably isn't going to be happy coming off the bench so it seems almost inevitable that there's going to be some type of break-up. Obviously, a trade would be better for the Spurs while a buyout would probably help them too. Then again, the Spurs front office rep would likely take another hit because they didn't move him earlier.
    Last edited by cd021; 03-01-2021 at 06:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we don't trade derozan now, we will regret it... U don't neglect to trade him at the age he is in based on him playing well vs some lottery teams or on hopes that he will help us win a ring... In a few years his game will be even more antiquated and his contract will be untradeable and we will have another version of LMA that we wished we traded when we could... The objective is to win, or to gain assets that can be used to build towards winning... Derozan has shown us who he is... He isn't going to magically turn into a winner going on age 32... Sell high

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we don't trade derozan now, we will regret it... U don't neglect to trade him at the age he is in based on him playing well vs some lottery teams or on hopes that he will help us win a ring... In a few years his game will be even more antiquated and his contract will be untradeable and we will have another version of LMA that we wished we traded when we could... The objective is to win, or to gain assets that can be used to build towards winning... Derozan has shown us who he is... He isn't going to magically turn into a winner going on age 32... Sell high
    Blake Griffin + Saddiq Bey for Derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake Griffin + Saddiq Bey for Derozan.
    Nah. Griffin eats up $40 million of the Spurs ~$48 million in cap. Detroit will probably either buy him out or waive him and take the hit rather than give up multiple assets to off load him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted in the LMA and DeRozan trade thread but relevant here:

According to Zach Lowe (by way of Bobby Marks from ESPN) on the BS Podcast the Heat actually can trade a future first if they change their pick protection.

Think its this one:

2023 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) to the Oklahoma City Thunder

If Miami misses the playoffs in 2023 then that pick doesn't convey, and then they keep the pick. If they make the playoffs then that pick goes to OKC.

If true, then Miami can change the pick protection in a trade with the Spurs in which their 2023 1st would convey to the Spurs in a potential trade if the Heat misses the playoffs.

Maybe a package including Iggy, Olynyk, Achiuwa and a 1st* for DDR and Eubanks.

(* could be 1-5 and 16-30 protected in 2023, 2024, and 2025 otherwise it becomes 2 future seconds)

Spurs could end up with a pick 6-15 in 2023, 2024, or 2025 in a hypothetical trade if that pick conveys.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. Griffin eats up $40 million of the Spurs ~$48 million in cap. Detroit will probably either buy him out or waive him and take the hit rather than give up multiple assets to off load him.
    Would you do it for Griffin + lottery protected first?

Thread Information