Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In the last year, I've rewatched Sopranos, the Wire, and BB. The Sopranos felt a little dated in how the series was shot and written. Still great but right now, I've got:

1) BB
    2) The Wire
    3) The Sopranos

Not sure where the rest of my top 5 winds up. Better Call Saul, Bosch, Downton Abbey probably get to top 6 in some order. About to rewatch DA.
    Sherlock was also great but it was almost like watching several individual movies.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In the last year, I've rewatched Sopranos, the Wire, and BB. The Sopranos felt a little dated in how the series was shot and written. Still great but right now, I've got:

1) BB
    2) The Wire
    3) The Sopranos

Not sure where the rest of my top 5 winds up. Better Call Saul, Bosch, Downton Abbey probably get to top 6 in some order. About to rewatch DA.
    Sherlock was also great but it was almost like watching several individual movies.
    Recently binged Sopranos. Def deserves praise for trail blazing but overall way inferior to modern shows imo. Almost every character outside of Paulie and Sylv is easily hateable, hearing Tony struggle to breathe for 30-40 hours gets a little annoying, and the ending blew
    Tony was a piece of give us some closure of him getting capped at least haha

BB did not fall down that trap at least

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    DA is atually good, but the mother freaks me out, she's always smiling lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Recently binged Sopranos. Def deserves praise for trail blazing but overall way inferior to modern shows imo. Almost every character outside of Paulie and Sylv is easily hateable, hearing Tony struggle to breathe for 30-40 hours gets a little annoying, and the ending blew

Yeah...originally, I never noticed how much you hear Tony breathing until this last binge.
    Some other negatives that didn't really bother me when it was week to week but now were boring to me:

1) all the sessions with Melfi. Including her sessions with her psychiatrist.
    2) all the dreams and dream episodes
    3) ing punk as AJ
    4) Tony's sister

There's probably a few more.

I found myself just wanting to get to the gangster .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...originally, I never noticed how much you hear Tony breathing until this last binge.
    Some other negatives that didn't really bother me when it was week to week but now were boring to me:

3) ing punk as AJ
    4) Tony's sister

yeah melfi should have been phased out sooner instead they doubled down. Like her rape scene, totally unnecessary
    the dreams and dream episodes are kinda what I respect, it's when HBO began getting artsy with television.
    Yeah tonys' son became unrealistically hateable...trying to kill his uncle etc, was weird and cringey

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

1) BB
    2) The Wire
    3) The Sopranos

dont remember exactly how i ranked it here last time, but i probably had those 3 + thrones in my top 4. pretty sure i had BB #1 as well

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

3) ing punk as AJ
    4) Tony's sister

the dreams always bored me

and AJ was a worthless character. its not that he was unlikeable, he was just poorly written and never contributed anything to the show. his random "what is even the point of life" phase was really cringey to watch

i like Milfi's scene. and janice is a good example of a good character that is fun to hate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i dont mind unlikeable characters. very different from bad/worthless characters.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    'The Wire' is the most over-rated show by ST posters, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Still The Wire for me on the strength of its social commentary. But it's close.

Recently finished my 4th watch and I think Season 1 might be my top season now. Just a perfect season of TV.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What do you mean how it was written and shot?

Show might be dated in terms of the times but it still has top notch writing. The Sopranos was never a show about glamorous or wide shots so dont know what you mean. it's a visceral show. The Wire, Oz is the same way.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What do you mean how it was written and shot?

Show might be dated in terms of the times but it still has top notch writing. The Sopranos was never a show about glamorous or wide shots so dont know what you mean. it's a visceral show. The Wire, Oz is the same way.
    As to the writing, a lot of the interactions between the characters seem pretty cheesy now. Especially with the interactions between Tony and his family.
    And I don't know enough about cinematography to precisely define what I mean with the shooting. But it looks more like a network show than I remembered. As I said, it just seems dated. Which I guess isn't crazy in that it's over 20 years old. But I didn't notice the same when watching BB or The Wire.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Tony was taken out by Members Only Guy while Meadow, Tony's guardian angel, was trying to parallel park instead of sitting in the spot that would have blocked Members Only Guy from having a clear shot at Tony. Patsy Parisi was the only guy with beef against Tony who knew Tony would be at Holsten's since his son was banging Meadow. Patsy paid Members Only Guy to kill Tony. Right as Meadow walked in the door, the bell rang, it flashed to Tony's view which had gone all black because he's killed instantly when Members Only Guy came out of the toilet with more than just his in his hand.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

James Gandofini gained so much weight during that series, no doubt ushered him to his early demise. When he drops that AR on his belly in the later episode and it just looks like jello, you knew he was a short timer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As to the writing, a lot of the interactions between the characters seem pretty cheesy now. Especially with the interactions between Tony and his family.
    And I don't know enough about cinematography to precisely define what I mean with the shooting. But it looks more like a network show than I remembered. As I said, it just seems dated. Which I guess isn't crazy in that it's over 20 years old. But I didn't notice the same when watching BB or The Wire.
    We don't got no in' capicola!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Never saw The Wire. Is that the one about Baltimore?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    1) BB
    2) The Wire
    3) The Sopranos
    it pretty much seems like these are the consensus top 3 in any order, just a matter of personal preference (or whichever one you watched first)

BCS imo is arguably better than BB, but the issue is that it wouldnt exist without BB. but i personally think i actually have enjoyed watching it more.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The Messengers
    How to Get Away with Murder

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Better Call Saul doesn't have anywhere close to the rewatchability of Breaking Bad. I love BCS but I don't know if it's something I'll be that likely to revisit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Tony was taken out by Members Only Guy while Meadow, Tony's guardian angel, was trying to parallel park instead of sitting in the spot that would have blocked Members Only Guy from having a clear shot at Tony. Patsy Parisi was the only guy with beef against Tony who knew Tony would be at Holsten's since his son was banging Meadow. Patsy paid Members Only Guy to kill Tony. Right as Meadow walked in the door, the bell rang, it flashed to Tony's view which had gone all black because he's killed instantly when Members Only Guy came out of the toilet with more than just his in his hand.
    yeah idk. They left it too open to interpretation for my tastes

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Still The Wire for me on the strength of its social commentary.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I view it a bit differently. Patsy was always a little be of a wimp got so I doubt he had the balls to order the hit. Specially since at that point he was really in with the family.

Instead I think it was a hit put on by one of Phil's guy that was still yet to be cancel out. A rogue type hit or ill timed miscommunicated hit if you will.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I view it a bit differently. Patsy was always a little be of a wimp got so I doubt he had the balls to order the hit. Specially since at that point he was really in with the family.

Instead I think it was a hit put on by one of Phil's guy that was still yet to be cancel out. A rogue type hit or ill timed miscommunicated hit if you will.
    Patsy wasn't in on the Soprano family. He ing hated the Sopranos. Go watch that scene in Tony's living room in the last episode and the look Patsy gives Tony when he refills his glass. Tony's crew had been wiped out of anyone loyal to him with Sil on life support and Chris and Bobby in the ground, so perfect time for Patsy to avenge his brother's murder. And none of Phil's crew knew where Tony was, as did none of Tony's crew other than Patsy. Patsy had him killed and took over the DiMeo family.

EDIT: Here's the clip

Last edited by baseline bum; 05-10-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Plus we know Patsy already planned on killing Tony, but then chickened out and just pissed in his pool instead earlier in the series. But that was back when Tony was in a much stronger position and Patsy was a nobody.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    yeah idk. They left it too open to interpretation for my tastes
    1. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (random lady comes in)
    2. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (old man in USA hat comes in)
    3. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Carmella comes in)
    4. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door (Members Only Guy comes in, followed by AJ not too far behind)

Members Only Guy goes to men's room with a 100% clear line of sight straight to Tony since Meadow isn't sitting there. Meadow runs across the street an into Holsten's

5. Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, then pitch black (Meadow comes in)

I don't see how anyone can interpret that as anything other than Members Only Guy pulling a Michael Corleone on Tony. They get that Godfather reference into the last scene as well as the Goodfellas reference that you never see it coming when you're murdered (which Bobby also brought up in the episode they were on the boat going to Canada).

I don't see what's ambiguous about that ending. It's a crystal clear pattern

Bell rings, camera goes to straight on shot of Tony's face, camera goes to Tony's view looking at door

Except in the fifth time Tony's view is black because he's killed instantly by Members Only Guy who could just walk straight up to him and blow his brains out since the seat next to Tony is empty.

It's easily my favorite ending I have seen to any series.

Thread Information