Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Has anyone been to this new beer/wine store yet? It's in the Forum. From what I hear, it's suppose to be huge.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I live near the Forum, and go there a lot. Haven't noticed it yet... which end is it at?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    yeah

even victoria has one

nothing special, a load of the hard stuff at prices $1 less than the compe ion

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I see it all the time and it's usually pretty crowded ... keep meaning to check it out but haven't yet.

It's where the new Circuit City was for about 2 months.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it's where the Circuit City used to be.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    oh, that's across 35 from the Forum...

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes.... this place is Gigantic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so... a Circuit City full of liquor? geez!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That place is quite overwhelming, I must say. Good selection of wine, although not worth the drive for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so... a Circuit City full of liquor? geez!
    That's what I'm saying!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If I had any money now, I'd go there tonight and check it out, and give a review on ST... but I'm broke...

(need to shop at Dollar Stores more I guess)

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spec's is awesome. I'm glad they are branching out into SA. They are originally here in Houston and the original store is now 2 city blocks big. For real. They sell every beer you can legally buy in Texas, huge wine selection and I've always enjoyed their liquor section.

I heart Spec's. 5% off when you pay in cash. And the deli food is great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Spec's is awesome. I'm glad they are branching out into SA. They are originally here in Houston and the original store is now 2 city blocks big. For real. They sell every beer you can legally buy in Texas, huge wine selection and I've always enjoyed their liquor section.

Yeah the Specs in midtown is pretty bad ass.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We usually go to one off Westheimer, but it's worth a special trip now and again. There is a teeny one near our house (corner of Gessner and 59) but we've never been in there. Don't know why.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's it. I'm going this weekend to find this place.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

The Grand Cru sandwich is amazing. They don't quite have every beer, it's close. The staff usually sucks for recommendations though. They also have great walk-in unadvertised deals too.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I didn't realize they had a deli in there ... interesting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I imagine Spec's is what an alcoholic envisions when he thinks of heaven.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I imagine Spec's is what an alcoholic envisions when he thinks of heaven.
    There is a Gabriel's/Spec's out let in San Marcos, that's probably it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but how is the beer...? not the selection, but the actual care and storage. I've been several places in town, and when I try an obscure import beer, it tastes skunky or whatever. Like it is super old, or it was stored cold, then hot, then cold again, or whatever...

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Grand Cru sandwich is amazing. They don't quite have every beer, it's close. The staff usually sucks for recommendations though. They also have great walk-in unadvertised deals too.
    They do at the flagship store (the one on Smith street in downtown Houston); but the 'family' locations are hit and miss.

The tiny one near our house couldn't possibly, but the bigger one we frequent has a huge selection.

The deli depends on location, SW - I don't know if the SA location has one or not, but try it out if they do. They just added one recently to the one we visit (which makes it sound like we go often - we don't. I can't drink with the meds I'm on right now, more's the pity, but I have long enjoyed Spec's).

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but how is the beer...? not the selection, but the actual care and storage. I've been several places in town, and when I try an obscure import beer, it tastes skunky or whatever. Like it is super old, or it was stored cold, then hot, then cold again, or whatever...
    I've never had any issues from the Houston locations I've visited, but I would guess it varies by location. The imports I recall were great (but it's been several months since I was either not on meds or not pregnant, so it's been awhile).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just avoid clear or green bottles and you should be ok - they don't block UV light near as good as brown bottles. . If what you like does come in those bottles, avoid 6 packs where the bottle doesn't reach up on the neck - more exposure to UV light just ruins beer and the fluorescent lights can make it worse. Cold/hot usually doesn't matter too much, unless they are wildly varying extremes.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    umm..how much is the crown there?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Great store. They had six packs of Deschutes Black Butte Porter on sale for $5.99 the other day, so I had to pick up a couple. I also love the cash discount (they also give it for check and debit). On average their six packs seem to be about 70 cents or so cheaper than their compe ion, and the selection is outstanding.

They carry almost all of my favorites too: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Celebration Ale, Stout, and Porter. Stone IPA, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter, and two types of Arrogant Bas Ale. Pilsner Urquell, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, and lots of stuff from breweries that I've been wanting to try like Deschutes and Brooklyn Brewery. About the only stuff I really love that I didn't see were Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale (I think it's seasonal) and Rogue Shakespeare Stout (not sure why they didn't order this one).
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thread Information