Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RD2191, Best Buy just put God of War on sale for $24.99 on their website. You should have no problem getting them to price match in store. I do that all the time when buying games from Best Buy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RD2191, Best Buy just put God of War on sale for $24.99 on their website. You should have no problem getting them to price match in store. I do that all the time when buying games from Best Buy.
    thanks for the head up. I'll have to check it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the head up. I'll have to check it out.
    I was just down at the Best Buy at the Forum (picked up a copy of God of War and RDR2 for a gift) and they had a few Switches with hackable serials. I saw one with grey joycons with an XAW100566***** number and a couple others that were XAW10077***, I think grey but might have seen a blue and red neon joycons one too. According to gbatemp anything XAW10078*** or lower is hackable. And they're giving a $25 gift card with the purchase of the system, so not too bad a deal to get a hackable Switch brand new for effectively $300 after tax.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-i...stions.481215/

Also that $25 was the regular price for God of War. Usually I have to get them to price match their website to get the sale prices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh the first hour+ of RDR2 is painfully slow... its almost all cinematics at this point as you slowly walk to follow another character. early on when they talk about the train, i was thinkin "oh, finally something exciting" and it was a letdown. short and dreadfully easy.

also the controls feel clunky, but that's just going to take adjustment. still have to get used to all these different item types and different things i gotta pay attention to (health/stamina... not only meters but also the cores. just seems tedious imo). its like in San Andreas when u had to pay attention to what your character ate and had to hit the gym and stuff. felt more like a chore than anything.

but obviously i'm not writing the game off yet. but at this early juncture, its just a pretty $60 wall painting
    Managing your cores gets fairly painfree and seamless as you level up your health, stamina, etc. You'll be able to go a long while and survive multiple fights without doing a whole lot. I pretty much just made Arthur eat something twice a day while roaming and would usually sleep at night unless there was something specific I wanted to do at that time (wandering around the swamp at night is ed up). And my weight usually stayed at "average". Plus when you learn to hunt and forage better, you'll be cooking food that adds extra benefits to your cores.

The horse I'd feed/brush whenever I ate. It gets to level 4 bond pretty quick, but you want to get a better horse than that you start with.

Edit: And always keep at least two outfits on your horse. One for warm weather and one for cold (you start with both). Wandering into the snow with short sleeves is a good way to up your cores.
    Last edited by Xevious; 12-19-2018 at 12:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get in here DJR210, 140, Cry Havoc, ElNono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a given after GTA V made it too, IMO

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    , I might have to upgrade my PC tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I might have to upgrade my PC tbh
    I'm still going to wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kind of a given after GTA V made it too, IMO
    Not really, every GTA besides spinoffs have made their way to PC since GTA 3. This is the 3rd Red Dead and the other 2 are only on consoles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, looks like it will be sooner than later too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really, every GTA besides spinoffs have made their way to PC since GTA 3. This is the 3rd Red Dead and the other 2 are only on consoles.
    The engine they use since 2006 (RAGE), was originally written and optimized for the Xbox 360. It even performed fairly poorly when ported to the PS3 (if you remember, the Xbox version of GTA 4 ran at a higher resolution than the PS3 version).

They’ve done a lot of work on that since 2011, with the Windows version of GTA V being the first version of the engine doing 4K. I don’t think technologically they have impediments now, but they’ll probably continue to release on console first just strictly on revenue.

And by that I don’t mean that PC sales might be smaller, but doing QA and support on Windows hardware has always been more costly due to the variety of hardware.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check the USER reviews on metacritic tbh. Don't fall for the hype. This is more of an interactive movie than a game imo tbh FWIW
    Yeah. Brief search of your post history shows YOU are the fat ass dork hahahahah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im still in the early missions of chapter 4...

very early in the game, the main narrative feels so weak and remote, that you can wander around and free roam and that feels totally fine. by the middle-end of the chapter 3, the story really starts to ramp and it feels awkward to take breaks in the action, i almost feel compelled to move forward with main missions.

the main issue with this game is the lack of difficulty slider. i know that this has been a staple of the GTA/RDR franchises, and the story/set pieces are supposed to dominate your experience, rather than sheer gameplay, but by chapter 3 u just sorta feel like rambo during main quests. again though, that's basically always been a staple of R* games, and its safe to say the narrative/set pieces do not disappoint. i mean there are artificial ways to ramp your difficulty... dont use items or deadeye, disable auto aim, etc. but again, this isn't a critique unique to this game, its a R* thing

while i'm still only about 52% through the game, per the completion tracker, i'll say the story/narrative in this game crush anything GTA related, but GTA, and particularly V, had such an amazing arcade feel to it, with so much over the top action, that it has much more replay value than RDR2. starting a new game of RDR2 would seem like such a daunting commitment. but during this initial play-through its compelling as
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im still in the early missions of chapter 4...

very early in the game, the main narrative feels so weak and remote, that you can wander around and free roam and that feels totally fine. by the middle-end of the chapter 3, the story really starts to ramp and it feels awkward to take breaks in the action, i almost feel compelled to move forward with main missions.
    That's about right. The end of chapter 3 through chapter 5 are kind of fast and furious in feel. It feels ed up to go on a fishing trip while Jack is missing for example. Without giving anything away, you as the player want to slow down a little bit in chapter 6 and the stranger missions even reflect that, with more personal, character-building type stuff. You'll probably even choose to avoid camp whenever possible, whereas the camp (and all the comaraderie within) are huge parts of the earlier chapters.

As for the comparisons to GTA, Red Dead is a different animal. While the gameplay is more or less the same (horses instead of cars), GTA is basically over-the-top action movie, while Red Dead is a little more measured with an incredible story and characterization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's about right. The end of chapter 3 through chapter 5 are kind of fast and furious in feel. It feels ed up to go on a fishing trip while Jack is missing for example. Without giving anything away, you as the player want to slow down a little bit in chapter 6 and the stranger missions even reflect that, with more personal, character-building type stuff. You'll probably even choose to avoid camp whenever possible, whereas the camp (and all the comaraderie within) are huge parts of the earlier chapters.

As for the comparisons to GTA, Red Dead is a different animal. While the gameplay is more or less the same (horses instead of cars), GTA is basically over-the-top action movie, while Red Dead is a little more measured with an incredible story and characterization.
    agreed tbh, but just thinkin about it from the perspective of replayability

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Ill probably never play this game. Way too intimidating ( lenghtwise). I always lose focus and attention. Same thing happened with persona 5. At some point i stopped caring and just wanted to finish the dame game.

Red Dead is probably 100+ if you play it right. Way too long for my taste.

40-60 is the sweet spot for RPGs imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Ill probably never play this game. Way too intimidating ( lenghtwise). I always lose focus and attention. Same thing happened with persona 5. At some point i stopped caring and just wanted to finish the dame game.

Red Dead is probably 100+ if you play it right. Way too long for my taste.

40-60 is the sweet spot for RPGs imo
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=27100

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 hrs for main story. So thats roughly 100hrs with the way I usually play games...thats long. I guess ill pick it up once its at the recycled games bin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I easily logged 100+ hours, but it never felt like a chore. You can always speed things along, or slow them down depending on what you want to do.

Persona 5 I'm sure I hit 125ish hours and it just became a slog IMO. Even though I liked it, I was really ready for it to end and I had no desire to play any video games afterwards for months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I easily logged 100+ hours, but it never felt like a chore. You can always speed things along, or slow them down depending on what you want to do.

Persona 5 I'm sure I hit 125ish hours and it just became a slog IMO. Even though I liked it, I was really ready for it to end and I had no desire to play any video games afterwards for months.
    tbh i cant remember ever actually having video game fatigue, in that i didnt want to play any games. but i will say that with games becoming much more cinematic, and with heavier and heavier emphasis on narrative, characters, and stories... picking up a new game is sort of a mental undertaking, because you have to focus and pay attention. its kinda like how when you're tired and just want to relax in front of the tv, you'd rather watch a short show than begin a movie you've never seen before. you need to learn the lore, really get to know the characters, etc.

but ive never felt the need to step away from playing games altogether. back in the day i could just play COD whenver since they were just a bunch of short matches. i dont play online atm, but a solution would just be to play shorter games that are less narrative intensive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but ive never felt the need to step away from playing games altogether. back in the day i could just play COD whenver since they were just a bunch of short matches. i dont play online atm, but a solution would just be to play shorter games that are less narrative intensive
    Yeah the next game I played was (like a fourth run through of) The Last of Us. It was short and familiar. And Spiderman after that, also not very long.

That's really the only time I've experienced fatigue that bad (and I used to play the out of MMOs like Warcraft and Everquest back in the day). I think it was just P5. As I said, it was a slog. I was ignoring housework and just to finish the thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the next game I played was (like a fourth run through of) The Last of Us. It was short and familiar. And Spiderman after that, also not very long.

That's really the only time I've experienced fatigue that bad (and I used to play the out of MMOs like Warcraft and Everquest back in the day). I think it was just P5. As I said, it was a slog. I was ignoring housework and just to finish the thing.
    Play yakuza 0. Just go through the main story. Should be 29 hrs long. I promise its one of the goat story in games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play yakuza 0. Just go through the main story. Should be 29 hrs long. I promise its one of the goat story in games
    I might try that after GoW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got caught up on all the available stranger missions and finished the hunter challenge set (final challenge was the legendary panther)... i feel like i've said this to myself about 15 times by now, but ok NOW i'm going to start actually pushing through the main story

also, absolutely not planning on going for 100% completion or platinum or anything like that. i have zero interest in riding around picking 40 different kinds of herbs and sitting down and playing dominoes and blackjack for hours on end or like that
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-18-2019 at 01:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got caught up on all the available stranger missions and finished the hunter challenge set (final challenge was the legendary panther)... i feel like i've said this to myself about 15 times by now, but ok NOW i'm going to start actually pushing through the main story

also, absolutely not planning on going for 100% completion or platinum or anything like that. i have zero interest in riding around picking 40 different kinds of herbs and sitting down and playing dominoes and blackjack for hours on end or like that
    Boring as tbh

Thread Information