Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont hate the mcdermott acquisition in a vacuum... but the money is a lot for what he is, and combined with the zach collins move, looks like a pretty disgusting offseason if these are the big moves. if they do manage to still go after and land john collins, then i'd be content. but i'm not holding my breath with this FO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont hate the mcdermott acquisition in a vacuum... but the money is a lot for what he is, and combined with the zach collins move, looks like a pretty disgusting offseason if these are the big moves. if they do manage to still go after and land john collins, then i'd be content. but i'm not holding my breath with this FO

Guess its praying atl doesnt match,and assuming spurs send the offer out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

This signing is literally because we value our younger players.
    Yes he’s a good cutter and shooter, will move off the ball, creating space for them and finish plays. It helps their development. I like his fit a lot.

This team won’t be good anyways unless the youth takes a leap, that’s just the truth. He’s a role player that fills a need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    espn’s Tim Bontempts was on espn radio just a bit ago saying this was the biggest head-scratching signing so far.
    reminds me of the draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he’s a good cutter and shooter, will move off the ball, creating space for them and finish plays. It helps their development. I like his fit a lot.

This team won’t be good anyways unless the youth takes a leap, that’s just the truth. He’s a role player that fills a need.
    $14 mil for a role player on a team that's not expected to make the playoffs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a move that makes it look like to casual fan they are doing something while the full on tank is on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, inflation is real man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs so smart they see something in McDermott no one else does.

lol

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a move that makes it look like to casual fan they are doing something while the full on tank is on.
    Pretty much. Sucking...but with class!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Soo fckn true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next season’s motto: Losing the Wright Way!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people so stupid? This is precisely for the future. They get a shooter who can item up the floor for the guards, who is a professional in every way, who will not kill the cap when we no longer need him and need to pay the younger players.

This signing is literally because we value our younger players.
    That's pretty much correct.

The Spurs are signing relatively cheap placehiolders who can play the way Pop wants them to (the "beautiful game"), do some winning in the meantime, and create a culture that the young guys can absorb. They won't learn bad (or dumb) habits they way they might playing with, say, DeRozan.

They're gonna be more like an international team, going against the flow -- that's the only way a small market team can compete.

I wouldn't even be that surprised to see them playing a lot more zone D.

It's an attempt by the Spurs to have their cake and eat it too, do a little winning but also a lot of building.

And a fairly good one given their options.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-02-2021 at 09:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given this the Primo pick kinda makes sense. IF he develops into playmaker/leader that will take a couple years in Austin and you might as well go real young with that pick and see what happens.

Need to start buying future picks using whatever cap space though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty much correct.

The Spurs are signing relatively cheap placehiolders who can play they way Pop wants them to (the "beautiful game"), do some winning in the meantime, and create a culture that the young guys can absorb. They won't learn bad (or dumb) habits they way they might playing with, say, DeRozan.

They're gonna be more like an international team, going against the flow -- that's the only way a small market team can compete.

I wouldn't even be that surprised to see them playing a lot more zone D.

It's an attempt by the Spurs to have their cake and eat it too, do a little winning but also a lot of building.

And a fairly good one given their options.
    Agreed. I mean, it’s awful but at least we should finally see the young players who are somehow also practically veterans now.

Another unintended aspect: if Becky is the coach, at least there won’t be a lot of weeds throwing her under the bus when we are terrible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $14 mil for a role player on a team that's not expected to make the playoffs?
    What were you expecting really?

Its like this was unexpected. To tell you the truth I didn’t even think McBucketts would want to be here tbqh. Spurs had to pay up. Dieng didn’t want to stay here. So all in all at least he doesn’t have injured feet and 3 surgeries in 2 years.

Overall though the FO should have jumpstarted the rebuild way back, sold the veterans got picks and who knows if the team would by now have at least a standouts player to build around. What we are seeing right now was predictable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want to win 30-35 games again. I want a shot at a franchise player with a top pick; especially if we couldn’t land an all star upside type Fa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want to win 30-35 games again. I want a shot at a franchise player with a top pick; especially if we couldn’t land an all star upside type Fa
    That's spoiled fan talk; in PATFO we trust!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What were you expecting really?

Its like this was unexpected. To tell you the truth I didn’t even think McBucketts would want to be here tbqh. Spurs had to pay up. Dieng didn’t want to stay here. So all in all at least he doesn’t have injured feet and 3 surgeries in 2 years.

Overall though the FO should have jumpstarted the rebuild way back, sold the veterans got picks and who knows if the team would by now have at least a standouts player to build around. What we are seeing right now was predictable.
    didnt think mcdermoot would come here? Sweetheart he got 14 mil per,that was his fckn payday. Dude would went to the ymca for that scratch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking with character and integrity, the right way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted that since Kawhi was traded tbh. Never wanted Derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m fine winning 35 games if the team has youth and upside like John Collins + our youth. I’m not fine missing out on top picks for Doug McDermott

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking with character and integrity, the right way.
    The Wright Way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there anyway the Spurs can front load a contract like this year $20, next year $14 million and the third year $8 especially if they don’t plan on offering anyone the max? Same for Collins that when we might be compe ive in hopefully a few years they might have Collins and McDermott on low expiring salary contracts with cap space because they front loaded the contacts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson and Tim Duncan are not coming through any doors. Most of us, including me, have never known what the Spurs being a middling team looks like and we're learning on the fly. Let's just make sure DeRozan era is behind us and hope the team builds an all-star from within from this current stock and future drafts.

McDermott at $15m has value even if as a deadline trade to a contender for a 1st round pick in the next two seasons. We'll have someone who's just as or more useful from 3pt than Gay. I've always liked the guy out of Creighton so I'm biased on the signing. I think Wright made a good move for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didnt think mcdermoot would come here? Sweetheart he got 14 mil per,that was his fckn payday. Dude would went to the ymca for that scratch
    That’s the only reason he’s a Spur. The $14 million so if fans -as spupadre- are complaining about the amount don’t expect anyone to want to come to the team.. like what do fans expect tbh? No one is signing a one year cheap deal to play in SA!

Thread Information