Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like getting out and enjoying the theater experience. So do a lot of people or else they would have died in the 80s when VCRs became a thing.
    TVs were in the 80s though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Movie theaters would be great, if not for all the fat slobs having to graze for 2 hours straight.

Prefer my dedicated theater room.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of books out there!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's been me this entire year so far. Read more books the last three months than the last three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TVs were in the 80s though.
    90s too but I loved going to blockbuster

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Had no idea there was this much animosity towards the movie theater experience. I'd rather put money into my home than ever spending on a home theater, lol. I guess that means you made it, or something.

Food is and overpriced, so we just tend to sneak in our own snacks and buy popcorn before going out to eat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had no idea there was this much animosity towards the movie theater experience. I'd rather put money into my home than ever spending on a home theater, lol. I guess that means you made it, or something.

Food is and overpriced, so we just tend to sneak in our own snacks and buy popcorn before going out to eat
    As a music fan, you should have a good stereo at the very least (and no, headphones aren't acceptable).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really only miss movies that make the most of the theater experience. I hope Austin's numbers are good enough to justify going out to watch Tenet in IMAX.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    As a music fan, you should have a good stereo at the very least (and no, headphones aren't acceptable).
    I have headphones and an AMP, pal.

Have a soubdbar, but I don't take movie watching that serious

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really only miss movies that make the most of the theater experience. I hope Austin's numbers are good enough to justify going out to watch Tenet in IMAX.
    If there were more movies like Grindhouse then yeah I'd miss theaters. God that was so good in the theater I went back and watched it again the next night and then again a week later, but on DVD it wasn't nearly as fun.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there were more movies like Grindhouse then yeah I'd miss theaters. God that was so good in the theater I went back and watched it again the next night and then again a week later, but on DVD it wasn't nearly as fun.
    I can see that-- I didn't see it in the theater and the Rodriguez part was a miss for me. 1917 was great in the theater; I can't see its having the same impact in a first-time viewing at home. Nolan films have been a guaranteed theater experience for me since Dark Knight. The Russos were headed in that direction too but I think they're getting all Netflixy now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have headphones and an AMP, pal.

Have a soubdbar, but I don't take movie watching that serious
    If your living situation demands you use headphones because of space or neighbor concerns, they're a decent compromise. But a proper speaker system blows headphones away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So you spend money to see movies but you think investing in entertainment at home is wasting money? Mexicans

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If your living situation demands you use headphones because of space or neighbor concerns, they're a decent compromise. But a proper speaker system blows headphones away.
    Disagree

I had some Sennheiser HD650's but had to get rid of them cause they were open and now have some closed Beyer dynamics.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So you spend money to see movies but you think investing in entertainment at home is wasting money? Mexicans
    I have no idea how much a home theater costs. I'm sure I'd rather put a pool in my house or add a second story, though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea how much a home theater costs. I'm sure I'd rather put a pool in my house or add a second story, though
    Home theater = big LED TV and surround. It doesn't mean you literally put a theater in your home. You can do that for about 2K or less, or more if you feel like sound suppression and some goodies like projectors and such.

A pool is like 70K and the 2nd story is like 130K or so, depending.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Home theater = big LED TV and surround. It doesn't mean you literally put a theater in your home.
    Well , I was thinking some MTV cribs type deal.

I have a sound bar and a 70 inch TV. That's about all I need. Works for fights and football

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree

I had some Sennheiser HD650's but had to get rid of them cause they were open and now have some closed Beyer dynamics.
    I ain't going to tell you what to like like some "stop liking what I don't like" asshole, but technically and objectively (I'll audionerd out on you for a bit), headphones are severely lacking, especially with rendering spatial detail in 3 dimensions. It constrains the soundstage and scale to in your head/around your head rather 2 dimensionally. In simple terms, headphones put a micro version of Elliott Smith in your head while a proper speaker system will bring a life sized Elliott Smith in front of you (how big this sonic image is does rely on the size of your speakers and far apart they're spaced). Then of course headphones don't provide any sort of tactility (i.e. bass slamming your chest).

Crude MSpaint of how each will typically present music. Yeah, even with just two speakers, you can achieve a surround effect and depending on the recording techniques, it can seem like sound is coming from beyond the walls of your room.

That's my nerd screech for the day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well , I was thinking some MTV cribs type deal.

I have a sound bar and a 70 inch TV. That's about all I need. Works for fights and football
    Honestly, ain't trying to gatekeep audio, but if your living situation allows it, invest in a stereo. You don't even need surround. 2 channel can provide a great home theater experience and this system can also double as your main music listening system. Now if you like the intimacy of headphones, disregard what I say. Some people do like the small scale "in your head" presentation of cans, but if you want "the next level," a proper speaker setup will really provide a more immersive experience than any headphone at any price point.

"But I don't want to spend like thousands and ."

Don't need too. This will crush every soundbar in existence and get you 95% there of what stereo is capable of. A lot of the megabuck audiophile systems are trying to chase that last 5 percent.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Home theater = big LED TV and surround. It doesn't mean you literally put a theater in your home. You can do that for about 2K or less, or more if you feel like sound suppression and some goodies like projectors and such.

A pool is like 70K and the 2nd story is like 130K or so, depending.
    You running discreet Atmos (none of this upfiring speaker horse . Speakers actually mounted on ceiling) yet? I'm very tempted, but more of a music guy, even tho atmos mixed music is starting to trickle in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm just anecdoting too, mostly about Embassy and Palladium.

I haven't been to the super bowling alley/theater complex over near 1604/culebra, but I could have sworn they were getting ready to build another around Bulverde Rd/1604
    I don't know about that one, but they've been planning a new theater on 281 north of Bulverde road for a while.

I honestly only go to the movies a couple times a year at most, but it would suck to see Santikos go under.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This truly a bummer for me! I learned about everything Santikos does for the community when I worked for Special Olympics a few years ago. Embassy is the only theater I go to and pre-pandemic I was there at least once per week. Its the cleanest theater in town and the food is outstanding as far as movie food goes. I joined their frequent fliers club and after not much action for the first couple of years, it suddenly took off and I started racking up the points and credits like crazy! I haven’t paid for a ticket for myself in a couple of years. I’ll lose a lot if they go under

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a good time to ask this n8gas

Anyone have any recommendations on good projectors? Picture quality(4k) and brightness are a priority for me.

I am trying out a $300 YABER projector which is nice. 1080p but not as bright and high quality as I hope.

Any good recommemdations under 1k?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that came out weird. I meant The Rim will turn into a cesspool of an old mall the same way Crossroads mall, Ingram Park Mall and North Star were once decent malls. Now they're TOSB status

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a good time to ask this n8gas

Anyone have any recommendations on good projectors? Picture quality(4k) and brightness are a priority for me.

I am trying out a $300 YABER projector which is nice. 1080p but not as bright and high quality as I hope.

Any good recommemdations under 1k?
    Good 4k projectors go for upwards of $2-3k. The Sony ones (for homes) go for $10-20K

Thread Information