Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's your own biases that prevent you from being next level. You basically said any form of faith is irrational.
    You either don't know what faith or rational means. Believing in something that makes no sense whatsoever and for which there is little to no evidence is exactly what irrationality is. Faith fits like a glove there.

There's nothing inherently wrong with something being irrational. Everybody has wishes and hopes, which, a lot of times, are irrational.

The problem is arguing, or even fighting over irrational things, which is a waste of time. By definition, you could never prove to being neither right or wrong.

Rounding up my previous post, that's why fights over irrational ideas are largely driven by fanaticism and emotion.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You either don't know what faith or rational means. Believing in something that makes no sense whatsoever and for which there is little to no evidence is exactly what irrationality is. Faith fits like a glove there.
    "Makes no sense" if you're a cuck like blake and can't comprehend anything more than what's in front of your face, like some dude ing your wife, maybe.

But I don't care if you have faith in anything or not; I just mock your utter arrogance on the matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My issue with that group is that they're non-historians who flat out spout historical untruths about religion's role throughout history, yet position themselves as dispassionate seekers of "truth." See my posts to Spurts about the review of God's Philosophers, where an atheist historian expresses frustration at the lack of historical understanding your average "religion hating" Internet atheist has. They also can't quantify religion's cost/benefit to humanity, and simply speculate that if we weren't held back by "supers ion" for all those eons, then we'd be living in a utopia right now. We've seen societies try the non-religion approach before (the Soviet Union) and all it resulted in was des ution. We've seen scientific concepts like Darwinian Evolution dogmatized to justify abhorrent practices like forced sterilization and eugenics.

The religious mindset will never go away, no matter how much "rationality" you throw at it because we live in an uncertain universe where objective truth is beyond our grasp (and will forever be beyond it), so people use religion to inject some certainty and "truth" into their lives, especially in the face of tragedy. For many people, they need God in this regard to make sense of it all, and the prospect of never seeing their loved ones again is too frightening an idea to have. Also, even if the supernatural aspects of belief/faith die out, it'll be replaced by something else, and it already has in the form of an incredulous faith in technology. You have "science minded" people believing in such nonsense as nanotechnology, cryonics, mind-uploading, simulation theory (where we replace God with a programmer), robot gods, and the like. And this nonsense gets write ups in tech rags like Gizmodo and Motherboard, so people are more prone to believe it since it's sold through the guise of "science."

Basically, our religious mentally is never going away, as stated. Mortality is a powerful driver of our collective imagination, for better or worse.
    woha, back up two steps.

As I mentioned on my previous post, there's nothing inherently wrong with irrational thoughts (other than, perhaps, they foster certain fanaticism over the lack of actual provability). Everybody has hopes, dreams... sometimes more achievable than not. I'm not generally one that will mock somebody that believes in religion, or writes an article about the Spaghetti Monster or nanotech on Motherboard.

Irrationality has a measurable cost, however. Writing an irrational article on Gizmodo, at most, will make people have a few laughs once it's completely blasted. Going to war "because god told me so" and destroying thousands of lives, or immolating over 72 virgins, it's a very, very different story.

That's why I was pointing out that when you bring irrationality into a conflict, there's almost no way it doesn't get worse. Basically because if the conflict was about facts before, now you have to frame it against a bunch of nonsense.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing inherently wrong with something being irrational. Everybody has wishes and hopes, which, a lot of times, are irrational.

The problem is arguing, or even fighting over irrational things, which is a waste of time. By definition, you could never prove to being neither right or wrong.

Rounding up my previous post, that's why fights over irrational ideas are largely driven by fanaticism and emotion.
    I don't make it a matter to argue with people about their faith or lack of faith or the specifics thereof. I just think it's naive to assume that someone cannot be enriched by faith in something that you cannot prove and to cast yourself above that person. But I get it; there's something to be said for little displays of subtle dominance. You feel better about yourself that way. In a paradoxical way, it's your own sort of faith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Makes no sense" if you're a cuck like blake and can't comprehend anything more than what's in front of your face, like some dude ing your wife, maybe.

But I don't care if you have faith in anything or not; I just mock your utter arrogance on the matter.
    You keep getting upset at me, but refuted none of what I said. "if you're a cuck like blake" is not a empirical argument.

I don't do make-believe. If that's what 'next level' is, yeah, that's the cuckoo level I'm definitely not getting to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believing in a creator (not necessarily the creator featured in a specific religion) does make logical sense when you consider the ex nihilo paradox and the probability of the universe being fine-tuned in such a way to harbor our existence (and yes, I'm familiar with the counterarguments to the fine tuned universe argument). It's definitely still a belief based on pure faith since there's no evidence to support intelligent design, but the belief isn't necessarily based on total irrationality. As I said in a prior post, now some thinkers are trying to give intelligent design a "scientific" angle with the simulation argument, which "geniuses" like Elon Monk believe.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no it wasn't. You didn't see murder rate stats I posted? Also, California has always had a significant Latino population. The classic census used to consider Latinos white in those glory days you speak of. I stat things to death because stats are more accurate than anecdotes and arguments from experience. Also, those areas are predominantly rich. Economic stability tends to correlate to lower crime rates. Oh, 30 percent Latino and only 58% white, lowest murder rate out of large cities in the US:

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/20...ities-in-2018/

I'll also reiterate the point that the "white" Italian and Irish immigrants ed the crime rate far higher than Latino immigrants. I'm not saying this to suggest any of the ethnicities are inherently less violent than each other, but to illustrate that crime is more a by product of economic status over anything else. Once those ethnicities maturated into American life over a couple of generations, the crime rate of that group fell dramatically. This has already happened to Latinos (see again, Unz report) and is happening with blacks. Yes, I know blacks have been here as long as whites, but their set backs have been a bit more significant. Sure, Irish and Italians were discriminated against, but weren't lynched in public for leering at white women.
    SD is rich. It's not a big destination for illegals, tbh. And whites still double the existing latinos. Head to LA and it's a different story.

Dude, I grew up in a white socal town that was later flooded with poorer minorities. I know what happens. You're either naive or you're trying to BS the wrong person.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You keep getting upset at me, but refuted none of what I said. "if you're a cuck like blake" is not a empirical argument.

I don't do make-believe. If that's what 'next level' is, yeah, that's the cuckoo level I'm definitely not getting to.
    It doesn't take faith to be a pathetic cuck like blake; just ask him. This has nothing to do with being upset with you, dude. That whole lazy and desperate thing again, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    woha, back up two steps.

As I mentioned on my previous post, there's nothing inherently wrong with irrational thoughts (other than, perhaps, they foster certain fanaticism over the lack of actual provability). Everybody has hopes, dreams... sometimes more achievable than not. I'm not generally one that will mock somebody that believes in religion, or writes an article about the Spaghetti Monster or nanotech on Motherboard.

Irrationality has a measurable cost, however. Writing an irrational article on Gizmodo, at most, will make people have a few laughs once it's completely blasted. Going to war "because god told me so" and destroying thousands of lives, or immolating over 72 virgins, it's a very, very different story.

That's why I was pointing out that when you bring irrationality into a conflict, there's almost no way it doesn't get worse. Basically because if the conflict was about facts before, now you have to frame it against a bunch of nonsense.
    Oh, I don't disagree with you. I just feel it more prudent to blame men and not the idea. I mean, the Nazis (and others) took a fairly innocuous scientific idea and used it as justification for all sorts of terrible . Dumbass Hitler misunderstood Nietzsche's ubermensch concept. The Soviet Union badly misapplied Marx. I just feel like religion is usually unfairly singled out by the Dawkins, et al when there's been just as many ideas from the secular world, many sold as "scientific" and promoted by "scientists" that influenced terrible behavior. The latest one is probably the race/IQ/violence controversy, which was built on specious science, but is used by the "converted" as an excuse for ethno-national policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't make it a matter to argue with people about their faith or lack of faith or the specifics thereof. I just think it's naive to assume that someone cannot be enriched by faith in something that you cannot prove and to cast yourself above that person. But I get it; there's something to be said for little displays of subtle dominance. You feel better about yourself that way. In a paradoxical way, it's your own sort of faith.
    No, actually, I don't think you get it at all. As I mentioned earlier, there's utilitarian, that is, good things that can come from faith. They wouldn't work for me, but, I absolutely agree that helps certain people (which I don't consider any less than me). There's no way to separate religion from psychology, IMO. As much as it ruined a lot of people's lives, it also helped a lot of people.

The biggest problem I see, however, is that having an argument over one guy hopes and dreams over another guy's hope and dreams is largely, well, irrational. There's no basis in provable fact where you can reach a conclusion one was wrong and the other was right. That's just a logical extension of the fact that neither is really talking about anything that we can ascertain conclusively it's right or wrong. It basically becomes Opinion A vs Opinion B. Those kind of discussions we see in this place every day, and are largely driven by personal fanaticism towards our own ideas.

Now, I don't hope or wish Jesus Christ shows up tomorrow on earth, but should it happen, then now we have something empirical to talk about, and we can start flagging: this guy was wrong, this guy was right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SD is rich. It's not a big destination for illegals, tbh. And whites still double the existing latinos. Head to LA and it's a different story.

Dude, I grew up in a white socal town that was later flooded with poorer minorities. I know what happens. You're either naive or you're trying to BS the wrong person.
    What town so I check the historic crime rates? Naïve. . I'm from one of the hardest hit towns in California (not due to immigration, but due to a base closure that removed 10,000 jobs overnight and a historically corrupt city council (majority white. The biggest embezzlers were white). This resulted in more Latino immigration for obvious reasons, and even though the town looks quite bad on paper, it's by no means in "chaos." Yes, crime rates have increased, but the primary blame is due to the city's economic downturn and not because more Latinos. They're not even the primary demo that commits the crime. But I don't want to have that debate, at the moment.

Also, following the city's decline, a load of homeless poured in. Most are white.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apalisoc_9

Christopher Hitchens sounds like the shooter, too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I don't disagree with you. I just feel it more prudent to blame men and not the idea. I mean, the Nazis (and others) took a fairly innocuous scientific idea and used it as justification for all sorts of terrible . Dumbass Hitler misunderstood Nietzsche's ubermensch concept. The Soviet Union badly misapplied Marx. I just feel like religion is usually unfairly singled out by the Dawkins, et al when there's been just as many ideas from the secular world, many sold as "scientific" and promoted by "scientists" that influenced terrible behavior. The latest one is probably the race/IQ/violence controversy, which was built on specious science, but is used by the "converted" as an excuse for ethno-national policies.
    There's some dogma in that, if you think about it. People that took some idea, not quite sure if it was right, but loved it so much that became fanatics about it. Once you cross that bridge, you're done, IMO.

There's a human aversion at a perfectly valid scientific position which is: we don't know yet. We want to be right all the time, and we can accept when we're wrong, but nobody wants to be in the middle. People love to pick sides and defend them to the end, death sometimes.

And we live at a time where this is a well known fact, and some people love to drive a large wedge there. It's actually kind of ironic when I read about drinking the kool aid, or the red/blue pill... that's really fanaticism at work.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    ElNono Spurtacular

Hitch says the moral thing is to kill Jihadists. No faith involved. Just the flat out moral thing to do. What you guys think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kill is certainly his opinion, but capture, lock in jail and throw away the key, for sure. Extremism is the maximum expression of fanaticism, and I don't know one instance where it doesn't end badly.

This guy in New Zealand was a radicalized extremist. It's really not exclusive to islam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, he's maintaining coherency, tbh... you can't make a case about organized religion in general if you start picking and choosing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Sam Harris better, btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's some dogma in that, if you think about it. People that took some idea, not quite sure if it was right, but loved it so much that became fanatics about it. Once you cross that bridge, you're done, IMO.

There's a human aversion at a perfectly valid scientific position which is: we don't know yet. We want to be right all the time, and we can accept when we're wrong, but nobody wants to be in the middle. People love to pick sides and defend them to the end, death sometimes.

And we live at a time where this is a well known fact, and some people love to drive a large wedge there. It's actually kind of ironic when I read about drinking the kool aid, or the red/blue pill... that's really fanaticism at work.
    As I said prior, uncertainty is uncomfortable. And we like simple answers to difficult questions, like the Race/IQ debate. "Oh no, black intellectual achievement compared to whites couldn't possibly be a result of a variety of socioeconomic factors that will take effort (and compassion) to solve. They're just genetically dumber!"

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Kill is certainly his opinion, but capture, lock in jail and throw away the key, for sure.
    What's the redeeming value of keeping them alive?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, actually, I don't think you get it at all. As I mentioned earlier, there's utilitarian, that is, good things that can come from faith. They wouldn't work for me, but, I absolutely agree that helps certain people (which I don't consider any less than me). There's no way to separate religion from psychology, IMO. As much as it ruined a lot of people's lives, it also helped a lot of people.

The biggest problem I see, however, is that having an argument over one guy hopes and dreams over another guy's hope and dreams is largely, well, irrational. There's no basis in provable fact where you can reach a conclusion one was wrong and the other was right. That's just a logical extension of the fact that neither is really talking about anything that we can ascertain conclusively it's right or wrong. It basically becomes Opinion A vs Opinion B. Those kind of discussions we see in this place every day, and are largely driven by personal fanaticism towards our own ideas.

Now, I don't hope or wish Jesus Christ shows up tomorrow on earth, but should it happen, then now we have something empirical to talk about, and we can start flagging: this guy was wrong, this guy was right.
    Well, I think I candidly noted that I have no intention of making points over another person based on faith; so, we're on the same page there. Though, I think it's a bit stupid to equate faith with empiricism. That's not how it works by definition. Your argument against it based on that is naive or laughable really.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What town so I check the historic crime rates? Naïve. . I'm from one of the hardest hit towns in California (not due to immigration, but due to a base closure that removed 10,000 jobs overnight and a historically corrupt city council (majority white. The biggest embezzlers were white). This resulted in more Latino immigration for obvious reasons, and even though the town looks quite bad on paper, it's by no means in "chaos." Yes, crime rates have increased, but the primary blame is due to the city's economic downturn and not because more Latinos. They're not even the primary demo that commits the crime. But I don't want to have that debate, at the moment.

Also, following the city's decline, a load of homeless poured in. Most are white.
    Chicken or the egg stuff, honestly.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Big surprise. Black people committing the most crime.

At least at the end of the day we both understand that poverty and lack of education are the biggest factors in crime. We at least have that common understanding.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooter Hitchens

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the redeeming value of keeping them alive?
    The remote chance they caught the wrong guy, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    woha, back up two steps.

More on this point. I think as conventional religion dissolves over the next century, it'll be replaced by a form of religion where "faith" in technology plays the central role. As a techie/nerd, you know I'm talking about the singularity, with the movement's biggest prophet Ray Kurzweil writing such books led as "The Age of Spiritual Machines." And people, especially in Silicon Valley, take him and his ideas seriously, even if they're total bull . Even A.I. researchers who should know better play up the hype because VCs don't really care about Kalman filters and regression models, they wanna know when am I going to be able to upload my brain into a robot body and live forever!

The pop-sci and pop-tech rags are complicit because the tone of their coverage on these nonsense technologies is very much serious, and with our ever increasing blind faith in technology and "scientists" (I label them in quotes, because while I do think the take their in lab work seriously, they hype up to keep the grant money coming in, and people just take anyone with PhD beside their name at face value), people believe that re ed animatronic chatbots (Sophia) are "alive," and are the first step toward "Skynet" or transcendence or whatever.

Now will this nerdy idea be dogmatized to commit atrocities in the name of it? If history is any indication, any idea that promises immortality, more power, or positions you as superior to the "other," is typically dogmatized. Hopefully we collectively grow up and don't think our tech toys that are sure to wow us over the next century are anything more than toys and tools.

Good read: https://blog.piekniewski.info/2019/0...ffair-with-ai/

Thread Information