Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I now know which porker fluffer mods used to delete all those porker threads. rjv

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You outed yourself brah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our instability at the PG position even existed WITH Parker for the past 3 years due to his regression and his inability to make consistent positive impact in games from, not only an eye test perspective, but from an advanced statistics perspective. . Acting like its because Parker is out is somewhat foolish. These days, along with the past 3 years, his greatest strength ( speed, quickness) has been zapped and he's no longer a one man fast break getting easy points in transition. Or no longer than PnR torpedo getting into the paint and finishing (he hardly ever does this anymore). He may be a better ball handler, but these days he can't utilize that strength to get to the areas of the floor he used to because of his inability to turn corners and get inside the defense. If you want him utilizing his ball handling strength by dribbling out on the perimeter in PnRs getting stonewalled or taking contested 18-20 footers then you're not being very wise.
    i think you are inferring way too much here. it's not my thread so i can't post for the others, but my original post was just to express my opinion that parker's absence hurt us because there are some things he brings to the table that others do not. yes, he is no longer quick physically but he is still the best ball-handler of the bunch. we are currently getting killed by turnovers as a result of the current crop of PG's ball-handlers as well as their poor shooting although forbes has been more consistent as of late. your first statement basically agrees with the assertion that there is instability. i haven't made any statements equating parker's return to games won or lost. i simply stated he adds some dimensions to the position that are absent. as to my posts, that is not implying he is the panacea to our woes at this position.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    parker is not what he was but he is better than any of the PGs we have at this time. I am not saying potentially because we have some (namely murray) that have the potential to be better even by the end of this season, but there are aspects to tony's game that provide stability to the offense (and defense) that are clearly missing at this time.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude is moving the ing goal post.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damidget melting down

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think you are inferring way too much here. it's not my thread so i can't post for the others, but my original post was just to express my opinion that parker's absence hurt us because there are some things he brings to the table that others do not. yes, he is no longer quick physically but he is still the best ball-handler of the bunch. we are currently getting killed by turnovers as a result of the current crop of PG's ball-handlers as well as their poor shooting although forbes has been more consistent as of late. your first statement basically agrees with the assertion that there is instability. i haven't made any statements equating parker's return to games won or lost. i simply stated he adds some dimensions to the position that are absent. as to my posts, that is not implying he is the panacea to our woes at this position.
    In regards to the turnovers, yes Spurs are turning it over way too much. But that's not because of the point guards ball handling. Actually, over the past few years, Parker averaged around the same amount of TO's as Murray/Mills. So there wouldn't be anymore reduction of turnovers with Parker over them two. Spurs turnover problems are happening because they are forcing high low passes over the top or forcing passes in the interior after waiting too long ( Pau, LA, Rudy). Pau has been terrible. All of the front court players have been pretty pathetic passing the ball in the interior-- that's not a PG turnover issue.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 11-17-2017 at 11:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, that does read worse than intended to. parker is not going to be a savior in any way shape or form and his better days are way behind him. but mills sucks, white is out, forbes and paul are more tweeners than traditional PGs and that leaves murray who is similar to what parker was when he first came in to the league. will parker stay healthy? who the knows? is he better than murray. athletically, no. but he has experience and he is more of a consistently stable presence on the floor. now, i will be pissed if murray gets a very diminished role by virtue of parker's return as it is my hope that parker comes off the bench and gets minutes similar to manu's. but we have a big problem at the PG position and in my opinion there are still some aspects to that position that parker can bring which the others currently lack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In regards to the turnovers, yes Spurs are turning it over way too much. But that's not because of the point guards ball handling. Actually, over the past few years, Parker averaged around the same amount of TO's as Murray/Mills. So there wouldn't be anymore reduction of turnovers with Parker over them two. Spurs turnover problems are happening because they are forcing high low passes over the top or forcing passes in the interior after waiting too long ( Pau, LA, Rudy). Pau has been terrible. All of the front court players have been pretty pathetic passing the ball in the interior-- that's not a PG turnover issue.
    i was thinking more of the times where murray gets his pocket picked because he still hasn't learned how to keep the ball down. he almost seems clumsy with his dribble and overexcited. sometimes, he just flat out loses control of the dribble. and some turnovers are an indirect result of the other not-so-traditional-PG's having to give up the ball to another player because they can't dribble out of a trap, read a defense or they get themselves pinned in.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, that does read worse than intended to. parker is not going to be a savior in any way shape or form and his better days are way behind him. but mills sucks, white is out, forbes and paul are more tweeners than traditional PGs and that leaves murray who is similar to what parker was when he first came in to the league. will parker stay healthy? who the knows? is he better than murray. athletically, no. but he has experience and he is more of a consistently stable presence on the floor. now, i will be pissed if murray gets a very diminished role by virtue of parker's return as it is my hope that parker comes off the bench and gets minutes similar to manu's. but we have a big problem at the PG position and in my opinion there are still some aspects to that position that parker can bring which the others currently lack.
    You keep writing a lot of white noise. Ok so he plays different. Does it translate to wins. Not one bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You keep writing a lot of white noise. Ok so he plays different. Does it translate to wins. Not one bit.
    it may not. i don't want to put a number to it because he is not the same parker of 2013 or so. but for as many guards as we have, we are so vulnerable there. and murray is not going to become an all-star overnight.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it may not. i don't want to put a number to it because he is not the same parker of 2013 or so. but for as many guards as we have, we are so vulnerable there. and murray is not going to become an all-star overnight.
    Only consistent players are stars. He isn't one yet. I don't think anyone has said that. It's a learning process that will cost games. I've said that already. But he has flashes of greatness. He will be a good PG in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only consistent players are stars. He isn't one yet. I don't think anyone has said that. It's a learning process that will cost games. I've said that already. But he has flashes of greatness. He will be a good PG in the future.
    i completely agree on murray.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was thinking more of the times where murray gets his pocket picked because he still hasn't learned how to keep the ball down. he almost seems clumsy with his dribble and overexcited. sometimes, he just flat out loses control of the dribble. and some turnovers are an indirect result of the other not-so-traditional-PG's having to give up the ball to another player because they can't dribble out of a trap, read a defense or they get themselves pinned in.
    Which has happened maybe 3 times in 15 games ( not a huge issue). Murray has actually has done a great job on tightening his game up on both ends. He's no longer forcing it inside in transition when the numbers are against him. He's pulling it back and getting everyone into a half court set.

The PGs on this team don't have a big enough responsibility on offense for ball handling to be a trait that moves the needle. Even when TP comes back, if you want his ball handling to be an edge then he has to have the ball a lot and that's not a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which has happened maybe 3 times in 15 games ( not a huge issue). Murray has actually has done a great job on tightening his game up on both ends. He's no longer forcing it inside in transition when the numbers are against him. He's pulling it back and getting everyone into a half court set.

The PGs on this team don't have a big enough responsibility on offense for ball handling to be a trait that moves the needle. Even when TP comes back, if you want his ball handling to be an edge then he has to have the ball a lot and that's not a good thing.
    i still want to see murray get a better handle on the ball. i agree that we are seeing some gradual growth from murray as well. he's not as hyper coming up the floor on a break and he has learned to reel it back in when he has to. he's even attempted more jump shots even if less than half are falling. as they start to drop for him his confidence will continue to grow as well. as to the possession of the ball in one player's hands, that's more of an issue as to when leonard returns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i still want to see murray get a better handle on the ball. i agree that we are seeing some gradual growth from murray as well. he's not as hyper coming up the floor on a break and he has learned to reel it back in when he has to. he's even attempted more jump shots even if less than half are falling. as they start to drop for him his confidence will continue to grow as well. as to the possession of the ball in one player's hands, that's more of an issue as to when leonard returns.
    And all this back and forth comes back to my thoughts that the PG position on this Spurs team does not possess an edge offensively. The point guards are too inconsistent on offense, across the board.

Murray holds the only edge the Spurs have at the position and thats on the defensive end. Parker and Mills dont and cant provide that.

Spurs will be better off and have a higher ceiling playing their strengths and edges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And all this back and forth comes back to my thoughts that the PG position on this Spurs team does not possess an edge offensively. The point guards are too inconsistent on offense, across the board.

Murray holds the only edge the Spurs have at the position and thats on the defensive end. Parker and Mills dont and cant provide that.

Spurs will be better off and have a higher ceiling playing their strengths and edges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my nigg' dabom in panic mode... he knows that TP starting is coming

no need to be stressed out bro, dat sig won't be that bad tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my nigg' dabom in panic mode... he knows that TP starting is coming

no need to be stressed out bro, dat sig won't be that bad tbh...

But seriously, I am hoping your Boy the Phoenix comes back soon and playing at the level he did last season... I am tempering expectations, it's a huge deal the injury he suffered. He probably will be brought along very carefully.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Would rather see Parker for an extended stretch (which is happening anyway) when he returns before determining this. He's had a lot of nagging injuries in recent seasons. This extended absence has allowed him to rest, recover and train like never before. There's probably something like a 1% chance that he returns better than the previous 3 seasons, but they need to know unequivocally. As long a shot as it is, it's their hope of having someone who can run an offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one knows what Parker we'll get but based on his speedy recovery and confidence in interviews I have a good feeling that we'll get a starting caliber point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty shallow analysis here. Sure the TO generated from the PG position itself are about the same but there is much more that the PG does than protect the ball directly.

First Patty does not penetrate and kick to the level that Parker does. He is not as proficient in his timing or ball handling. too often you see him slow to initiate the play or dribble it off his leg or the like initiating the play. What results is a pass back to the top and a broken play. You end up with some basic iso or pnr where the weakside defense can easily play off and deflect passes because there is no weakside play beyond spacing. Rotations solve that defensive dilemma.

Patty also does not have mastery of the plays in the offense. Patty is at his best on the two man pnr game where he finds his own shot. Danny has gotten better but without Parker and Kawhi the starters are a bunch of cogs and very few starters.

DM struggles mightily in both of the above regards and cannot shoot. His m2m defense is better but his grasp of the offense and defense still has a ways to go.

It is interesting that you bash Pau in particular given that he turns it over at the same rate as the PG and has a better assist ratio. They are running the offense through him a lot because of the lack of playmakers when Manu is not on the court. This is a new role for him this season whereas last season he was just getting his feet wet. He is assisting at a much better rate than Boris did in the role. As it develops, we could easily see Gasol take advantage of players playing off similar to what Diaw was able to do. Pau can still finish with both hands.

REally though you are missing the point of what is going on. The PG flub the play on the pnr and pass it back to the high post you then criticize the high post for trying to make something happen when things went wrong when the PG scuttled the play. Youre like a chess player that can only see one move ahead.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty shallow analysis here. Sure the TO generated from the PG position itself are about the same but there is much more that the PG does than protect the ball directly.

First Patty does not penetrate and kick to the level that Parker does. He is not as proficient in his timing or ball handling. too often you see him slow to initiate the play or dribble it off his leg or the like initiating the play. What results is a pass back to the top and a broken play. You end up with some basic iso or pnr where the weakside defense can easily play off and deflect passes because there is no weakside play beyond spacing. Rotations solve that defensive dilemma.

Patty also does not have mastery of the plays in the offense. Patty is at his best on the two man pnr game where he finds his own shot. Danny has gotten better but without Parker and Kawhi the starters are a bunch of cogs and very few starters.

DM struggles mightily in both of the above regards and cannot shoot. His m2m defense is better but his grasp of the offense and defense still has a ways to go.

It is interesting that you bash Pau in particular given that he turns it over at the same rate as the PG and has a better assist ratio. They are running the offense through him a lot because of the lack of playmakers when Manu is not on the court. This is a new role for him this season whereas last season he was just getting his feet wet. He is assisting at a much better rate than Boris did in the role. As it develops, we could easily see Gasol take advantage of players playing off similar to what Diaw was able to do. Pau can still finish with both hands.

REally though you are missing the point of what is going on. The PG flub the play on the pnr and pass it back to the high post you then criticize the high post for trying to make something happen when things went wrong when the PG scuttled the play. Youre like a chess player that can only see one move ahead.
    All of that porker fluffling and he is still a ing CANCER.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Our PG don't have an edge but the 3 and 4 certainly do as well as the bench. What we need are competence from the other 3 spots given how much those two are used.

DM is incompetent on offense. He struggles to run sets which breaks plays and he cannot shoot. That becomes an issue as teams play off of him and muck up passing lanes and double team postups and drives which results in turnovers and bad shots.

Further DM is better at m2m defense but his rotations and team defense is still very much a work in progress. I like him a lot but he needs to continue to develop as anointing him now helps no one but the other team.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PGs on the Spurs MVP>DM>Broken down Enrique Porker.

Facts.

Thread Information