Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the ascension of the future core of Murray (give him the contract already RC/Wright), White, Walker and the salary gymnastics of keeping all 3 for the long term - does having Derozan on the team make them a better?

I think its its a difficult debate because Derozan’s usage rate impedes the growth and development of the New Big 3. But we can’t for certain say that Walker and White are ready to replace Derozan’s usage rate right now.

My thoughts - you sign Derozan to a multi year contract that is appealing to tradeable teams. You have Derozan on the Spurs for just this one year to allow White & Walker to develop and gel. Then trade him this offseason as White & Walker should be ready to fill that usage rate. Then Spurs can get whatever holes they have remaining to fill with the trade to have a stacked team next season.

Thoughts on the best strategy? The Spurs can go a number of different ways here. I think it all depends on White & Walker’s readiness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best strategy? Let him walk..do not sign him to an extension...use the money to get better players.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does terrorism make the world better or worse? that is the question

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d trade him right now tbh. Get a placeholder forward who can shoot the 3 for a season. Then figure out something more permanent next summer

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d trade him right now tbh. Get a placeholder forward who can shoot the 3 for a season. Then figure out something more permanent next summer
    agree 100%

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Simmons coined the term "Ewing Factor". I think it would be hard to really be better without him. But whatever works. If they were actually better that would be, you know...better. You could afford to send him out for a pick and some cap relief. But experience still counts for a lot. I'd have to see it to believe it. But that doesn't mean I'd be happy about him getting a max extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where’s the poll so I can vote for “worse?”
    The dude can’t shoot 3s and can’t defend. Everything else is irrelevant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have to ignore advanced stats completely to justify DeRozan. His on court/off court numbers have been in the negative 9 out of his 10 regular seasons, and in the negative in all 6 of his playoff appearances. His negative playoff numbers in last year's playoff were atrocious, easily the worst on the team, and that was in a really close 7 game series that was tied with a minute to go in game 7. It's pretty clearly established that he's a career-long team net negative player. I've seen statistical glitches and anomalies before, but 16 negative results out of 17 situations over the course of a decade is clear evidence that he's nowhere near a max player, and probably shouldn't even be a starter.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...derozde01.html
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 10-16-2019 at 11:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have to ignore advanced stats completely to justify DeRozan. His on court/off court numbers have been in the negative 9 out of his 10 regular seasons, and in the negative in all 6 of his playoff appearances. His negative playoff numbers in last year's playoff were atrocious, easily the worst on the team, and that was in a really close 7 game series that was tied with a minute to go in game 7. It's pretty clearly established that he's a career-long net negative player. I've seen statistical glitches and anomalies before, but 16 negative results out of 17 situations over the course of a decade is clear evidence that he's nowhere near a max player, and probably shouldn't even be a starter.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...derozde01.html

Can't disagree about him not being a max player. The question is whether this roster is better off without him. He's a positive VORP player - second highest on the team.

Look at it this way. What if he was playing on a min contract? Would you still be saying that the team is better off without him? (Nope, you wouldn't.) It's one thing to say he's got a bad contract - he does. But saying the team is better off without him is a pretty bold statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't disagree about him not being a max player. The question is whether this roster is better off without him. He's a positive VORP player - second highest on the team.

Look at it this way. What if he was playing on a min contract? Would you still be saying that the team is better off without him? (Nope, you wouldn't.) It's one thing to say he's got a bad contract - he does. But saying the team is better off without him is a pretty bold statement.
    He wouldn't be sent away for nothing. Any trade would involve other players that add up to about 28 mil. Two solid low key 10-15mil guys who play a little defense and shoot threes would represent a huge improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Without getting too deep in this, I think Demar’s lack of shooting clogs things up for everyone else, his ball dominance and poor defense are also ill suited to the development of the young players next to him. Never mind bringing up his depression and choking repeatedly in the playoffs. Strictly basketball, I think a forward who could shoot and help out this season without being ball dominant would be better. Iggy (though I don’t love him in his old age) would be better. He’s not a choker, shows up when it counts can punish you from 3 and may still have something defensively that DeMar never had. I don’t know how the Spurs could make a trade for him but I think him for a season while they figure out someone younger more permanent for that spot would be better. There could be better candidates out there too. I am not even up with info about players likely to be traded this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't be sent away for nothing. Any trade would involve other players that add up to about 28 mil. Two solid low key 10-15mil guys who play a little defense and shoot threes would represent a huge improvement.
    So true. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever know. I expect Dumbmar to be a Spur as long as Pop is the coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can they consistently get us 20pts on those 3s? CONSISTENTLY....not like marco n patty who disappear wvery other game. We have not seen him play his regular role yet just spot minutes. I don't think Pop is showing all his cards in preseason to avoid scouting and still seeing what he has. Lets see his usage next game or even wait till game 1 to make conclusions...we already see where all yalls cliff jumping lead...killed rockets without our 2nd best player plus rudy. His absence of a 3 is made up with his ability to get to line where he has taken 14 already in 40min. That weakens other team with foul trouble n penalty shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worse, easily. His 20/6/6 numbers are empty calories. He can’t defend. He can’t shoot the 3 so he’s horrible at spacing the floor. He’s only good enough if you want to be a regular season team that gets knocked out of the 1st round. The team needs to move on from him, but unfortunately I just see them extending him because culture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get the "how do we make up his scoring" angle. If a trade lands a guy who averages 12 ppg, that means White, Murray, Walker, Poeltl, etc combined have to add 9 ppg to cover DeRozan's 21 ppg output. That seems beyond reasonable to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So true. Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever know. I expect Dumbmar to be a Spur as long as Pop is the coach.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if the team is "better without him" then you should be able to leave him on the bench and improve. Big difference between that and trading him for value.

I know the game the OP is playing. After three losses, tonight they left him on the bench and won. But, no, that doesn't mean the team is better off without him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if the team is "better without him" then you should be able to leave him on the bench and improve. Big difference between that and trading him for value.

I know the game the OP is playing. After three losses, tonight they left him on the bench and won. But, no, that doesn't mean the team is better off without him.
    So what's your explanation for his teams playing better with him off the floor in 9 out of 10 seasons and 6 out of 6 playoffs?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league has passed him by. He'd be worth having on the roster if he were willing to take a sixth man role, and take up salary cap space reflective of such a role.

A competent front office would trade him for a team looking for salary space or let him walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While part of me would like to see DDR go and not get resigned, the other part of me understands that DeRozan can also get you at least 20 points a night, perhaps something that LW4 can't give this team quite yet. Perhaps as he continues to start and play with more consistently, he will gain his confidence, scoring wise, and his scoring numbers would go up eventually, if DDR were moved this season. But unfortunately, PATFO wouldn't do it, but if they did, they would probably want someone close to DeRozan's talent, like an Iggy(?), but would it be worth the the one year rental knowing that he's too old... oh, wait! ...He would be good off the bench and at game closing time, but I'd be surprised if DDR were traded, but I guess we will see how this will play out.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he aint even fit to our, theres no place for him, need to be traded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before, he could be an extremely effective 6th man if he were willing to sacrifice money & minutes (entirely possible given the relationships he has with the young guys as well as Gay). He would have to accept that the young guys are the future & be willing to take a backseat after this season as well as a paycut (or take a shorter deal). He seems to prioritise happiness & has earned a load of money, so I think it's entirely possible.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it before, he could be an extremely effective 6th man if he were willing to sacrifice money & minutes (entirely possible given the relationships he has with the young guys as well as Gay). He would have to accept that the young guys are the future & be willing to take a backseat after this season as well as a paycut (or take a shorter deal). He seems to prioritise happiness & has earned a load of money, so I think it's entirely possible.
    I don’t think he would. But a 6th man role like Lou Williams would be interesting to test out. He could handle the ball, take all the shots he wants with the 2nd unit. They could play patty at SG with the 2nd unit which seems to be the better fit for him. If he is hot you could role with him in the 4th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should've been a poll with a 100% voting worse. Let him walk and sign Jaylen Brown. The Raptors have plenty of cap space next offseason and will offer DeRozan the max

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he would. But a 6th man role like Lou Williams would be interesting to test out. He could handle the ball, take all the shots he wants with the 2nd unit. They could play patty at SG with the 2nd unit which seems to be the better fit for him. If he is hot you could role with him in the 4th.
    So hard to know what goes through some of these players heads as they have enormous egos being the best on the planet at what they do. DD is at that point in the road where, from the outside looking in, he can't be a 1st or possibly even 2nd option on a contender given how many times he's made the playoffs. Convincing him of that, but at the same time explaining that he could still be extremely valuable in the right role, would be an interesting conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information