Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's not what we were talking about. Feel free to back track a few posts.
    I already said where the crazy seems to be concentrated. Households with guns.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    It's a balancing act between liberty and piblic order.

Expecting all gun laws to be enforced without fail isn't a realistic expectation, nor is it even desirable, IMO.

Governments shouldn't have that much power.
    I’d be happy if they would work harder on getting guns out of the hands of known felons possessing guns illegally. IIRC California has like 100,000 known felons in possession of guns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California requires a written gun test to acquire a gun, which I think is an affront to the second amendment. And it doesn't stop these liberal ins ution outcast psychos from killing.
    That test is stupid easy and most of the places that sell you your first gun will even give you the answers, no bull . I was offered the answers the first pistol I bought here, my wife was too (at a different dealer).

Even you couldn't it up, derp. With or without help. I seriously believe that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooter isn't old enough to buy a beer or rent a car, but is old enough to buy a semi-automatic rifle.

How much sense does that make?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be happy if they would work harder on getting guns out of the hands of known felons possessing guns illegally. IIRC California has like 100,000 known felons in possession of guns.
    Glad to hear you believe in common-sense regulation of firearms.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already said where the crazy seems to be concentrated. Households with guns.
    Stats? Links?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That test is stupid easy and most of the places that sell you your first gun will even give you the answers, no bull . I was offered the answers the first pistol I bought here, my wife was too (at a different dealer).

Even you couldn't it up, derp. With or without help. I seriously believe that.
    It's a deterrent regardless of what you think about it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooter isn't old enough to buy a beer or rent a car, but is old enough to buy a semi-automatic rifle.

How much sense does that make?
    That's a pandora's box of rhetoric to a lot of things that don't make sense in this country.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The correlation between "Crazy" and gun ownership tho? I might be overlooking it, but where's the stat to support your argument? It's just a market research report on ownership trends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a pandora's box of rhetoric to a lot of things that don't make sense in this country.
    Which is the greater threat to public order, a nineteen year old with a rental car, or a nineteen year old with a semi-automatic rifle?

Why does the potential liability govern one situation and not the other?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd Amendment goes part way to explain, but not all the way: access to firearms has always been regulated.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The correlation between "Crazy" and gun ownership tho? I might be overlooking it, but where's the stat to support your argument? It's just a market research report on ownership trends.
    The number of mass shootings by crazy people from de facto households with guns is increasing while the percentage of households with guns has been trending downwards the last 40 years.

The overall firearm homicide rate has gone down while the percentage of households with guns has also gone down.

May just be correlation and not causation, but the mass shooting crazy is in a smaller number of households -- the ones with guns.

Because there are guns in those households.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is the greater threat to public order, a nineteen year old with a rental car, or a nineteen year old with a semi-automatic rifle?

Not going to wager, but I think it's fair to say drunk driving teens are statistically more able to kill someone than a teen with a gun.

But, fwiw, that wasn't what I meant with my response. I meant that "why can't they do this but they can do this" line of reasoning in these times we live in is opening a can of worms as far as discussion goes with some people here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to wager, but I think it's fair to say drunk driving teens are statistically more able to kill someone than a teen with a gun.

But, fwiw, that wasn't what I meant with my response. I meant that "why can't they do this but they can do this" line of reasoning in these times we live in is opening a can of worms as far as discussion goes with some people here.
    Eh, fair enough.

I'm just spitballing. Conversations have to start somewhere, though I certainly agree they often go nowhere.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Considering how few homicides are committed with rifles overall, and then just looking at homicides with rifles by 19 year olds, and then considering 16-19 year olds are the most dangerous group of drivers, the 19 year old with a rental car may actually pose more of a threat to the public

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect you could be right about the actuarial truth of the matter regarding mortality, Chucho but that isn't what I referenced. I believe I asked which was the greater threat to public order.

How common are vehicular homicides committed by teenagers versus intentional shootings? Regardless of the ratio, it might be reasonable to restrict the access of teens to guns for reasons of public safety.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 07-29-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The number of mass shootings by crazy people from de facto households with guns is increasing while the percentage of households with guns has been trending downwards the last 40 years.

The overall firearm homicide rate has gone down while the percentage of households with guns has also gone down.

May just be correlation and not causation, but the mass shooting crazy is in a smaller number of households -- the ones with guns.

Easy access is just one of the reasons, but you can't track or measure how many more people are prevented from shooting up a place just by not having access, that doesn't really denote where the "craziness" comes from and your your link doesn't state any of this to support your speculation.

What about street homicides. Those dudes aren't legal firearm owners, they're usually thugs because they are products of their culture. There's something inherently wrong in our society and it goes way further than whichever households own guns.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I expect you could be right about the actuarial truth of the matter regarding mortality, but that isn't what I referenced. I believe I asked which was the greater threat to public order, not mortality.
    If we are including non-fatal accidents as well the 19 year old with a rental hands down.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Easy access is just one of the reasons, but you can't track or measure how many more people are prevented from shooting up a place just by not having access, that doesn't really denote where the "craziness" comes from and your your link doesn't state any of this to support your speculation.
    Not what you asked and not what I claimed.

I said the gun craziness is in the households with guns. And there are dramatically fewer of those households than the 70s.

What about street homicides. Those dudes aren't legal firearm owners, they're usually thugs because they are products of their culture. There's something inherently wrong in our society and it goes way further than whichever households own guns.
    Those crimes are trending down the past 20 years, so what went right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we are including non-fatal accidents as well the 19 year old with a rental hands down.
    It might be reasonable to restrict the access of teenagers to guns regardless of which is the bigger threat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not what you asked and not what I claimed.

I said the gun craziness is in the households with guns. And there are dramatically fewer of those households than the 70s.
    And you linked to something that doesnt substantiate that claim. It's just speculation on your part.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And you linked to something that doesnt substantiate that claim. It's just speculation on your part.
    How is gun craziness not in households with guns?

Legan was gun crazy. Legan lived in a household with guns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is gun craziness not in households with guns?

Legan was gun crazy. Legan lived in a household with guns.
    LOL, now it's "gun craziness". Its so simple and I never knew it!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOL, now it's "gun craziness". Its so simple and I never knew it!
    What do you want to call it? Didn't you use crazed or insane at some point?

I'll use whatever term you want. It won't change where those people are. Households with guns.

Thread Information