Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea trying to create cap space for a run at Dwight and/or CP3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Neal and #28 for #17?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would trade next year pick to them for this one and cash

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but for who at 13?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would trade next year pick to them for this one and cash
    Agreed. I'd love to try and get Steven Adams from Pitt. He's probably going to go in that 10-13 range. He'd be a future piece though, not an immediate contributor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Target Steven Adams or Shabazz Muhammed who is supposedly slipping down draft boards. I'd even take Mason Plumlee.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13th pick sounds awesome.

Until you consider that part of the reason that Dallas is keen on moving their first lottery pick in over a decade is because this is a draft with little to no immediate help available outside of 6 or 7 guys (who are pretty big risks themselves).

The guys who make most sense for Spurs are complete role players or draft-in-stash guys that will typically last into the 20s anyways (if not all the way to 28).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the spurs can get that high of a pick. i love gobert!

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Target Steven Adams or Shabazz Muhammed who is supposedly slipping down draft boards. I'd even take Mason Plumlee.
    I don't know if Shabazz Muhammad fits a Spurs kind of guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we can get that pick. We don't have enough to offer them. Too many guys are coming off the books or are unrestricted free agents.

They're going to want a high quality role player or a halfway decent starter (either one having to be young/low salary) for that pick. It's too valuble. After all, we had to trade George Hill to get the 15th pick.

High draft picks in the NBA are super valuble, especially when you're trading down all the way to 28 in exchange for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta get the best SG available IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I'd love to try and get Steven Adams from Pitt. He's probably going to go in that 10-13 range. He'd be a future piece though, not an immediate contributor.
    Exactly why we don't want this because we need help NOW. If it limits our ability to get an impact free agent forget it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Neal and #28 for #17?
    If they're dumping salary to clear cap space, they aren't going to want players or this year's first round picks back.

If I were the Mavs, I'd be looking for one or more of these back:
    * a likely lottery team willing to trade next year's pick (i.e not the Spurs)
    * high second round picks this year, who don't count against the cap (we don't have one AFAIK)
    * the rights to foreign players that they really like (hard to say if they want what we have)
    * multiple future first round picks from good teams who draft late (trading 2 for 1 isn't worth it unless there's someone truly incredible)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we can get that pick. We don't have enough to offer them. Too many guys are coming off the books or are unrestricted free agents.

They're going to want a high quality role player or a halfway decent starter (either one having to be young/low salary) for that pick. It's too valuble. After all, we had to trade George Hill to get the 15th pick.

High draft picks in the NBA are super valuble, especially when you're trading down all the way to 28 in exchange for it.
    Dallas is trying to give away to the pick in exchange for salary relief. They don't want a quality player unless the team is willing to take back Shawn Marion's deal. What's more likely is that Dallas will try to package it with Carter and some other small contracts in exchange for a second-rounder or future pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta get the best SG available IMO.
    Shabazz Muhammad.. but I don't think the Spurs would take him. He's had some character questions over the past couple years. He'd be a great replacement for Manu though. He's basically a poor man's James Harden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas is trying to give away to the pick in exchange for salary relief. They don't want a quality player unless the team is willing to take back Shawn Marion's deal. What's more likely is that Dallas will try to package it with Carter and some other small contracts in exchange for a second-rounder or future pick.
    So they're packaging their pick with a moderate to high salary player to salary dump? Okay, then I guess that makes more sense as long as it's just them trading Marion and the pick for an expiring deal and a not too ty pick. That's basically "here we'll sell you our pick for 10m, and let's swap dudes neither of us really want anymore". Makes sense.

I dunno about that Carter + pick and a small contract in exchange for a second rounder or future pick thing. Carter only gets 3m a year. So that deal is basically, "here take my 13th pick, Carter at only 3.1 million, and whatever for your 2nd rounder and maybe a scrub". That makes no sense. They'd just be giving away a lot for next to no cap relief. They don't need to trade their pick to unload Carter's small salary. 3m for Carter is very reasonable. Many teams would trade a 2nd rounder for Carter straight up if that's all Dallas wanted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they're packaging their pick with a moderate to high salary player to salary dump? Okay, then I guess that makes more sense as long as it's just them trading Marion and the pick for an expiring deal and a not too ty pick. That's basically "here we'll sell you our pick for 10m, and let's swap dudes neither of us really want anymore". Makes sense.

I dunno about that Carter + pick and a small contract in exchange for a second rounder or future pick thing. Carter only gets 3m a year. So that deal is basically, "here take my 13th pick, Carter at only 3.1 million, and whatever for your 2nd rounder and maybe a scrub". That makes no sense. They'd just be giving away a lot for next to no cap relief. They don't need to trade their pick to unload Carter's small salary. 3m for Carter is very reasonable. Many teams would trade a 2nd rounder for Carter straight up if that's all Dallas wanted.
    There are two reasons why the Carter deal is the most likely:

-Dallas only needs about $3 or 4 Million to get enough space to offer a max contract. So that savings is enough to get Paul or Howard, and they can then use Marion's deal to bring in another player.

-As weird as it sounds, late-lottery picks aren't really valuable nowadays. If they were, then Dallas would keep theirs. A lot of teams would bristle at the idea of eating $8 Million for the pick, especially before they see who falls.

Of course, someone could pull a Golden State and bite on taking Marion. But it's far from certain. What's less likely is that a team will give up an actual productive player for it before the draft, as even role-players like Gary Neal are worth a late-lottery pick to some teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are two reasons why the Carter deal is the most likely:

-Dallas only needs about $3 or 4 Million to get enough space to offer a max contract. So that savings is enough to get Paul or Howard, and they can then use Marion's deal to bring in another player.

-As weird as it sounds, late-lottery picks aren't really valuable nowadays. If they were, then Dallas would keep theirs. A lot of teams would bristle at the idea of eating $8 Million for the pick, especially before they see who falls.

Of course, someone could pull a Golden State and bite on taking Marion. But it's far from certain. What's less likely is that a team will give up an actual productive player for it before the draft, as even role-players like Gary Neal are worth a late-lottery pick to some teams.
    I don't know about that Neal thing. I really don't see that happening. We had to cough up George Hill for a 15th and he was and is a lot better than Gary Neal has ever been. Those lottery picks are guaranteed cheap salary guys for years. . .few teams will throw that away. They're more valuble dollar for dollar than most players in the NBA.

Those picks are always valuble because of the money dude. And I'm still certain they can trade Carter's small salary for a 2nd rounder easily. He's a big name (even though old), still decent, and has a very reasonable salary. Throwing in the 13th pick seems totally unneccessary when they can draft a cheap, valuble role player who can possibly bloom into a reliable starter in that area of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about that Neal thing. I really don't see that happening. We had to cough up George Hill for a 15th and he was and is a lot better than Gary Neal has ever been. Those lottery picks are guaranteed cheap salary guys for years. . .few teams will throw that away. They're more valuble dollar for dollar than most players in the NBA.

Those picks are always valuble because of the money dude. And I'm still certain they can trade Carter's small salary for a 2nd rounder easily. He's a big name (even though old), still decent, and has a very reasonable salary. Throwing in the 13th pick seems totally unneccessary when they can draft a cheap, valuble role player who can possibly bloom into a reliable starter in that area of the draft.
    They don't want the pick because they don't want to spend the money for the player. It may seem cheap to you, but the 13th-overall selection is slated to get about $2 Million when you factor in the 120-percent amount rookies usually get. So add that to Carter and another player (Cunningham) and the Mavericks actually save closer to $6.2 Million.

In general, late-lottery players are not very good. Sure, the Spurs got Leonard, but think about the other players drafted near him that year. Besides Faried, there wasn't much. It's even worse when you look at other seasons. Really, it's not any more valuable than a later pick unless a player falls unexpectedly (like Leonard did).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't want the pick because they don't want to spend the money for the player. It may seem cheap to you, but the 13th-overall selection is slated to get about $2 Million when you factor in the 120-percent amount rookies usually get. So add that to Carter and another player (Cunningham) and the Mavericks actually save closer to $6.2 Million.

In general, late-lottery players are not very good. Sure, the Spurs got Leonard, but think about the other players drafted near him that year. Besides Faried, there wasn't much. It's even worse when you look at other seasons. Really, it's not any more valuable than a later pick unless a player falls unexpectedly (like Leonard did).
    I don't see many teams in the NBA passing up the chance to get Carter and the 13th pick for basically nothing tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see many teams in the NBA passing up the chance to get Carter and the 13th pick for basically nothing tbh
    Most teams don't have the cap space to take back Carter and Cunningham for nothing, and the ones that do would rather keep the space for the same reason Dallas wants to create it. Detroit should get on it, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most teams don't have the cap space to take back Carter and Cunningham for nothing, and the ones that do would rather keep the space for the same reason Dallas wants to create it. Detroit should get on it, though.
    13th pick and a name to draw fans for nothing is worth going a little over the cap. Most teams are nowhere near the tax. There's not even a handful of teams who are shedding tidbits of salary to try and add huge names either. I don't see much reason why anyone else wouldn't want a free 13th pick and Carter at 3m at the cost of just a throw away 2nd rounder. They'd just be adding quality, a ticket seller, and ensuring their future salary will be low and have a young, cheap talent on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree. 13th pick costs too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13th pick and a name to draw fans for nothing is worth going a little over the cap. Most teams are nowhere near the tax. There's not even a handful of teams who are shedding tidbits of salary to try and add huge names either. I don't see much reason why anyone else wouldn't want a free 13th pick and Carter at 3m at the cost of just a throw away 2nd rounder. They'd just be adding quality, a ticket seller, and ensuring their future salary will be low and have a young, cheap talent on it.
    That doesn't matter. A team can't take back salary unless they're under the cap or have a trade exception. Most teams that have cap space have it because they've worked hard to shed salary. They aren't just going to give it up for Carter and a likely bust (and Cunningham, whom you seem to keep forgetting).

You seem to underestimate the value of cap space in big free-agent summers. The Knicks gave Houston Jordan Hill (a rookie 10th-overall selection) a pick and the right to switch picks so that Houston would take Jared Jeffries' $6 Million off their hands. If Dallas can clear the same amount of cap space for just the 13th pick, you better believe they're going to do it.

Thread Information