Page 1564 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 564106414641514155415601561156215631564156515661567156815741614 ... LastLast
Results 39,076 to 39,100 of 40782
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID will very likely continue to mutate and cause problems until we create vaccines that inhibit transmission (which probably means nasal/mucosal membrane vaccines) and vaccines that confer better overall immunity across all COVID-19 variants.2

There are plenty of groups working on this, including Akiko Iwasaki’s lab at Yale, David Veesler’s at University of Washington, and Pamela Bjorkman’s at Caltech. Nature surveyed some more efforts a few months ago.

The basic strategy for pan-variant protection is pretty clear: most involve some kind of “nanoparticle” that embeds parts of different e proteins that will cause the immune system to prefer the parts that remain unchanged across different coronavirus variants. (“Highly conserved epitopes.”) Current vaccines use the full e protein, which means that the immune system indexes on fairly random parts of the e, including parts that might change quickly.

We already have quite good evidence that such approaches can work based on initial mouse and non-human primate data, where robustly protective responses have been generated against a broad variety of sarbecoviruses. (The virus that causes COVID is part of this family.) Furthermore, the underlying nanoparticle platform used in one group’s work, David Veesler’s nanoparticle-based vaccine, has been validated in humans, and just finished a successful Phase 3 trial in South Korea. (The nanoparticle in this trial used a part of the e protein from the original COVID strain, and isn’t itself a pan-variant vaccine.) But simply embedding slightly different proteins on its surface stands an excellent chance of conferring much broader protection.

We (Fast Grants) are in touch with a number of these groups. Despite excellent technology and promising early results in animal models, we estimate that the very earliest we will have access to these vaccines in humans is 2024. These groups need to run primate trials, then run human clinical trials, and then ramp manufacturing and distribution. Beyond having to jump through a lot of hoops, we’ve observed that they’re frequently tripped up by stupid things outside of their control, any one of which may hold their work back by months. (One group’s monkeys have been delayed by US Customs, which will push the start of their primate trial back ‘till September. Another is struggling to obtain necessary adjuvants. Multiple groups are unable to get access to current mRNA vaccines for research purposes because of legal barriers.) All groups we’ve interacted with are underfunded compared to what would be ideal.

Broadly speaking, the holdups involve some combination of logistical challenges and regulatory requirements, and the intersection between both. (You don’t in principle have to run a primate trial, but the FDA makes it harder to run a human trial if you don’t. You don’t in principle need to use “acute infection” as a trial endpoint; you could also use neutralizing antibody ers, which would be much faster and simpler.)
    To speed things up:

• We should lower the barrier for human clinical trials and use simpler endpoints. For many vaccine candidates, we could run human trials concurrent with primate trials (once basic safety data has been obtained). In humans, we don’t need to repeat Phase I trials for platforms that have already been validated and derisked. (In this vein, the FDA’s recent announcement about not requiring trials for updated platforms was encouraging.)
    • We should help these groups to scale manufacturing faster. Operation Warp Speed itself cost $10 billion; a second incarnation, with a tenth of that budget, could almost certainly accomplish a great deal.​

Overall, we the federal government should empower someone to intervene (as it did with Operation Warp Speed). Private actors can’t change FDA policy. In our view it is probably true that, with competent execution, we could roll out pan-variant COVID vaccines before the end of 2022. Actually making that happen would require significant and coordinated logistical, regulatory, and administrative action. However, it would by no means be impossible. Not having pan-variant vaccines in 2022 is best thought of as a choice.
    https://www.slowboring.com/p/we-coul...covid-vaccines

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To save lives and alleviate the burden of sickness and disability for individuals and businesses?

It's a no brainer, that's exactly what your ikon Trump did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What were the CARES Act, the PPP and Operation Warp Speed?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To save lives and alleviate the burden of sickness and disability for individuals and businesses?

It's a no brainer, that's exactly what your ikon Trump did.
    There's never going to be a sterilizing covid vaccine, it's not possible. You're going to have to get your sniffles, repeatedly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's never going to be a sterilizing covid vaccine, it's not possible. You're going to have to get your sniffles, repeatedly.
    So long as the jab keeps me out of the hospital and the graveyard, I'm cool with that. I'm in no rush to get it, though, and will continue to take reasonable precautions to avoid getting sick. If you wash your hands or sterilize food prep surfaces at home, I'm sure you can relate.

Is there some reason in your mind that we shouldn't take COVID at least as seriously as we do the flu, from a public health standpoint?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What were the CARES Act, the PPP and Operation Warp Speed?
    Btw, the dreaded circuit breaker lockdown of 2020 was instigated by states and cities under federal advisement. The Trump Administration advised the states to do it, passing along the pandemic response wisdom developed under GWB.

Lockdowns were pioneered by Republicans in the US.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Living with COVID, tbh

A group of dad's discovered air purifiers move air...genius.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A group of dad's discovered air purifiers move air...genius.
    more schools should try it, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more schools should try it, tbh
    They'll need another couple hundred billion dollars first

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sounds great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where'd you get that number? PFA?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So long as the jab keeps me out of the hospital and the graveyard, I'm cool with that. I'm in no rush to get it, though, and will continue to take reasonable precautions to avoid getting sick. If you wash your hands or sterilize food prep surfaces at home, I'm sure you can relate.

Is there some reason in your mind that we shouldn't take COVID at least as seriously as we do the flu, from a public health standpoint?
    We got our Flu Shot every fall and forgot that it existed, tbh.

Same should be done with covid, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got our Flu Shot every fall and forgot that it existed, tbh.

Same should be done with covid, imo.
    good luck with that. reality is that which, when you wish it gone, remains.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Acting like flu is nbd is more or less brain dead. We have a multi-billion dollar public health apparatus to deal with it every single year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Acting like flu is nbd is more or less brain dead. We have a multi-billion dollar public health apparatus to deal with it every single year.
    how about physical fitness?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You take risk every time you get in your car and drive to destination __X__.

People dying from the flu are elderly and/or immunocompromised. You probably have a better chance of drowning in your own bathtub than dying from the flu.

Omicron's death rate seems to be comparable to the flu as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You take risk every time you get in your car and drive to destination __X__.

People dying from the flu are elderly and/or immunocompromised. You probably have a better chance of drowning in your own bathtub than dying from the flu.

Omicron's death rate seems to be comparable to the flu as well.
    Sure, life isn't risk free, thanks for the news flash.

While Omicron's ifr might be similar to flu, the contagiousness isn't remotely comparable. Rampant infection has led to ~200,000 deaths from Omicron since December.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago raised practically the whole damn city on jackscrews to install a sewer system -- because of repeated cholera and typhoid epidemics -- but go ahead, explain how engineers can't retrofit buildings for cleaner air in 2022.

(It actually wasn't quite that simple, the sewer system created problems of its own that tunnels were built to alleviate, but sluicing sewage into the Mississippi created problems downstream, as well as liability problems for Chicago, that weren't solved until about 50 years later, when water treatment plants were built. The point is, there was an engineering solution, and though the path was arduous and the expense was vast, it was worth it. The result was a healthier, thriving populace and one of the first great, modern US cities.)

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So here's my COVID saga over the last several days:

- Tested positive on Monday (likely due to a lot of traveling/partying the prior week) after getting a cough.
    - Went to an urgent care center Monday afternoon and basically bullied the physician's assistant into writing me a prescription for Paxlovid despite my age.
    - At this point my symptoms were still light. No body aches or fever or loss of smell, just a light cough.
    - By Monday evening (when I took my first Paxlovid dose) I was starting to feel the symptoms. Body aches, congestion, etc.
    - When I woke up on Tuesday I could barely get out of bed. Horrible body aches, chills, fever, and most worrisome my oxygen levels had dropped from 99 to 93.
    - By Tuesday afternoon I still felt like but my fever broke and the body aches were subsiding.
    - Wednesday morning I woke up with no symptoms beyond a soar throat, and my oxygen levels were back up to 99.
    - This morning I woke up with no symptoms at all.

My takeaway is that (i) if the last vaccine/booster you got was >6 months ago, you're still somewhat vulnerable to COVID symptoms and (ii) it'll be a big lift once Paxlovid gets full FDA approval so anyone who gets COVID can be treated by it.
    Tested negative yesterday, just 1 week after I first felt symptoms and tested positive.

IMO antivirals that are widely circulated and easily available will be what gets us fully out of the pandemic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tested negative yesterday, just 1 week after I first felt symptoms and tested positive.

IMO antivirals that are widely circulated and easily available will be what gets us fully out of the pandemic.
    But what about long term effects or the possibility of dying from a brain tumor? There's still that. You're not out of the woods on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But what about long term effects or the possibility of dying from a brain tumor? There's still that. You're not out of the woods on this.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    True. I stayed up all night sitting in the corner with nothing but a flashlight and a handgun worrying about long COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. I stayed up all night sitting in the corner with nothing but a flashlight and a handgun worrying about long COVID.
    9mm?

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Boiled down:::
    1,048,000 Americans dead in the ground.
    & counting...

as
    "I will shut it down." Biden
    squats in the White House.

~~~~~~~~~