Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

Would agree with the le of the video. It's not only he dribbled much better than Ronaldinho, Fenomeno and Zidane, in several plays even camera guys have no clue what's he going to do next.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    They also had no clue what he was going to snort next

dude has an unmatched swagger despite being diminutive in stature..you just feel that's the "it" missing from Messi..

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    system player, product of xavi and iniesta

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

Thankfully the youtube videos available for those who want us to suc b to a recency bias .

What a in touch and ball control prowess by DieGoat ...Not to mention the things we don't see but he radiates on the pitch.not way this SOB would go 0-3 in Finals in consecutive years for his NT as cap.-- goalless, on top of it...he would have made something happen: suckered ref into penalty or an opponent red card, a handball goal ..anything to carry his troops...
    Last edited by spursistan; 07-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Man so much ALPHAness in those videos

Believe.
    My Team
    FIFA_Mexico
    Post Count
    Nothing we haven't seen before, there's plenty of messi highlights like those

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Does he lift WC or CA trophies in those highlights?

Believe.
    My Team
    FIFA_Mexico
    Post Count
    Does he lift WC or CA trophies in those highlights?
    he did lift the best player award in worldcup

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Messi has great precision and is lighting quick, there is comparable to Maradona. He also really excels at the tiki-taka triangles, which brings Barça most of his goals and assists. However, in technical skill, vision and creativity, he's not a match for Maradona. Maradona was also more of a warrior, a cliché but it's true.

Messi's still one of the best players to ever play the game, just not quite the best.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Lol, this thread

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    This is for you Nono, remember we talked about physical games back then and now?...

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Messi has great precision and is lighting quick, there is comparable to Maradona. He also really excels at the tiki-taka triangles, which brings Barça most of his goals and assists. However, in technical skill, vision and creativity, he's not a match for Maradona. Maradona was also more of a warrior, a cliché but it's true.

Messi's still one of the best players to ever play the game, just not quite the best.
    Look at this guy trying to talk like he knows .

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    This is for you Nono, remember we talked about physical games back then and now?...

I didn't say they don't hit him. But that video perfectly exemplifies what I was saying: a foul is called in every instance, and in most of them, they get a yellow or red card.

That's what changed, they protect these guys a lot more now (which is actually a good thing). We were talking about Reyna, and that guy solely played to chase and foul Diego all over the pitch.

Half the time they didn't call a foul (especially if playing in Peru) and sometimes they wouldn't even finish the game with a yellow card. You know how players now get up and count 1-2-3-4 to the ref asking how many times they were fouled asking for a card? Back then that didn't fly. A guy like that was tactically placed to foul 10-20 times if needed, and there was no repercussions.

Game has been cleaned up a lot since then. I think it's for the better, you gotta protect that kinda of talent, especially the kind of fouling that could end in injury.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Thankfully the youtube videos available for those who want us to suc b to a recency bias .

What a in touch and ball control prowess by DieGoat ...Not to mention the things we don't see but he radiates on the pitch.not way this SOB would go 0-3 in Finals in consecutive years for his NT as cap.-- goalless, on top of it...he would have made something happen: suckered ref into penalty or an opponent red card, a handball goal ..anything to carry his troops...
    "recent bias"

If anything these youtube videos help build the myth around former great players. You're not going to see youtube videos of the many, many irrelevant performances these guys had. You are just going to see their moments of greatness.

"nostalgia bias" is way more powerful than "recent bias", tbh.

The "Godfather" wasn't widely considered the best movie ever right after its release. That perception grew over time. Same happens with anything: movies, tv, books, music and sports.

We all tend to overrate old stuff and underrate current stuff, when in reality humankind is constantly evolving and things, for the most part, tend to be better than in previous times. Techonolgy, medicine, technics, and athletes have all been improved over their older counterparts.

Regarding Maradona, he failed to do all those things you said in all of the compe ions he played with Argentina except one (and it wasn't like he did much in any of the finals he played either, tbh). He did do, however, a lot of that weakened the chances of the team, like getting red carded in '82 against Brazil of all teams, and cheating his way out of the compe ion in '94.

Messi has like 5 times the amount of trophies Maradona has. And has even more seminal moments in important games. Your perception of Maradona being this ultimate compe or that would do anything for winning comes from that '86 WC, nothing more. That one tournament out of the hundreds he has played over his career makes you think that way. If he was such an uncomparable compe or that was able to single-handedly will teams to championships why does he have such a mediocre trophy count for an all-time great? Could it be that maybe he wasn't such an unparalleled compe or? I'm not saying that he wasn't a great compe or, he most certainly was. To be consider an all-time great you have to be. I'm just saying that other guys were as big as compe ors as him. What he had over any other guy on his era was talent. That talent helped him help his teams win stuff some times. And other times (most of them), it didn't. Whether it was for a lack of help, luck, or the other team just being better, most of the time Maradona wasn't able to accomplish success with his teams. But that's allright, that's normal. No man, no matter how good, wins championships in a team sport by himself, no matter how much sports fans like to pretend otherwise.

P/S: Messi did sucker the ref into red carding a Chilean player in the last final, tbh.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-10-2016 at 02:24 AM.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I didn't say they don't hit him. But that video perfectly exemplifies what I was saying: a foul is called in every instance, and in most of them, they get a yellow or red card.

That's what changed, they protect these guys a lot more now (which is actually a good thing). We were talking about Reyna, and that guy solely played to chase and foul Diego all over the pitch.

Half the time they didn't call a foul (especially if playing in Peru) and sometimes they wouldn't even finish the game with a yellow card. You know how players now get up and count 1-2-3-4 to the ref asking how many times they were fouled asking for a card? Back then that didn't fly. A guy like that was tactically placed to foul 10-20 times if needed, and there was no repercussions.

Game has been cleaned up a lot since then. I think it's for the better, you gotta protect that kinda of talent, especially the kind of fouling that could end in injury.
    I understand what you say but I would like to see a video of dudes beating the out of Deadgo like it happened in that Misty Thirsty 10 Tackles video.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    They also had no clue what he was going to snort next

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

You must be joking, automatic yellows and reds on hard fouling star players were introduced for the Italy '90 WC. Maradona got hit far worse than Messi, after hard fouls he would just stand up and continue running like it's nothing and some of the goals he made were just after being kicked in the head.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    Juventus FC
    Post Count
    OP, that video is Teca o-esque wow

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    "recent bias"

If anything these youtube videos help build the myth around former great players. You're not going to see youtube videos of the many, many irrelevant performances these guys had. You are just going to see their moments of greatness.

"nostalgia bias" is way more powerful than "recent bias", tbh.

The "Godfather" wasn't widely considered the best movie ever right after its release. That perception grew over time. Same happens with anything: movies, tv, books, music and sports.

We all tend to overrate old stuff and underrate current stuff, when in reality humankind is constantly evolving and things, for the most part, tend to be better than in previous times. Techonolgy, medicine, technics, and athletes have all been improved over their older counterparts.

Regarding Maradona, he failed to do all those things you said in all of the compe ions he played with Argentina except one (and it wasn't like he did much in any of the finals he played either, tbh). He did do, however, a lot of that weakened the chances of the team, like getting red carded in '82 against Brazil of all teams, and cheating his way out of the compe ion in '94.

Messi has like 5 times the amount of trophies Maradona has. And has even more seminal moments in important games. Your perception of Maradona being this ultimate compe or that would do anything for winning comes from that '86 WC, nothing more. That one tournament out of the hundreds he has played over his career makes you think that way. If he was such an uncomparable compe or that was able to single-handedly will teams to championships why does he have such a mediocre trophy count for an all-time great? Could it be that maybe he wasn't such an unparalleled compe or? I'm not saying that he wasn't a great compe or, he most certainly was. To be consider an all-time great you have to be. I'm just saying that other guys were as big as compe ors as him. What he had over any other guy on his era was talent. That talent helped him help his teams win stuff some times. And other times (most of them), it didn't. Whether it was for a lack of help, luck, or the other team just being better, most of the time Maradona wasn't able to accomplish success with his teams. But that's allright, that's normal. No man, no matter how good, wins championships in a team sport by himself, no matter how much sports fans like to pretend otherwise.

P/S: Messi did sucker the ref into red carding a Chilean player in the last final, tbh.
    Diego won trophies with Boca and Barça, but the most remarkable was winning it all with Argentina in '86 (he played well in the final, serving the assist for Burruchaga to win the game), then reaching the finals with an very average team in '90 and winning scudettos with Napoli. Those teams were never supposed to go that far.

The Spanish NT that championed in three consecutive tournies from 2008 Euro - 2010 Mundial - 2012 Euro is widely considered the best ever. It was based on Barcelona's players and tiki-taka style of play. At the same time Messi couldn't win trophies with Argentina. While I wouldn't call second place a failure, the best should have made the difference in 4 finals or while playing CA at home.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    He was too past his prime, wasn't in conditions to play at that level. He wasn't the same after the first suspension in '91 and that was much later.

Thread Information