Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take out the "near" part, especially in '05 when he should've won NBA Finals MVP.
    10 people voted. 6 said Tim Duncan should be Finals MVP. That means Tim Duncan should've been Finals MVP.

Luckily, the vote counter was able to correctly discern this information and correct player was awarded with the trophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well sure, But I wouldn't say Ginobili 'deserved' finals MVP over Duncan. He did one of a job, But Duncan was still the main anchor on both ends.
    Ok, maybe not unanimously but the argument can be made that Manu deserved the MVP over TD. I'd have given it to him but can see why others would give it to TD. Although, in Game 7, it took TD 27 shot attempts to get 25 points to Manu's 13 shots to get his 23 and Manu was clutch in the Championship minutes there.

Soft Like Twinkie Filling Juggity's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, maybe not unanimously but the argument can be made that Manu deserved the MVP over TD. I'd have given it to him but can see why others would give it to TD. Although, in Game 7, it took TD 27 shot attempts to get 25 points to Manu's 13 shots to get his 23 and Manu was clutch in the Championship minutes there.
    Tim's defensive impact was head and shoulders above Manu's in that series, too. While both were great, Tim definitely deserved the MVP. Came through clutch in the fourth quarter of game 7 to put it away. Easily the toughest series TD ever played matchup-wise, and he came through when everything was on the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10 people voted. 6 said Tim Duncan should be Finals MVP. That means Tim Duncan should've been Finals MVP.

Luckily, the vote counter was able to correctly discern this information and correct player was awarded with the trophy.
    Needless attempt to be a . It's a rational argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol Gino's TS% was 61% while Duncan had a 37 TS%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Needless attempt to be a . It's a rational argument.
    Your "argument" was that Manu Ginobili "should've" won finals MVP. The facts disagree with that statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Gino's TS% was 61% while Duncan had a 37 TS%
    Yeah, I'm sure being guarded by Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace and McDyess the majority of the series and keeping them occupied and setting screens for Manu has nothing to do with Manu shooting better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim's defensive impact was head and shoulders above Manu's in that series, too. While both were great, Tim definitely deserved the MVP. Came through clutch in the fourth quarter of game 7 to put it away. Easily the toughest series TD ever played matchup-wise, and he came through when everything was on the line.
    Well, it's not really fair to compare defensive assignments in that Finals and Manu was no slouch in it either, leading the team in steals.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Granger is not the missing piece. He is going at this with an allen iverson type mindest imo. Demanding starters minutes on a contender. Any team who would give him starters minutes because he would be their best option is clearly not a contender. That would be like a fat girl going on a double cheeseburger only diet and expect to lose weight. He isnt what he used to be but his too y and proud to see it. And also when granger was option a on his team the pacers ceiling was a mediocre team at best and offensively he was somewhat of a blackhole and chucker. I could give two s if the spurs miss out on him. Defensively he used to be pretty damn good. Injuries have put a dent in those abilities.

Granger is the missing piece! Your one of those Spurs fan that says Manu can still be the Manu of old?! Stop being in denial. This team needs an extra athletic wing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your "argument" was that Manu Ginobili "should've" won finals MVP. The facts disagree with that statement.
    TD was definitely more consistent from game to game than Manu in that series.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu helps the Spurs win the champion; but Timmy is the foundation; without him, the Spurs doesn't even have a chance. Ditto for 07 though Tony was the Finals MVP. After 08, you may argue Tony has become the foundation (sans last season). Before that, it's all about Timmy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree; I think justice was served.

I would have been okay with a 5-5 vote and Co-MVPs, too. But in no way do I think Manu meant more to the team than Timmy did. Especially Game 7. Spurs down by 9 and season inches from slipping away, on our home floor no less. A call goes our way and all of a sudden no one on the court can guard Timmy, and the master goes to work. Manu was absolutely great all playoffs, but that was one of those rare "snatching victory from the clutches of defeat" moment, only 3rd quarter be damned. If that had lead ballooned up any further, if the Pistons gained any more momentum ... no way do the Spurs rally back, IMHO. The Pistons were just too good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF. What's with 2005 MVP Finals debate on Granger's status.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan in the '05 Finals: 21ppg, 14rpg, 2apg, 2bpg
    Manu Ginobili in the '05 Finals: 19ppg, 5rpg, 4apg, 1spg

Maybe I'm missing something.
    I don't think the stats are that far off where giving it to Manu would have been blasphemy. As you remember, Duncan almost cost them game 5 down the stretch. If stats alone told the whole story, Kevin Love would be in the MVP conversation by putting up 27 and 13.

Duncan deserved the MVP, but Manu was playing at a near MVP level in the biggest Finals defensive battle of the past two decades.

Especially Game 7. Spurs down by 9 and season inches from slipping away, on our home floor no less.
    That's what clinched it for him no doubt. Just like his play in 6 would have last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu had a great series but he was playing off of prime Duncan. That opened so many things for him. Duncan was the center of each opponents entire defensive gameplan back then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu had a great series but he was playing off of prime Duncan. That opened so many things for him. Duncan was the center of each opponents entire defensive gameplan back then.
    You are correct. Manu did come up huge though and Tony would always shrivel then and get benched while some others would step in and finish the game so opening up the floor didn't seem to do much for him at the time in the big series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Granger is not the missing piece. He is going at this with an allen iverson type mindest imo. Demanding starters minutes on a contender. Any team who would give him starters minutes because he would be their best option is clearly not a contender. That would be like a fat girl going on a double cheeseburger only diet and expect to lose weight. He isnt what he used to be but his too y and proud to see it. And also when granger was option a on his team the pacers ceiling was a mediocre team at best and offensively he was somewhat of a blackhole and chucker. I could give two s if the spurs miss out on him. Defensively he used to be pretty damn good. Injuries have put a dent in those abilities.
    This isn't about Granger being a "missing piece". Anyone who knows what they're talking about knows he's a fringe rotation player right now and more than likely will be for the remainder of the season (heck, he might just be that now period, but that can't be said with certainty until next season given how much time he's missed). This is about getting the best insurance possible at this point . . . and let's be honest, no matter how bad he is in his current state, it'd have been nice to see a big name pick the Spurs for once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Granger is the missing piece! Your one of those Spurs fan that says Manu can still be the Manu of old?! Stop being in denial. This team needs an extra athletic wing.
    Manu is not the manu of old. Similarly, danny granger is not the danny of old. If he was then he never would have been traded and he would have been playingstarters minutes. Lost a step so he cant effectively penetrate. He is essentially a chucker eith length. Current manu > current granger. Granger has never been able to create for others. Manu still can. The majority of people commenting clearly are basing their opinions on old danny. New danny cant surpass danny green, manu or beli in the rotation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is way off.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is not the manu of old. Similarly, danny granger is not the danny of old. If he was then he never would have been traded and he would have been playingstarters minutes. Lost a step so he cant effectively penetrate. He is essentially a chucker eith length. Current manu > current granger. Granger has never been able to create for others. Manu still can. The majority of people commenting clearly are basing their opinions on old danny. New danny cant surpass danny green, manu or beli in the rotation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is way off.
    Granger on 1 knee is better than Jeff Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you didn't see in the other thread yet, Granger going to the Clips like we all knew he would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always have to sit back and laugh at guys who "respect" the Spurs but choose play for a franchise not only known for failure, but the most racist terrible ownership in the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always have to sit back and laugh at guys who "respect" the Spurs but choose play for a franchise not only known for failure, but the most racist terrible ownership in the game
    Don't worry we'll feel better when we see ESPN cut to puppy dog eyed Granger as the clock ticks down on the Clips playoff run, contender my ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not so much the contender thing. It's the going out of the way to say you respect the Spurs would & would love to play for Pop, but don't do it when you have a choice and instead play for a laughing stock of a franchise with one of the worst humans on the planet as an owner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not so much the contender thing. It's the going out of the way to say you respect the Spurs would & would love to play for Pop, but don't do it when you have a choice and instead play for a laughing stock of a franchise with one of the worst humans on the planet as an owner.
    I respect old people but that doesn't mean if they were putting a team together I'd want to play with them. Spurs are a great organization but Granger knows this is a stop gap, he won't be there past this season if he chose the Spurs and he's thinking long term money.

Thread Information