Tim Duncan $15,845,156
    Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
    Emanuel Ginobili $7,425,000
    Radoslav Nesterovic $6,720,000
    Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
    Brent Barry $4,950,000
    Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
    Beno Udrih $904,800
    Robert Horry (?) ~$4,000,000 (total guess)
    Fabricio Oberto ~$2,300,000

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshold.

Just food for thought.

If anyone knows anywhere that Horry's contract amount was listed, please post it.
    Last edited by Kori Ellis; 07-25-2005 at 03:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan $15,845,156
    Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
    Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
    Brent Barry $4,950,000
    Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
    Beno Udrih $904,800

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshhold.

Just food for thought.

Let's hope he's not in the committed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually not very much considering the price of centers. But it's too much if he's not going to play and perform.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was Buford thinking him signing for that much? That is the only mistake he has made IMO
    Yeah, I think he also made that a mistake, look at Scola..

How much money would we be saving, and in return of more talent..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that Spurs fans might have the future hopes altered by the Holt Cat owned Spurs. Holt championed the implementation of the luxury tax and has at times vowed that he'd never go over it. Even though the rules have be loosened considerably regarding the lux tax (teams over it will be out only the amount they are over, rather than the amount they are over + the lux tax rebate), I still don't believe that Holt is going to be willing to splurge.

That said, I think that the Spurs will do everything they can to stay under the lax tax threshold. With the players Kori listed above, plus the rest of the MLE, plus the LLE and with the re-signing of Devin, the Spurs would push the Spurs into the tax zone. That's just not going to happen under the Holt ownership, IMO.

What can the Spurs do about that? It's tough to say for this season. Unless they aren't going to spend anymore money, it appears that they are destined to go over the threshold.

Will Holt bit the bullet and pay the luxury tax? Given his history, I doubt it. If that is the case, looking at the Spurs' finances long-term, I believe the following is true:

1) Rasho Nesterovic is out of here. He'll probably be traded for a player in the final year of his deal. That would get his salary slot of the books and give the Spurs a player they can use for a year.

But even in that scenario, the player who Rasho is traded for will push the Spurs into the lux tax threshold. That brings me to believe that the Spurs, if they are ordered not to exceed the threshold, will either have to waive him (using the amnesty clause) or trade him to a team with cap room who can absorb most if not all of his contract. Rasho to the a team with cap room for a pick is a trade that comes to mind.

2) The Spurs won't spend too freely the rest of this summer. Using the rest of the MLE ($2.5M), the LLE ($1.7M) and re-signing Devin Brown ($1-2.5M) is unlikely to happen. That is over $5M that the Spurs really can't afford if they are going to try to avoid the lux tax threshold.

I think that means it'll come down to the Spurs using the rest of the MLE or re-signing Devin Brown. I don't think both will occur. Which means, it will either be a perimeter player signed with the rest of the MLE or Devin Brown re-signed. It could very well come down to the much touted decision of Maurice Evans or Devin Brown.

Either way, I don't think the LLE will be used. The Spurs will probably just fill the rest of the roster with minimum contracts. In one way, that makes sense because you only get the LLE once every other year. If the Spurs don't use it this year, they can use it next year.

3) The Spurs will have to juggle the lineup to afford Nazr Mohammed after this season. The only certainty is the Spurs can't afford Rasho and Nazr.

4) Brent Barry is gone after next season. After this coming season, he'll be a 34 year old guard with two years at > $11M left on his contract. Trading him and going with younger, cheaper players will allow the Spurs to afford Nazr and the raises in the contracts of the rest of the team.

The lux tax threshold looks like its going to be somewhere between $59M and $62M. The above total of the players already signed is $59.3M. With the Spurs already on the borderline of the threshold, it's going to be tough to get under it and finish filling out the roster.

In a perfect world, the Spurs wouldn't worry if their salary total was in the mid-$60M range. But under the Holt Cat reign, I highly doubt that is the case.
    Last edited by Kori Ellis; 07-25-2005 at 10:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That said, my previous post could be moot if either Holt green lights the Spurs to spend at will or the salaries that the rest of the world has aren't accurate. I could see a couple of those contracts being about a million lower than the figures stated. That would help give the Spurs some breathing room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think barry will ever be traded.
    I think they would trade him right now for the right deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Barry will get traded... he got what he wanted.. a championship and he didn't contribute much..

but it all depends on what he does next year.. if his three comes back and he does a very good job, he might stay here for a few more seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan $15,845,156
    Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
    Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
    Brent Barry $4,950,000
    Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
    Beno Udrih $904,800

That's already about $60M. Dangerously close to the estimated luxury tax threshold.
    I think you should add $900,000 for ian. In the old CBA, unsigned first round pick count against the cap and the luxury tax.
    Larry Coon's salary FAQ :
    Unsigned first round picks are included in team salary immediately upon their selection in the draft. They count as 100% of the scale salary for that pick, unless there is a verbal agreement for a higher salary.

In the new CBA, all teams receive a full share of the escrow. If the luxury tax is 58-59 M$, the real dollar for dollar tax begins at 61-62M$.

In the new CBA, Luxury tax exceptions will be added in some form for minimum salary players. Maybe Spurs will complete the roster with minimum salaries (except for the 4th wingman) because a $2M will cost 4M$ and a 1M$ vet min will cost 1M$. Spurs will not use half of the MLE and the LLE this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st rounders do not count against the cap when they are already under contract with a non-NBA team:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#40

40. What if the team and player can't agree to a contract? What options does the player have? How long does the team keep his draft rights?

The player's options are limited. What happens depends on a number of factors:

• If the player is already under contract, or signs a contract with a non-NBA team, the team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA. Players are not included in the team's team salary while the player is under contract with a non-NBA team.

• If the player was still eligible to play in college before he was drafted, the team retains the player's draft rights until the draft the player would have entered had he not left college early. For example, if a team drafts a college sop re in 2001, they retain his draft rights until the date of the 2003 draft. Note that the current NCAA rules state that players lose their NCAA eligibility if they are drafted, so the player could not return or go on to play college ball.

• For all other players, the team retains the player's draft rights until the date of the next draft.

In any of the above cases, if the team does not sign the player in the allotted time, the player can enter the next draft. If the team that selects the player in the next draft doesn't sign him either, he beomes a rookie free agent.

When a team signs a first round draft pick in a year other than the year in which he was drafted, the player is signed using the salary scale for the year in which he is signed, not the year he was drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st rounders do not count against the cap when they are already under contract with a non-NBA team:
    You' re right. I'm not sure Ian has signed a contract with Le havre but he will sign one for the next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Trade rasho for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. We have Tim, Oberto, Nazi, and even Horry who can play at 5.
    -Use 4 million on Finley for a 1 year contract to play sf and sign brown for 1-2 million for 3 year contract with an option a 4th year

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said repeatedly (and still stand by it) that I think you will see the Spurs go over the tax by roughly 5-6 million.

The new lux tax rules stipulate that ALL teams get a share of the luxury tax, so it's not like staying under is getting the Spurs that financial boom they used to by staying under the threshold.

I figured it out a couple of weeks ago, based on salaries out there (and factoring likely amnesty casualties like Finley and Houston) every NBA team stands to make at least 4 million off the lux tax this year, so I think it would be safe to figure on the Spurs being willing to go at least that much over the threshold, given their prior financial a en (typically coming withing a couple hundred K of the limit).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading reduces salary only when you trade a longer-term contract for a shorter one. This was one of the benefits of the Nazr-Rose trade. If they let Nazr go after this year, the Spurs can keep salary at around the lux tax level, but if they sign him to an extension, they will go a lot farther into lux tax territory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading reduces salary only when you trade a longer-term contract for a shorter one. This was one of the benefits of the Nazr-Rose trade. If they let Nazr go after this year, the Spurs can keep salary at around the lux tax level, but if they sign him to an extension, they will go a lot farther into lux tax territory.
    Under the new CBA rules, players' contracts in a trade must be within 25% from each other. That means that the Spurs could save up to ~1.7M if they trade for the right player/contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "3) The Spurs will have to juggle the lineup to afford Nazr Mohammed after this season. The only certainty is the Spurs can't afford Rasho and Nazr. "

I still think its too risky to trade Rasho before we extend Nazr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said repeatedly (and still stand by it) that I think you will see the Spurs go over the tax by roughly 5-6 million
    So you agree that they probably won't use the rest of the MLE, the entire LLE, and re-sign Devin?

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I see you guys using whatever cash you have left over nonetheless. It would be stupid to let Devin walk and to not get that sf you guys have been "needing". Whatever you have left of the MLE its gonna be used on somebody.According to many "Spurs fans" they claim if they dont get a SF their as good as done for next year.Go figure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Trade rasho for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. We have Tim, Oberto, Nazi, and even Horry who can play at 5.
    -Use 4 million on Finley for a 1 year contract to play sf and sign brown for 1-2 million for 3 year contract with an option a 4th year
    Sounds good if it werent difficult; I think Devin could earn more than than money in FA, Finley perhpas will come to SA because the extra $$$ he'll keep from amnesty clause.

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    4) Brent Barry is gone after next season. After this coming season, he'll be a 36 year old guard with two years at > $11M left on his contract. Trading him and going with younger, cheaper players will allow the Spurs to afford Nazr and the raises in the contracts of the rest of the team.QUOTE]

ummmmmm Brent will be like 34 or so after next season. Not 36.

PARKER HAS RE-SIGNED!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok, someone help me.
    it seems accepted Nazr is going to cost us more than rasho if extended. so why would we trade rasho and keep him. if salary is a concern and given the small difference between the 2 players why would a solution not be let Nazr walk away next summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ummmmmm Brent will be like 34 or so after next season. Not 36.
    I think that was a typo. I thought I fixed it last night, sorry. He'll be 36 at the end of his contract.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that it makes a difference but my guess is horry's contract starts under 3 million

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan $15,845,156
    Tony Parker ~$8,300,000
    Nazr Mohammed $5,500,000
    Brent Barry $4,950,000
    Bruce Bowen $3,375,000
    Beno Udrih $904,800

Just food for thought.

If anyone knows anywhere that Horry's contract amount was listed, please post it.

I think we are over paying TD...he needs to take a paycut. Also trade Rasho.

Then the Spurs will be set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, today's ESPN insiders lists Rasho as a likely amnesty casualty:

San Antonio Spurs $59M Rasho Nesterovic

The Spurs tried to pawn off Nesterovic to the Blazers for Abdur-Rahim but look as though they're now out of luck. Given where their payroll seems to be heading, they might want to get out of the four years, $30 million left on Nesterovic's deal before it's too late.

Thread Information