Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im on board, we want Wemby first, Scoot 2nd…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d throw up. AM is a homeless man’s Jrue Holiday.
    Just difference of opinions but I’ve been wanting a pass first point guard who can bully ball forever. Plus AM was very crafty. Obviously Scoot is way more athletic but if he plays like AM but with hops, then I would be stoked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just difference of opinions but I’ve been wanting a pass first point guard who can bully ball forever. Plus AM was very crafty. Obviously Scoot is way more athletic but if he plays like AM but with hops, then I would be stoked
    That player type was valid 20-30 years ago. It’s like pining for a post up big. The game has move past that. AM couldn’t guard half of the 3 point flinging mosquitos playing in the league now.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not against Scoot. But I did think that recent article on him was fluff and felt like PR spin. Mostly unrelated, but the fact that the G League pulled Scoot was a bad look.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not against Scoot. But I did think that recent article on him was fluff and felt like PR spin. Mostly unrelated, but the fact that the G League pulled Scoot was a bad look.
    It's the smart move.

You don't want him blowing out a knee when he's projected to be going 2 or 3 in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Scoot will be a Spur if the Spurs land the #2 pick:

1)

2) at his young age, cares about the community: has an AAU basketball program for young boys and girls

3) says the Spurs’ mantra all the time: “Control what you can control”

4) has the right mindset about what type of player he wants to be: “I want to be like Andre Miller with the pace and the ability to see the floor. Pass like Chris Paul and be smart. On a skillset level, I want to be like Damian Lillard. I want to be a clash of all those guys. On defense, be like Jrue Holiday. I watch all of their film and try to be that one whole player.

I was trying to meet Andre. I was watching film of him before the game. Miller was going slow as heck, but he was getting whatever he wanted. I feel I have the ability to go slow and fast and still get what I want.”

5) says he wants to study the entire playbook for whatever team he’s drafted to

6) he’s incredibly mature: ““I’m not going to regret coming here at all,” Henderson said. “I’m going to be proud of what I became out of this organization, and how I came into it. I always look back at old pictures and how I came into it, and how I’m leaving, how I act about certain situations and how I go about them now. It’s just seeing my growth as a person.”

7) his teammates love him:

The Ignite players, coaching staff and other staff members all say they’re going to miss Henderson because of his humility, lack of ego and thoughtfulness.”
    I forgot #8

Sochan has been in the gym with Scoot and has gone out to dinner with him multiple times. Spurs won’t have to rely on “puff pieces” or even pre-draft interviews to get a good judge of his character. If anyone watched the one on one interview with Parker and Sochan recently, Parker stated it was the team bonding events like dinner that made the team successful. The Spurs will go for the guy that will mesh well chemistry-wise with their core players, IMO.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-31-2023 at 06:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the smart move.

You don't want him blowing out a knee when he's projected to be going 2 or 3 in the draft.
    In the context of the College vs G League debate here, at least, it didn’t make me think the league is about compe ion. Obviously it’s about developing talent and the NBA trying to protect Scoot from sliding. But yeah it’s a business move. Doesn’t mean he can’t still be good. Dejounte is high on him and I typically trust his draft analysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be totally disappointed if Scoot was the pick, but I rather Spurs draft a long, silky shooter Miller. Scoot will allow Sochan to play Point-Forward and defend the 4 where he belong. Scoot can break defenses and creates for shooters like Vassell/Brahnam. He is a one-man transition offense and can make the team run. I just don’t like him not shooting deep as well right now. And I got the feeling Blake will be as good (and even better) in 2-3 years. Then we miss out on Miller who can shoot from anywhere on the court. Easily Miller comes in scoring 20+ points out of the gate, and more once he gets stronger. Miller has the size, the length and shooting from deeep to score over anyone (hence my comp to poor KD). A 6’9” who can shoot the lights out vs a 6’2 PG with limited shooting range? I’d take Miller.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be totally disappointed if Scoot was the pick, but I rather Spurs draft a long, silky shooter Miller. Scoot will allow Sochan to play Point-Forward and defend the 4 where he belong. Scoot can break defenses and creates for shooters like Vassell/Brahnam. He is a one-man transition offense and can make the team run. I just don’t like him not shooting deep as well right now. And I got the feeling Blake will be as good (and even better) in 2-3 years. Then we miss out on Miller who can shoot from anywhere on the court. Easily Miller comes in scoring 20+ points out of the gate, and more once he gets stronger. Miller has the size, the length and shooting from deeep to score over anyone (hence my comp to poor KD). A 6’9” who can shoot the lights out vs a 6’2 PG with limited shooting range? I’d take Miller.
    I question Miller's ability to guard the 3 or 4, im not sure he has the strength or Dawg in him to make an impact on D . His handles needs work but I think he can develop that. I fear that we are over valuing his shooting percentage and glossing over a lack of upside. I've got him at #3, bit the more tape I watch the harder it is for me to justify.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That player type was valid 20-30 years ago. It’s like pining for a post up big. The game has move past that. AM couldn’t guard half of the 3 point flinging mosquitos playing in the league now.
    I think it’s still valid today to play like that. Also I wasn’t talking defensively at all. Scoot is way more athletic than AM so hypothetically he should be able to keep up on defense if he learns how to play it. But PG defense is the most overrated thing of all time and has almost zero affect on teams today. There’s Jrue and uhhhhhh

Anyways I think the 3ball is overstated today. Kyrie, Lillard, Trae jack up and make a lot of 3s. It doesn’t do them any good. Collapsing the defense and kicking out to the open man always works no matter the nba era. And being able to finish at the rim always works too no matter the era. You still have to have balance in todays game to win. Scoot will not be a savior. But he could be a solid two guy one day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Scoot is going to be a really good upper tier player. However I'm not sold that he will be a type if player to build a team around, but still if we don't get first pick to land Wemby I don't think Spurs can go wrong having to pick Scoot..

I'm still praying to the basketball gods that we get that first pick because Wemby will be that type of player that changes the whole game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be interesting if other teams would be willing to trade down from #2.

Spurs, Rockets and Orlando definitely need a true point guard.
    Pistons could fit him next to Cade.
    But Hornets, Blazers and Pacers definitely don't need Scoot. Unless Dame finally gets traded, which I doubt.

I think those three would trade down from #2 or even pick someone else if they're dumb enough not to get extra assets.

If we assume the best case scenario for both, I'd rather have PG13-like player in Miller than any point guard without deep range, but current Spurs roster needs a true playmaker, first and foremost.
    I guess that's why we're not paid big bucks. Hopefully we don't have to worry about this if we win the lottery, but anything other than #1 or #3 pick would mean there are some tough choices to be made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If what you say about your game and at ude makes a difference in how many millions you make on draft day, I believe that any kid can be coached to say all the right things.

That being said you have to take the best player available at this high in the draft. If it is Scoot, OK. If they have found some kid in Uzbekistan that nobody knows about but our scourts, they better be right. And that goes for all the other possible picks in the lottery sweepstakes. I don't see anyone who is a generational player other than Wemby so the FO should make their best call and we will all have to live with it.

I'm not a big fan of KJ as our starter and go-to guy, but he has improved his game and BBIQ and that's all U can ask for. I root for him every time he gets on the floor.
    Last edited by wildbill2u; 03-31-2023 at 12:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as these young players being coached on what to say, I guess I sort of assume they are all being coached on what to say, and if a player can actually follow through and say something that seems positive, I think I actually take that as a positive. But it’s just part of the job interview process of trying to look good. To me, the issue is when someone doesn’t say the right pla udes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If what you say about your game and at ude makes a difference in how many millions you make on draft day, I believe that any kid can be coached to say all the right things.

It doesn't make any positive difference tbh. NBA GMs have heard that one million times. hence spurs (and others) ask disturbing questions to test prospects and see what is behind the facade.

As far as these young players being coached on what to say, I guess I sort of assume they are all being coached on what to say, and if a player can actually follow through and say something that seems positive, I think I actually take that as a positive. But it’s just part of the job interview process of trying to look good. To me, the issue is when someone doesn’t say the right pla udes.
    Not sure tbh. Showing some personality and sincerity can go a long way as far FOs will perceive you, instead of rehashing random stuff that will show you can't think for yourself. I believe those rethorics are more about agents being scared that their golden egg chickens hurt their value than making them looking good. It's more about not looking bad than looking good.

Not sure guys like Tim, Tony or Manu needed that. If an agent is scared his player might slip, then there actually might be an issue.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said you have to take the best player available at this high in the draft.
    Absolutely. By the next time this team is in the playoffs I doubt much of the current roster will still be here, so the current roster is irrelevant unless the Spurs fall hard in the draft lottery. Like last time the Spurs were in this kind of situation in 86-87 and won the rights to draft David the only players on the roster who survived until the 89-90 season were Frank Brickowski and then Johnny Moore came back for another year after being out of the NBA. I'd be surprised to see any of this current roster outside of maybe one or two of Vassell, Sochan, and Keldon still on this team when Webanyama would be 22-23 and leading the team to the playoffs in the best case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoot at the Warriors game tonight and gave a shoutout to both Branham and Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will do freaking backflips is Spurs land Scoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't be disappointed with Scoot but historically speaking, PGs (as the main star) are the least position that can lead a team to win a championship or being a top contender.
    Maybe the last one was Derrick Rose (top contender) but Miami Heat Big 3 and injuries happened.
    Outside Wemby, Scoot might be the best fit for the Spurs assuming the Spurs is in Top 3 - if Pistons or Rockets is in #2 and the Spurs are the #3, hope they pick Brandon.

To be fair, regardless who they pick this upcoming draft is that they'll still be a tanking team for atleast 2-4 more years before they can be a contender again since not only the west but the league is stacked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will do freaking backflips is Spurs land Scoot.
    Yeah, I'm on the same boat. I don't fully buy into Scoot as a "franchise cornerstone" kind of prospect, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it'd be an incredible draft pick for the Spurs.

If nothing else, it fills one of the positions we're least talented in (sorry Tre, I don't think you're the future, and Wesley's no less than two years away from swaying any drafting choice the Spurs make) with a true AAA prospect to build and develop. Plus, it leaves the Spurs' roster very unbalanced on bigs, which is great if the team decides the tank is on for next season as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't be disappointed with Scoot but historically speaking, PGs (as the main star) are the least position that can lead a team to win a championship or being a top contender.
    Maybe the last one was Derrick Rose (top contender) but Miami Heat Big 3 and injuries happened.
    Outside Wemby, Scoot might be the best fit for the Spurs assuming the Spurs is in Top 3 - if Pistons or Rockets is in #2 and the Spurs are the #3, hope they pick Brandon.

To be fair, regardless who they pick this upcoming draft is that they'll still be a tanking team for atleast 2-4 more years before they can be a contender again since not only the west but the league is stacked.
    They might be a lottery team, but they will not intentionally dump games for a 1/7 chance at no one special. The tank ends with the last game of this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be semantics if we’re tanking or not next year. Still a lottery team. Maybe win 5 more games. If Pop leaves, then could be just as bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might be a lottery team, but they will not intentionally dump games for a 1/7 chance at no one special. The tank ends with the last game of this season.
    Ah yeah. Sorry I wasn't emphasize properly what I meant about "tanking team" which is either the team will just suck naturally or intentionally losing games which will depend on how the season goes by. So yeah, lottery team is the proper term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want a top 2 pick so bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I surely hope so. I think Pop allowed the tank this season, and only for a chance at a generational talent like Wemby, and I suspect with much prodding by both Tony and Bobo. But I think next season they will take their chances at a late lottery and on Spurs ability to scout and develop players.

Thread Information