Page 274 of 278 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278 LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,850 of 6947
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    that tells me how much we overrate the scouts. i saw manziel play in high school and he was better than a three star at that time but his lack of size and disrespect the SA greater has in terms of the football talent here affected his rating. the same can be said of justin stockton. i still, to this day, have not seen any high school football player in person with the speed stockton has, and yet he was only a three star as well. had stockton or manziel gone to a houston school or dallas area school they would have been rated at four stars.
    Fwiw, Scout gave Stockton a 4th star at the end of his senior year

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    in your opinion, why do you think so many schools passed on Johnny and Mariota?
    Not sure about Inbred, but Mariota probably didn't get heavily recruited because most schools don't want to deal with the hassle of recruiting in Hawai'i.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Not sure about Inbred, but Mariota probably didn't get heavily recruited because most schools don't want to deal with the hassle of recruiting in Hawai'i.
    What hassle?

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Traveling to Hawaii is not a vacation for them but a schlep. The state is barely a blip on the recruiting radar as a result. Most coaches outside the West Coast ignore Hawaiian players altogether. The state has sent more than 50 three-, four- and five-star recruits to play Division-I college football in the last five years, and all but two stayed on Hawaii’s side of the Mississippi River.

Even for coaches who are closer to Hawaii, like Oregon’s staff, it is not exactly paradise. The time difference makes it unlikely that Southeastern Conference coaches will look at Hawaiian recruits. But it’s also time-consuming for West Coast coaches. The few non-stop flights between Portland and Honolulu require a two-hour drive and six-hour flight for Oregon’s coaches. “It was actually a pain,” said former Oregon defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

The long business trip turns recruiting Hawaii into the equivalent of a Goldman Sachs banker hopping to Paris for breakfast, wooing a new client over café au lait and flying back to New York for dinner. “You never wanted to lose a day, so you always had to do the red-eye going home,” said former UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel. “That was a nightmare.”

The other hassle of Hawaii is that there aren’t enough players to make the haul worthwhile. Many warm-weather states, where it’s possible to play football all year round, are breeding grounds for big-time programs. Texas, for example, had 569 players that were given top rankings by the recruiting website Rivals last year. Florida had 526, and California had 523. Hawaii had 21.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-no-o...ota-1418327384

My Team
    Boise State Broncos
    Post Count
    Basically, travel is a pain and there's not enough talent to be worth it.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    in your opinion, why do you think so many schools passed on Johnny and Mariota?
    Pure speculation, but given his upbringing and the culture he comes from I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota shut down his recruiting after comitting to Oregon early. Man of his word and all that. Football had several upper tier P5 offers (A&M, Oregon, Stanford, etc).

Probably measurables though, which are pretty overrated for CFB imo. They matter more for the NFL.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    CB Keivon Ramsey ended up signing with West Texas A&M.
    UTSA should've given him a shot tbh.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Coach Rumph to Florida is now official.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Well ing

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods saying Coach Rumph took the Florida job before speaking with Strong, but we'll never know if that's just spin.

Would love to know who knew what and when since Rumph wasn't hired the first time and the job opened a month later.

Post Count
    Coach Rumph to Florida is now official.
    Damn, all momentum UT had recruiting suddenly comes to a screeching stop. Expect new recruits to not let this go without saying there say so, gonna get ugly...Strong better start winning cause the moral and ethical selling points are now out the window

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    bag move if true.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This is really an awful development.
    You gotta hire people with integrity. It's not fair to these kids. Remember Tuberville walking out on a recruit during an interview... Slime ball.

Post Count
    He is replaceble. Sucks, but life will go on for the recruits.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Core values baby!!! Charlie is such an honorable man!

Call Me Deebs@DeeChilllin 4s 5 seconds ago
    Its not even the fact he left. Bc thats what coaches do. Its the fact i was told it wasnt going to happen

Post Count
    Follow

Call Me Deebs‼️
    ‏@DeeChilllin
    Ya'll dont worry me & Charless_94 gone ball at DKR either way it go! #HookEm

Players gonna play for Strong not Rumph..Just a replaceable coach, but Strong is still at UT, sorry ATM fans..

Post Count
    I doubt Charlie told him that unless Charlie really believed it. The man is all class and has great integrity.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Basically, travel is a pain and there's not enough talent to be worth it.
    ok. That makes some sense why so many schools passed on Mariota.

But for Johnny, he played in Texas and was getting plenty of local press.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Football had several upper tier P5 offers (A&M, Oregon, Stanford, etc).
    Lol "etc"

Where were the offers from UT, Tech, Okie, Okie St, Bama, LSU etc?

Johnny was the national high school player of the year and he played in Kerrville, so it's not like these schools had to fly to Hawaii to see him.

Where were they?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I doubt Charlie told him that unless Charlie really believed it. The man is all class and has great integrity.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    but Strong is still at UT, sorry ATM fans..
    Huh? I have no problem Texas having the 6-7 charlie strong and his core values. Guy is the next Fran.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm seeing Clint Hurtt's name out there as potentially being offered the job already.

Has ties to Strong from Louisville. Currently with the Chicago Bears.

Post Count
    ok. That makes some sense why so many schools passed on Mariota.

But for Johnny, he played in Texas and was getting plenty of local press.
    Huh? I have no problem Texas having the 6-7 charlie strong and his core values. Guy is the next Fran.
    2012= 11-2
    2013=9-4
    2014= 8-5

Are you starting to see a trend here? I try and root for all texas football teams but I am big fan of Strong and Aggie's seem to think they are getting better with each season under Sumlin when the records say otherwise.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You are worried.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Keep it on the rails there, DT.

Thread Information