Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to see Brent depart. He gave the Spurs his best, on and off the court...with a couple of rings to show for it.

Spurs may be signing a decent player in the weeks to come, while getting younger in the process.

The Brent Barry loss is clearly another Daryl Morey chess move and a trap he set for the Spurs weeks ago, considerng each counter move before they happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to see Brent depart. He gave the Spurs his best, on and off the court...with a couple of rings to show for it.

Spurs may be signing a decent player in the weeks to come, while getting younger in the process.

The Brent Barry loss is clearly another Daryl Morey chess move and a trap he set for the Spurs weeks ago, considerng each counter move before they happen.
    Stat Geek checkmated DraftExpress, I guess.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am sure Pop has talked to him about his option in returning and letting him know that there is still a roster spot for him.

Remember, the reason he re-signed with the Spurs in the first place is because his family, home, etc. is all in SA. Why would he take another year spot to be away from with a new team etc. when he is like a year away from retiring.

I don't think we have anything to worry about honestly.
    Just reiterating...

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5863210.html

The Rockets began free agent recruiting period with an 11 p.m. call to Spurs guard Brent Barry, but the team could have already hit a snag in its hopes to bring back forward Carl Landry.

The Rockets will call Barry as quickly as NBA rules allow in an effort to land the free agent that got away during the season when Barry was released by the Seattle SuperSonics but chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs.

Barry, 36, struggled to come back from a calf injury after he was dealt at the trade deadline, but made 49.1 percent of his shots and 46.3 percent of his 3s in the post-season. He averaged 7.1 points in 17.9 minutes, making 48.1 percent of his shots, in the regular season, in his 12th NBA season.

If he signs with the Rockets, he would follow his father, Hall of Famer Rick Barry, and brother, Jon Barry, who both finished their careers with the Rockets.

Signing Landry, the Rockets other primary free agent target might be more complicated than another chase of Barry, or even last summer’s sticky and eventually contentious negotiations when Landry was an unsigned second-round pick.

The Rockets have asked for Landry to undergo more in-depth testing of his right knee, which was injured during the season, before they would extend an offer. Landry, 24, missed seven games with what was termed a sore right knee. He averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in 42 games, making 61.6 percent of his shots.

The Rockets signed Landry just before the start of training camp after a long, often tense negotiation over the amount of money that would be guaranteed in his rookie contract. The Rockets had planned to sign him to a three-year deal using a portion of their mid-level exception, but instead spent they remainder of their exception money to sign Steve Francis.

Landry is a restricted free agent, giving the Rockets the option to match any offer he receives, as long as the contract would work with the salary cap rules. That would limit them to their mid-level exception money. They hope to use the lower level exception, worth roughly $1.9 million, for Barry.

“We’re only making an offer if he gets a more detailed examination than imaging,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

Morey did not say that there were specific concerns, only that the team wanted as much information as possible before making an offer.

Landry’s agent, Buddy Baker, did not return messages on Monday.

The Rockets did avoid free agency with their 2006 first-round pick, Steve Novak. They exercised their option to extend Novak’s contract for a third season, worth $797,581. Novak averaged 2.7 points in 79 games in his first two seasons.

“Steve is a valuable asset to the Rockets,” Morey said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prepare yourselves for the Matt Bonner Experience.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GET RID OF THAT !

A simple link would've sufficed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indazone, fix that .

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    sorry fixed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The biggest problem I see is that Barry knows everything the Spurs do pretty well. He was here for 4 years, and while his knowledge of the D could be sketchy at times, his execution of the offense was pretty much flawless. He generally makes good decisions with the ball, he's very smart about getting bigmen easy easy baskets, Adelman will love his quick passes, and he knows our offense and every weakness of Parker, Bruce, Manu and Duncan..........and Pop...that's kind of going to suck if you think about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest problem I see is that Barry knows everything the Spurs do pretty well. He was here for 4 years, and while his knowledge of the D could be sketchy at times, his execution of the offense was pretty much flawless. He generally makes good decisions with the ball, he's very smart about getting bigmen easy easy baskets, Adelman will love his quick passes, and he knows our offense and every weakness of Parker, Bruce, Manu and Duncan..........and Pop...that's kind of going to suck if you think about.
    Unless the Spurs take the opportunity to shuffle the roster and add a couple young, athletic swingmen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Rockets are just offering the LLE, I've got to believe the Spurs, or some other team, would offer that much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Spurs take the opportunity to shuffle the roster and add a couple young, athletic swingmen.

That's pretty much what they'll have to do.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    All I"m gonna say is. Rockets sure love Spurs players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's ok...Horry and Elie have been pretty damn good to the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They also sure loving never seeing the second round.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    another article from Fox News

"Brent is someone we have always had our eye on," Morey said. "He was our number one choice during the stretch drive last season. He would likely have joined the Rockets if not for Yao's injury."

"Now we are excited to potentially have him join the club and add to the legacy the Barry family has in Houston."

Barry's brother, Jon, and father, Rick, both played for the Rockets.

Brent Barry is a 13 year veteran who has averaged 9.7 points, 3.3 assists, and 3.1 rebounds a game.

Morey will also take a look at free agent forward Robert Horry.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=6.1.1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Rockets are just offering the LLE, I've got to believe the Spurs, or some other team, would offer that much.
    Barry's salary for 2008-09 would be the minimum if he did not opt out. It would not be surprising if he in fact did opt out. If the Rockets want to use half or more of their MLE to sign a 36 year old swingman, fine by me. First round and bust, again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another article from Fox News

"Brent is someone we have always had our eye on," Morey said. "He was our number one choice during the stretch drive last season. He would likely have joined the Rockets if not for Yao's injury."

"Now we are excited to potentially have him join the club and add to the legacy the Barry family has in Houston."

Barry's brother, Jon, and father, Rick, both played for the Rockets.

Brent Barry is a 13 year veteran who has averaged 9.7 points, 3.3 assists, and 3.1 rebounds a game.

Morey will also take a look at free agent forward Robert Horry.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=6.1.1
    So, in other words, it's the exact same story??

Good to know.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So... who is at the office watching and ready to report who the Spurs call when FA comes alive?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    That's ok...Horry and Elie have been pretty damn good to the Spurs
    Ya ya, over the years, the player movement between the Rockets and the Spurs is almost like a commuter shuttle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry's salary for 2008-09 would be the minimum if he did not opt out. It would not be surprising if he in fact did opt out. If the Rockets want to use half or more of their MLE to sign a 36 year old swingman, fine by me. First round and bust, again.
    I'm taking it for granted that Barry opts out. He should. The article said the Rockets are gonna use the LLE. Which is good for their cap, but I doubt they'll pry him loose for that much. If they do, good for them, I guess. They still won't make it out of the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So... who is at the office watching and ready to report who the Spurs call when FA comes alive?
    I was thinking the same thing. I want an inside scoop. Darn CIA pop. He's probably making an encrypted phone call in code.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking it for granted that Barry opts out. He should. The article said the Rockets are gonna use the LLE. Which is good for their cap, but I doubt they'll pry him loose for that much. If they do, good for them, I guess. They still won't make it out of the first round.
    LLE? So Barry gets a pay raise from the Spurs.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Something wierd is up. Morey usually doesn't telegraph potential players like this.

Dwayne Schintzius' mullet Tigole Bitties's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brent deserves the cash -- he's an asset to any team in the league -- one of the best interviews around, and a good character guy off the court.

although, he's probably raking it in on the residuals from his "Jerry Maguire" appearance

Thread Information