San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5864870.html

June 30, 2008, 9:41PM
    Rockets to pursue Spurs guard Barry in free agency
    Landry's return to team in doubt

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets will begin the free agent recruiting period with an 11 p.m. call to Spurs guard Brent Barry, but the team could have already hit a snag in its hopes to bring back forward Carl Landry.

The Rockets will call Barry as quickly as NBA rules allow in an effort to land the free agent that got away during the season when Barry was released by the Seattle SuperSonics but chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs.

Barry, 36, struggled to come back from a calf injury after he was dealt at the trade deadline but made 49.1 percent of his shots and 46.3 percent of his 3s in the postseason. He averaged 7.1 points in 17.9 minutes, making 48.1 percent of his shots, in the regular season, his 12th in the NBA.

If he signs with the Rockets, he would follow his father, Hall of Famer Rick Barry, and brother, Jon Barry, who both finished their careers with the Rockets.

Signing Landry, the Rockets other primary free agent target might be more complicated than another chase of Barry, or even last summer’s sticky and eventually contentious negotiations when Landry was an unsigned second-round pick.

The Rockets have asked Landry to undergo more in-depth testing of his right knee, which was injured during the season, before they extend an offer. Landry, 24, missed seven games with what was termed a sore right knee. He averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in 42 games, making 61.6 percent of his shots.

The Rockets signed Landry just before the start of training camp after a long, often tense negotiation over the amount of money that would be guaranteed in his rookie contract. The Rockets had planned to sign him to a three-year deal using a portion of their mid-level exception, but instead spent they remainder of their exception money to sign Steve Francis.

Landry is a restricted free agent, giving the Rockets the option to match any offer he receives, as long as the contract would work with the salary cap rules. That would limit them to their mid-level exception money, though they clearly hope to split that roughly $5.6 million between Barry and Landry.

“We’re only making an offer if he gets a more detailed examination than imaging,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

Morey did not say that there were specific concerns, only that the team wanted as much information as possible before making an offer.

Landry’s agent, Buddy Baker, did not return messages on Monday.

The Rockets did avoid free agency with their 2006 second-round pick, Steve Novak. They exercised their option to extend Novak’s contract for a third season, worth $797,581. Novak averaged 2.7 points in 79 games in his first two seasons.

“Steve is a valuable asset to the Rockets,” Morey said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't be true. Please.

Just kicking ass and winning Championships!!! VaSpursFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this blows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naturally the Express-News reported this first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we can say he's opted out just yet. I mean don't you think there would've been a more reliable source to notify that he's opted out?

When a Spurs player opts out of his contract, I'd expect there to be an announcement on RealGM or ESPN or MySA, but from the Houston Chronicle? I'm not buying this yet. And I'd expect there to be some quotes from Barry himself. From the way the article says it, it can very well still be just speculation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true I wonder what Barry's reasons for opting out were. Money? After his performance this past playoffs, he should have locked in more minutes with the Spurs. On the flip side, other teams may have offer him more money for that reason.

And what makes the Rockets think they can get him after he turned them down mid-season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf is up wiht these ot rockets always trying to pry away our fukn players and draft picks..... that , and the fukn kent who was from houston who join our Fo, WHO HASNT DONE LATELY SINCE HE JOIN US

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true I wonder what Barry's reasons for opting out were. Money? After his performance this past playoffs, he should have locked in more minutes with the Spurs. On the flip side, other teams may have offer him more money for that reason.

And what makes the Rockets think they can get him after he turned them down mid-season? Money?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN also lists Barry as a free agent ... and not Vaughn. It's quite possible that Barry has opted out at some point in the last week and the Express-News just had no clue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, leave it to a non-San Antonio source to break this news to us. I'm guessing he's opted out, which doesn't surprise me since he'd probably want more money than we signed him for after the trade. I think he will seriously consider going to Houston, and possibly even sign there. If true, could this possibly save us a bit of money to spend on other guys?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN also lists Barry as a free agent ... and not Vaughn. It's quite possible that Barry has opted out at some point in the last week and the Express-News just had no clue.
    well, leave it to a non-San Antonio source to break this news to us.
    Naturally the Express-News reported this first.
    Damn you, Express-News...DAMN YOU!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN also lists Barry as a free agent ... and not Vaughn.
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bad thing is Barry could be tough to re-sign. Sure he's a great piece but he likely won't be priority number one for the Spurs this summer. If someone wines and dines him while the Spurs are out looking for their swingman starter, Barry may decide to end his career elsewhere.

And with as weak as this FA crop is, Barry is actually a very good option for a team not looking to spend their whole MLE but who wants to bring in a wily veteran that can help win ballgames for the next year or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, leave it to a non-San Antonio source to break this news to us. I'm guessing he's opted out, which doesn't surprise me since he'd probably want more money than we signed him for after the trade. I think he will seriously consider going to Houston, and possibly even sign there. If true, could this possibly save us a bit of money to spend on other guys?
    Well, not from a cap perspective, but from a payroll perspective it would. More importantly, it would open up a roster spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't exactly believe it just yet. He doesn't even have Baron Davis listed anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    noooooooooooo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, Mango Tree! What happened to being an SA legend?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bad thing is Barry could be tough to re-sign. Sure he's a great piece but he likely won't be priority number one for the Spurs this summer. If someone wines and dines him while the Spurs are out looking for their swingman starter, Barry may decide to end his career elsewhere.

And with as weak as this FA crop is, Barry is actually a very good option for a team not looking to spend their whole MLE but who wants to bring in a wily veteran that can help win ballgames for the next year or two.

True. I think in past years he would have been made a priority, but with age/health concerns, the Spurs should be looking for their wing player, and by then some other team could offer Barry a bit more than the Spurs could have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think there would be something about this on local SA TV in a few minutes...

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh well. He would probably miss another 4 months due to injury anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you'll notice that page lists the *best* FA available -- the complete ESPN list of free agents includes both Barry and Vaughn - with each having a player option

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008FreeAgents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you'll notice that page lists the *best* FA available -- the complete ESPN list of free agents includes both Barry and Vaughn - with each having a player option

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008FreeAgents
    Maybe he's a FA, maybe he opted not to be a FA and the beat writer is just guessing...

Thread Information