My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs notebook: Add Horry to list of walking wounded
    Web Posted: 02/10/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....91f775e3.html

WASHINGTON — Tim Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic aren't the only Spurs big men on the mend.

Robert Horry has a non-displaced fracture in his right fibula. An MRI revealed the small crack.

Because the bone isn't weight bearing, Horry can continue to play depending on how much pain he can tolerate.

"It's got to heal on its own," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

"He is allowed to play on it, as bad as that sounds, but I'm trying to play him as little as possible so we can have him down the stretch."

Horry initially was hit on his fibular head in the Jan. 24 loss in Portland, then was kicked in the same spot in the next game.

He also suffered a hip pointer on his right side and had his right kneecap knocked out of place — all within the past three weeks. His left leg has fared considerably better.

Horry is wearing a protective sleeve over the upper part of his right leg.

"It's one of those things where it's either going to feel good or not feel good," Horry said. "Rest will always help anything, but it's not a situation where it hurts so bad I need to take some time off."

One finger down: Beno Udrih had some swelling in his left index finger after getting hacked across his shooting hand in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's victory over Charlotte.

X-rays taken of Udrih's hand were negative, but he had to play Wednesday with his index and middle fingers taped together.

The injury didn't keep him from drilling a 3-pointer on his first shot.

Don't hurry, but: Popovich said he doesn't have a deadline for when he wants to hear back from Karl Malone, but the All-Star Game sounds as good as any.

"I think it's a reasonable thought that if it went beyond the All-Star break that would make it difficult to do something," Popovich said. "Karl knows that. He's just wondering if he wants to get back in, whether he has it in his heart and has the juice. He feels pretty good healthwise."

Popovich and forward Tim Duncan met with Malone on Saturday in San Antonio. The following day, Malone told the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise he hoped to make a decision on whether to sign with the Spurs by the end of the week.

"He's doesn't want to disrupt anything," Popovich said. "He doesn't want any drama. He's had enough of that.

"He's just trying to figure out, 'Do I really want to do this?' He wanted to know if we really wanted him and if this is a place he can feel comfortable."

From one champion to another: Malik Rose, a Philadelphia native and lifelong Eagles fan, might not be too happy with the New England Patriots, but Popovich has admired the NFL's newest dynasty from afar.

Popovich compared the Patriots to the Utah Jazz.

"They're always organized," Popovich said of the Jazz. "They always have character, they always have a system they fit people into. They're just class all the time and they're always compe ive. We've tried to use them as an example.

"That's the same kind of organization the New England Patriots are. I respect everything they do."

Popovich said he doesn't know Patriots coach Bill Belichick. But Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has spoken recently to New England officials about establishing a relationship where the two franchises can exchange ideas about how they do business.

Does Denver have a nice art-house theater? Popovich has vowed to make the best of his first All-Star experience.

But that doesn't mean he won't miss going to the West Coast for a little rest and relaxation like he usually does each All-Star break.

"I usually take four or five days, go some place by myself, no family, no friends," Popovich said. "I'll go over what we did well, what we did poorly, what stuff we might add. Just try to become more knowledgeable about our team. And I'll see some independent films, go to some dinners, walk the streets."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll see some independent films, go to some dinners, walk the streets."
    freakin flamin liberal.

Im kidding chill people.

[/QUOTE]
    Popovich said. "He doesn't want any drama. He's had enough of that[QUOTE]

well, I dont know about that being too truthfull there Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens if Malone decides to rest more or retire? do we have another option for a decent center in mind? how about Zo Mourning? he's a good defender, is he eligible or his contract still tied up w/ Toronto? or is he healthy enough to survive 'til playoffs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man pop just loves the Jazz, he's always on about there half-court execution and now this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking as a unknowledgable basketball lover. the 3 guys on the I.R cant really be injured can they.
    i know lj3 underwent surgery so this counts him out. but sato and wilks cant have tendonitis or watever it is can they? and if sato does wouldnt he just be a reserve not an injured one?
    im sure the coach/whoever just makes some kind of injury up.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking as a unknowledgable basketball lover. the 3 guys on the I.R cant really be injured can they.
    i know lj3 underwent surgery so this counts him out. but sato and wilks cant have tendonitis or watever it is can they? and if sato does wouldnt he just be a reserve not an injured one?
    im sure the coach/whoever just makes some kind of injury up.
    It's an open secret that the IR list is mainly a place to stash "reserves" just in case you need them. Sometimes they really are injured, but a fair percentage of the time they're not.

The reason the coach "makes some kind of injury up" is because the IR is supposed to be exactly that...the injured reserve. Unlike football, basketball teams don't have a "practice squad". They have 12 roster players, plus 3 spots for injured reserve. If a player isn't injured, he's not supposed to be on IR. In theory, if there's no room for the player on the team, he's supposed to be released.

No team actually does this. The NBA knows it and for the most part turns a blind eye towards the practice. At least, they do as long as the teams make an effort towards maintaining the fiction. (Hence the coach "makes something up"...but it does have to at least appear plausible)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich said he doesn't know Patriots coach Bill Belichick. But Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has spoken recently to New England officials about establishing a relationship where the two franchises can exchange ideas about how they do business.
    Interesting.

Spurs Fan From India indianspur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens if Malone decides to rest more or retire? do we have another option for a decent center in mind? how about Zo Mourning? he's a good defender, is he eligible or his contract still tied up w/ Toronto? or is he healthy enough to survive 'til playoffs?
    I'm not sure about his contract. But no point of taking another aging injury plagued player. He is not reliable enough anymore.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Malone is waiting to see which team will win more than likely the championship and then join that team right before the deadline........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the NBA deals with the IR is a joke.

They should just call it a reserve list and be done with the hypocrisy.

This is especially interesting since Wesley Person is squawking about being on the IR, and admits he is not injured. Technically, the Heat should be forced to cut somebody, and probably fined.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool thanks for that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmmm. Horry's hurt? I wonder if there's a solid, veteran big available who can hit a jumper and provide some post defense?

freakin flamin liberal.
    By the way, Pop probably is fairly liberal in his political leanings -- he contributed to John Edwards' presidential campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he is lol, thats why I said it but kidding slightly.

Wine conisseour, art houses, John edwards??

He's practically a californian.

Not that theres anything wrong with.

As long as the team stays one of the best in SPORTS, and Keeps winning championships, I could care less what he votes, or is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop is a conservative military man, but leans liberal on some issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said Im not one of those that starts hating someone cause they are a liberal, or loving them cause they are conservative.

Like Tom Brady showing up for the State of the Union. Big Fin deal. Cool that he wants to be involved, but I dont care that he likes Bush.

Dixie Chick's comments angered me, but Im gonna still listen to there music, because, well, they havent made anti president music yet, but when they do, thatll be the end of there music.

BTW, if he was a conservative millitary man, I doubt he supported Edwards and it was his wife that did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the NBA deals with the IR is a joke.

They should just call it a reserve list and be done with the hypocrisy.

This is especially interesting since Wesley Person is squawking about being on the IR, and admits he is not injured. Technically, the Heat should be forced to cut somebody, and probably fined.
    Isn't it handled this way (IR) because of the NBA Players' Assoc.? I prefer the hockey method or even NFL active/inactive approach. The NHL, when they were actually playing games, have a limit for each game and the extra active players are listed as "Healthy Scratch".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Malone is waiting to see which team will win more than likely the championship and then join that team right before the deadline........
    well, there's a rumor he's made up his mind to join Shaq w/ the Heat.

zo is aging but he's a good defender and really wants a le like Malone. If Malone joins Duncan and these two will meet in the Finals it would be exciting of who get his ring first...don't you think so?

Thread Information