My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan close to return: Star's ankle may be OK tonight. If not, Spurs try to adapt.
    Web Posted: 02/11/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....96fdb957.html

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News Staff Writer

NEW YORK — As his teammates warmed up for their game against Washington on Wednesday, Tim Duncan had the misfortune of spending his evening with Spurs strength coach Mike Brungardt on the MCI Center's practice court.

Brungardt's rehab workouts are infamous for their rigor, and Duncan emerged from his session drenched in sweat. But, Spurs officials were happy to report, he survived.

Duncan's right ankle, though not completely healed, has improved enough to possibly allow him to play tonight against New Jersey. He will be re-evaluated at this morning's practice before his availability is determined.

Duncan's teammates promise to welcome him back with open arms when he is ready to return. If he can't play, well, some are OK with that, too.

"It's good for me because I get more minutes," Malik Rose said, laughing. "I love Tim to death, he's my homey, but he needs to rest that ankle."

Playing without Duncan hasn't helped the team's record, as evidenced by the loss in Washington, but the Spurs think the experience could benefit them in other ways.

Duncan's brief absence has allowed Rose to regain some measure of his confidence. Rasho Nesterovic has been more assertive offensively. Coach Gregg Popovich also has used some time to experiment with smaller lineups the team might need in the playoffs should it meet fleet Phoenix or Seattle.

"We know we're going to get 25 and 15 out of Tim every night, especially in the playoffs," Rose said. "If we can learn to better complement him, like moving without the ball when he's not in there, it will serve us better."

Aside from their poor shooting and a few critical offensive rebounds they gave up in the fourth quarter, the Spurs found positive signs in their performance against the Wizards. They defended well and still had an opportunity to win until the final seconds.

"The thing about it is we need to not only have those games without Tim, but to have them be like they were (Wednesday), where it's a close game and execution is needed," Brent Barry said. "It could come down to situations where Tim fouls out, where Tony (Parker) fouls out, where Manu (Ginobili) fouls out and somebody is going to have to step in in those situations and fill that role.

"To have games and opportunities that are close during the regular season is important for all the guys who are out there."

Popovich, while largely pleased with the team's defense, would like to see more improvement in its halfcourt execution.

Against Washington, the Spurs didn't work much to establish a post presence, something that could have been useful given how they struggled with perimeter shooting.

"There weren't many times when we had guys playing with their back to the basket, which is kind of an essential part to our offense, where we set up a triangle on one side to get the ball down inside," Barry said. "It means the ball is penetrating any man-to-man defense and making it collapse.

"It's a learning process to figure out what's going to be effective. That's what Pop is trying to get across to us: We can still execute the system and do some of the things we do. We don't have to go away from those things because certain guys are out."

Though much of what the Spurs do is centered on Duncan, Charlotte coach Bernie Bickerstaff said they have enough talent without him to win 50 games. That's a reach, but Duncan's teammates would like to ensure they could survive for stretches if needed.

"It's not fun sometimes," Barry said. "We don't want to kill ourselves. But the experience we can gain from playing with each other certainly can help down the road."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan close to return: Star's ankle may be OK tonight. If not, Spurs try to adapt.
    Web Posted: 02/11/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....96fdb957.html

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News Staff Writer

"It's good for me because I get more minutes," Malik Rose said, laughing.

..... where it's a close game and execution is needed," Brent Barry said. ."
    yeah, AND IT'S EVEN BETTER IF YOU COULD CONVERT THAT EXTRA MINUTES TO A WIN, MALIK

and;
    ..execution is REALLY NEEDED BARRY, MAKE THOSE 3s esp in the last minutes when we needed it most

Hell Yea I'm A Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, AND IT'S EVEN BETTER IF YOU COULD CONVERT THAT EXTRA MINUTES TO A WIN, MALIK

and;
    ..execution is REALLY NEEDED BARRY, MAKE THOSE 3s esp in the last minutes when we needed it most
    Barry really needs to start making at least half of his shots. Especially when he's open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

and;
    Actually if he makes them early we don't need them towards the end, think about it.
    Last edited by Experiment2100; 02-11-2005 at 02:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually if he makes them early we don't heed them towards the ene, think about it.
    just remembered that last one vs. Wzrds

I'm excited to see Bruce Bowen running after Vince though I'd be interested what VC has to say after the game

I noticed, Express News listed TMass as starter over Malik? Duncan is still questionable.
    Last edited by milkyway21; 02-11-2005 at 03:00 AM.

Thread Information