My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Immediate Release

Senator Barbara Boxer of California will receive a bouquet of almost 5,000 roses from supporters and cons uents across the country on Valentine's Day, February 14th, as a loving thank you for her recent outstanding service in the Senate. Organized by Stacy Davies of Claremont, California, the roses will be delivered February 14th to the Hart Senate Building office of Barbara Boxer in Washington DC. at 3:30 p.m. EST.

The note included with the flowers will read: "Dear Senator Boxer: You are a shining example of what a civil servant can, and should, be, and we, your cons uents and supporters, deeply appreciate your heroic charge to bring accountability, responsibility and honesty back into our government."

Senator Boxer has recently emerged as the leading voice in the fight against the Bush Administration's destructive mandates both abroad and at home. She has disputed the questionable Ohio 2004 election vote, elegantly denied Condoleezza Rice a confirmation vote, and almost single-handedly stood up for the principles of freedom, truth, and accountability we expect from our elected officials. A grand public thank-you is in order

"I was so completely taken with Senator Boxer's candid and eloquent remarks during the Rice conformation hearings--her intelligence and her passion--that I thought it would be wonderful to send her roses on Valentine's Day to show my gra ude," says Davies, a freelance writer and DJ at the Claremont Colleges in Claremont, California. "Coast to Coast Florist (1-888-269-5297) was the first name to pop up on Google. I explained to the company's CEO Art Conforti, that my idea was that people be charged a simple $10 for three red roses that would then be sent, en masse. It didn't take long before he enthusiastically told me he would create the pledge line, set up a toll free number and retrain his reps. After we worked out the final details and I hung up, I was in a daze--it was going to happen!"

"I emailed my friends and all of the liberal web sites I could think of. It was Mike Malloy of Air America Radio who unknowingly provided the next much-needed step in this campaign. The day after receiving my email, he apparently talked about it on the air, with other hosts like Randi Rhodes joining in a few days later."

"In Arizona, a woman named Cynthia Black overheard Mike on the radio that night. Cynthia happens to be a major blogger, with her own diary on DailyKos.com. She posted the story and info, and the emails and phone calls to the florist poured in!"

"Responding to the flood of emails was time-consuming, but I was so grateful for the responses that I answered every one of them. It was important to me that people knew I was just one person, not even an activist, really, who happened to set a wheel in motion. No one backed me, I was with no group or club, and I certainly wasn't a corporation!"

"I received a call from Senator Boxer this past Friday. I told her that the grassroots response had been overwhelmingly positive, that we'd received emails from every state and even a few from abroad. She was gracious and very moved. She said she plans to keep just a few of the roses and will be sending the rest to the VA hospital for the `people who have been casualties of this administration's disastrous policies.' She told me she's looking forward to seeing Secretary Rice again this Thursday and said `Boy, do I have some questions for her!'

If you'd like more information about this wonderful event, please call 562-706-7262 or send an email to StacyDavies aol.com.

--

Happy Valentines Day!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how many poor people the cost of 416+ dozen roses could have fed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy Valentine Day to you too Dan!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supporters to thank Senator Barbara Boxer with 2,400 roses

WASHINGTON Senator Barbara Boxer will receive perhaps the splashiest Valentine's Day gift on Capitol Hill today.

Some 24-hundred roses will be delivered to her office from supporters who contributed to the "Barbara Boxer Rose Campaign."

The idea came from Stacy Davies, a writer from Claremont, California who cheered while watching Boxer challenge Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice during last month's confirmation hearings over the Bush administration's rationale for invading Iraq.

Davies contacted a national online florist which set up a special phone line for the campaign. Then she sent e-mail appeals to several progressive Internet blogs, and got a pitch on Air America, the liberal talk-radio network.

Boxer says she was "very touched." Her office has arranged to transfer the flowers tonight to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland and Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, which treats soldiers wounded in Iraq.

(APcredit: Los Angeles Times)

This article says only 2400 - is the 5,000 number an exaggeration to make it look like she has more supporters? Also, I wonder how "touched" the soldiers will be to get flowers meant for the woman who has openly opposed the war in Iraq and all that the soldiers stand for?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roses are red, Violets are blue.
    You spent how much? Shame on you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy Valentine Day to you too Dan!
    Anybody else wondering how he fits into that tiny bathroom???

Thread Information