Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have it? and if you do, do you recommend it?

I'm looking to install it on a Quad Core 2.83mhz 4gb RAM system, but I'm a little unsure as to the drawbacks of Vista 64bits, which I've heard are substantial. Granted, I haven't read any reviews post-SP1 so any input on that is greatly appreciated.

Plus we could use this thread to share windows OS horror stories, I know you've got them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than native 64 bit drivers, I don't know it should be much of a problem. What are you mostly planning to use that box for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than native 64 bit drivers, I don't know it should be much of a problem. What are you mostly planning to use that box for?
    Media editing (both video and image) and gaming basically.

I've heard about the lack of drivers for 64bit systems, although its been a while already, enough that this shouldn't be a problem, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im currently using it...

i dont think theres a lack of drivers out there....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media editing (both video and image) and gaming basically.

I've heard about the lack of drivers for 64bit systems, although its been a while already, enough that this shouldn't be a problem, right?
    I think so. I checked it early when it was released and it was kind of a pain, but as another posted commented, it's probably not an issue anymore.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have it, it works fine. Vista is annoying with its prompts, but it runs pretty well on my setup, which is a 3.0GHz Dual core intel setup with 4GB RAM and an 8800 GT. No noticeable slowness compared to XP. You have the hardware to run it fine, just gloss over the annoying stuff or get 64 bit XP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have it? and if you do, do you recommend it?

I'm looking to install it on a Quad Core 2.83mhz 4gb RAM system, but I'm a little unsure as to the drawbacks of Vista 64bits, which I've heard are substantial. Granted, I haven't read any reviews post-SP1 so any input on that is greatly appreciated.

Plus we could use this thread to share windows OS horror stories, I know you've got them.
    vista sucks ram up especially the biggest vista of them all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can turn that promt off....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SON OF A !! Turns out I just got my computer, Vista Ultimate 64 bits and all. I'm installing the newest drivers for the nVidia GeForce GTX280 and the damn thing turns black with only the damn cursor to be seen. I figure its nothing, I reboot my computer and after it passes the green bar logging part of Vista, the same black screen with the same white cursor.

It doesn't even let me load on safe mode.

Anybody else have this problem? anybody know how to fix it?

I'm seriously losing all mother ing faith on Microsoft...

Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Fernando TD21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SON OF A !! Turns out I just got my computer, Vista Ultimate 64 bits and all. I'm installing the newest drivers for the nVidia GeForce GTX280 and the damn thing turns black with only the damn cursor to be seen. I figure its nothing, I reboot my computer and after it passes the green bar logging part of Vista, the same black screen with the same white cursor.

It doesn't even let me load on safe mode.

Anybody else have this problem? anybody know how to fix it?

I'm seriously losing all mother ing faith on Microsoft...
    Were you trying to change the refresh rate of your screen? I know that changing that doesn't affect LCD screens, but when I changed that from 60 to 75, my screen went black. I had to use my old CRT screen to be able to see everything again and fix the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were you trying to change the refresh rate of your screen? I know that changing that doesn't affect LCD screens, but when I changed that from 60 to 75, my screen went black. I had to use my old CRT screen to be able to see everything again and fix the problem.
    no, its not that. I know what you're talking about and its not that. the black screen I'm talking about can't even be rid of with safe mode, windows repair, nothing. I dont know what the is wrong, but something is.

Thread Information