GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I have a receiver that has a port for a Digital Fiber Optic input for sounds- currently I have a nice pair of audio cables hooked up for my HD Cable and PS3- if I switched to a Fiber Optic, would I notice a difference? Does anyone have any experience in this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont have one (but planning on getting a setup like that soon), but people I know say there is a difference. I would think sound would be a lot better traveling through light than wire (I.E. fiber VS. cable) let us know if you do, i'd like to know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If nothing else digital cables/connections are capable of transporting more than just two channels of audio (which is what goes through your analogue cable), so the biggest difference should be that you would now have several surround formats at your disposal.

If we are talking just stereo audio and if the current connection is well done, then the difference is really marginal (and barely noticeable). The main advantage with digital is its robustness which means it is easier/cheaper to make a flawless digital connection than an analogue one.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    So I got a Fiber Optic cable and will say that I do notice a difference over using standard audio cables. The one thing I noticed right away was cleaner bass from my sub and the ability to open up new controls on my receiver.

It gets 2 thumbs up from Thunder Dan

Thread Information