GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    other than doing the obvious (buying a new one, or taking it somewhere)- is there anything I can do to save my little buddy? I just got it 2 years ago and take pretty good care of it...here is the deal: I noticed for a couple months that when I plug it into the power socket that it sometimes does not recognize that it has been plugged in. I would jiggle the connection a little in the back of the computer and it would recognize it. Now my battery died and I can't get it to accept power from my wall. Do anyone know if I can just buy the back where the power chord plugs into the computer? It's a HP Pavilion

Someone has to know! thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty common problem for the connection to become loose, there are many people that can fix this, it involves soldering, Craigslist is a good place to find someone who can do it cheap.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Ok cool! I'm just not really into having to buy a new computer...thanks

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    there are websites that fix this if i recall i paid $200 including shipping both ways on a high end laptop with the same problem a few years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's too much to pay, this guy does it for 55.00:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sys/865533671.html

I don't know where the OP is but I'm sure there are similar people in his city...

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had the same thing happen. I found a local guy on craigslist, it was fixed in a few days for around $100, including pick up, delivery, and express shipping for the part. Like PM5K said, it seems to be a common problem that's easily fixed.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, if you live in a decent sized city you should be able to get it fixed locally for $50-100.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm I'm going to be extra careful with plugging in/out my charger now.

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    On laptops you should always charge completely then drain the battery completely while it's unplugged. This will save your battery big time. If you use it while still plugged in most of the time, the battery will more than likely die very fast.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Yeah, if you live in a decent sized city you should be able to get it fixed locally for $50-100.
    I emailed a couple people on craigslist so I should be able to get something

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't know why people on Craig's list use eMails, most of the time the emails don't go through. And most people want to talk to the person they are going to buy something from. I put my phone number in the post, and on the topic subject line itself.
    I found many others started to catch on also.

here is and old Craig s list ad of mine you tell me who gets the business me, or the person you have to e mail..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally don't like calling strangers, I prefer email, but the option is always nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On laptops you should always charge completely then drain the battery completely while it's unplugged. This will save your battery big time. If you use it while still plugged in most of the time, the battery will more than likely die very fast.
    That seems like too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather just buy a new battery at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That seems like too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather just buy a new battery at some point.
    Yeah it's a real pain in the ass to remove the cord at the back, and then plug it back in a few hours later once a month or so.......

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I am with Manny on this one. Those notebooks are made to go from ac to dc and back to ac without skipping a beat. If i have to turn off the motor to my car at each stop light to get that extra 50 miles per gallon each year i rather just pay for the gas.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea I am just to lazy to go through all that unplugging for an extra week of battery life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's a real pain in the ass to remove the cord at the back, and then plug it back in a few hours later once a month or so.......

Once a month? Huh? He was saying you should never run it while plugged in but always drain the battery then recharge it fully then start using it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once a month? Huh? He was saying you should never run it while plugged in but always drain the battery then recharge it fully then start using it again.
    That's not what he said at all..

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Actually I was saying to do it whenever it completely charges, which is a lot more than once a month. It is a pain in the ass and I never did it, which is why I know about it now. It'll save your battery for a good amount of time though. Worth it if you don't wanna keep buying new batteries though.

Thread Information