My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are everyone's opinions on Netbooks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If web browsing and basic office apps are all you need, it's good buy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeh basic stuff is a good buy, it comes with built in webcam, good enough to watch dvds, vids etc...and handy 8hr battery

not good for 3d gaming....

they are better than buyin a portable dvd player imo....

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Last year, I picked up a 2004-ish Toshiba Portege 12 inch tablet on ebay for around $350, and it's specs are pretty similar to what netbooks are at now (1.5gHz, 1Gb RAM, built in wireless G), except it has a GPU, a comparatively smaller HD, is heavier and only gets about 1.5 hours battery life. And this was a $2000 laptop when it first came out.

Netbooks are the ultimate expression of how computers have become a broad consumer product for everyone, and not just pros and tech geeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I've actually been thinking about getting a netbook of some sort. They're great IMO. For work, I need the RAM and LCD's I got with my desktop, but in general a netbook would suit me great. Not that a having a good, powerful laptop wouldn't be awesome, but I'd much rather own a nice desktop and a netbook, than one ridiculously powerful and expensive laptop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like them. Decent specs in a small package. Very useful. Good pricing. I would really like one, but only as a second computer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an acer aspire one. I think it's a great little computer. Netbooks are fantastic for surfing, chatting, email, and some basic computing on the go. My acer fits into a coat pocket. Crazy. Linux runs fast and clean and boot time is sub-20 seconds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm going to get one. The only thing I need my laptop for really are for internet and Word usage. I'm assuming I could load office on one since the specs on most are decent. I really like the prices and the weight too. My 15 inch notebook isn't huge by any standard but when I'm on my bike it can get bersome.

I'm looking at a few - most of them seem to be around 300 bucks or so. Can't beat that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm going to get one. The only thing I need my laptop for really are for internet and Word usage. I'm assuming I could load office on one since the specs on most are decent. I really like the prices and the weight too. My 15 inch notebook isn't huge by any standard but when I'm on my bike it can get bersome.

I'm looking at a few - most of them seem to be around 300 bucks or so. Can't beat that.
    Whatever you do, make sure it has a comfortable keyboard. That's the #1 thing people overlook when buying a small laptop and it can end up making your hands cramped and sore from typing. It's the main reason I bought the Acer, because I tried it out and found that the keyboard, while nowhere near as big as a full-size, is more than adequate. I was able to comfortably achieve ~5-10 wpm off my regular typing speed (90-120 wpm) with it, which is pretty good if you ask me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nosim/msols-20

That just seems like a lot of computer for 300 bucks to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever you do, make sure it has a comfortable keyboard. That's the #1 thing people overlook when buying a small laptop and it can end up making your hands cramped and sore from typing. It's the main reason I bought the Acer, because I tried it out and found that the keyboard, while nowhere near as big as a full-size, is more than adequate. I was able to comfortably achieve ~5-10 wpm off my regular typing speed (90-120 wpm) with it, which is pretty good if you ask me.

Thats really good advice. I'll have to "test drive" a few then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've owned a few (for my son).

Nice little machines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had an Asus, and I didn't think the build quality was that good.

I've also had a Dell Mini and the build quality was considerably better, but the drive space was too limiting.

I wound up going with an Acer Aspire One like Havoc, it's got good build quality and comes with options for either an SSD or a hard drive.

I'd take a look at the 160GB version, it runs about 400.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115512

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be ok as long as you save your weather modeling for the desktop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've had an Asus, and I didn't think the build quality was that good.

I've also had a Dell Mini and the build quality was considerably better, but the drive space was too limiting.

I wound up going with an Acer Aspire One like Havoc, it's got good build quality and comes with options for either an SSD or a hard drive.

I'd take a look at the 160GB version, it runs about 400.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115512
    My last Acer has left a bad taste in my mouth and the Dells are probably nice but they are too expensive for what you get compared to the MSI, Asus, and Acers out there.

http://www.amazon.com/900HA-8-9-Inch...7511246&sr=8-2

This is like the Asus I linked earlier but its got a bigger HD for 30 bucks more. I do like the way the Acers look best of all, but really thats what I care about least by far. I've read some reviews on the Asus models and they've all been really positive, plus they are the easiest to add more RAM too. The Acers are apparently a pain in the ass to upgrade at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've actually been thinking about getting a netbook of some sort. They're great IMO. For work, I need the RAM and LCD's I got with my desktop, but in general a netbook would suit me great. Not that a having a good, powerful laptop wouldn't be awesome, but I'd much rather own a nice desktop and a netbook, than one ridiculously powerful and expensive laptop.
    Agree.

Price-wise, a desktop with decent-good specs plus a netbook would be generally cheaper than a laptop with the same specs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus unless you get a Macbook Air, that can get annoying to lug around. 15 inch laptops aren't TOO bad, but if I only had a laptop I'd want a 17 inch and they are heavy as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, the build quality of the Asus netbooks is pretty poor, or average at best.

I'd never buy one again, the Dell and Acer and considerably better build quality wise, and when it's something you toss into your backpack every day, it needs to be well built....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went ahead and got the ASUS 904HA.

I think the build quality is actually better than I was expecting. The keyboard did take some getting used to but its not bad after maybe 15 minutes of use except for the weird shift key.

My one gripe so far is the touch pad's lack of scrolling on the side. I got really used to that on my acer and on my moms compaq I use sometimes. Otherwise its ing light and small which rocks. Also, the battery time is insane.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Id stay away from Acer, i bought one, the hard drive failed about 20 days after its 1 yr warranty expired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id stay away from Acer, i bought one, the hard drive failed about 20 days after its 1 yr warranty expired.

Please show me a company that doesn't have regular failures in PC products. That kind of comment is so ridiculous. "I got a bad computer... so let's summarily judge the entire company!"

Even Lenovo products fail from time to time. Does that mean we should never buy any product, since it might be faulty?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who made the hard drive?

Some of those components may have a longer warranty period than the computer as a whole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My one gripe so far...
    Don't worry, I've been here for four years, I'll be here in a few weeks when starts to break and you have a lot more than one gripe, just don't say I didn't tell you...

Thread Information