Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    ^I was thinking about going with the classic 120gb ipod. It would have plenty of room for all my cd's and the main thing is I can take it with me in the vehicle, riding the bike, etc.

Or, am I jut over-doing it by wanting to have all my music on one medium? It's just that I'd like to have the option of scrolling through my entire cd collection when deciding what music to listen to.
    Yeah. I mean I bought a player to keep all my music in one place. So there's a benefit to doing so. Although, truthfully, I use smaller player more often except when I go on vacation. I'm sick of all my music and staring at 120 GB and trying to choose what to listen to sucks. It's easier to just put 4 GBs on shuffle, on a player the size of my thumb. Though obviously, there are times when having extra storage is important enough to justify owning it.

And to be honest I make ipods sound like the end of the world, which they aren't. If you don't hate Apple because of their business model and you're just a casual computer user who isn't going to be bothered by having itunes take over your pc and media, it's really not that big a deal to own an ipod. Although personally, I think you could do better elsewhere, they're very solid pieces of hardware.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    appreciate the feedback/info. For me, I'm just sick of having 100's of cds sitting around taking up space, so I thought why not transfer them all on to one device/medium?

I also saw where you mentioned scrolling through songs, is that going to be difficult to do if I put every one of my cds on this thing?

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I also saw where you mentioned scrolling through songs, is that going to be difficult to do if I put every one of my cds on this thing?
    No, ipods scroll fast as . I just meant that I'm somehow sick of 120 GB's of music and when you look at 120 GB's of music you own in one big list and don't want to listen to any of it, it kinda makes you feel bad about your inability to enjoy anything.

As a matter of pragmatics though, you're good to go.

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Nikon camera's drag and drop. My Canon camera's drag and drop. Both of my mp3/video players (Sony, Archos) are drag and drop. My Western Digital external hard drive is drag and drop. My Toshiba and Sandisk flash drives are drag and drop. My Linksys hardware doesn't require Linksys software. Neither does my Actiontec hardware.

All these companies are decent enough to make hardware that's not dependent on unnecessary, invasive, proprietary software, that also doubles as an online store. Apple isn't so decent. And their ads pretty much seem to be nothing more than a constant and insulting accusation that I'm some sort of idiotic dork because I CHOOSE TO USE Windows. Apple.
    Agreed. I find it sad that Apple tries to market itself as the alternative to Microsoft when in reality both corporations sell over-priced, proprietary, and monopolistic hardware/software.

Like you said, if you're a casual user who doesn't care about what/how/why these corporations do what they do, then go with Apple and Microsoft and use their stuff. It just pisses me off when these unethical bas s gobble up smaller business, strips all the code, and incorporates it into their new proprietary standards that they get passed with their massive influence.

Went way off track there.

Drag-n-drop or nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what did you end up doing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an old 4GB IPod Nano. With more than 4GB of music, I switch categories of music in and out on a semi-regular basis, e.g., I have my Xmas music on my IPod now. I'm still on ITunes 7.???. My version of ITunes is working just fine, so I just say no to upgrading.

With 128kbps MP3s, each minute is about 1MB. Estimating at 40 minutes/CD, 700 CDs would take up about 700*40 = 28000 MB, or about 28GB, more with higher-quality MP3s.

Thread Information