Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got a new ipod, i have an old ipod and old itunes on my computer, it wont view/recognize my new one. so i downloaded itunes 8, it stops services during install because i dont have privilleges, I am the administrator, What the i cant spend all day on this

how do i get my itunes to see my new ipod, and/or install itunes 8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont know about la computadora because im not argentinan, and not a digital native
    im a child of divorce give me a break

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont see that error message, do i need to download drivers or what?

should i scrap my old itunes or continue to try and fail to install itunes8?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I bought my Itouch, It asked me if I was adding another Ipod or if it was a replacement. I'm not sure if it did that but hope this helps.

BTW: i picked replacement and I could not DL my old bought songs.. (BAH!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try deleting the Eminem radio hits from your collection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry not compatable, they all got crushed by the no limit tank

Don't drink the Watah! Smackie Chan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send all your tunes to a folder on your HD

then flush out your iPod and install the new software the copy and paste the tunes back in.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    download the new iTunes, right click on it and try "Run as Administrator"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate iTunes, I have not updated my Ipod in a long time because I refuse to put iTunes on my pc, Anyone want to trade for a 80gb Ipod classic for a 80gb or better MP3 player that's not a huge brick and is drag and drop like my old ass mp3 was.

You also get the 10,243 songs on it. I just been using my phone for a mp3 player with it's small 2 gb card but at least it's just drag and drop when it's on my pc. Shows up as a folder and I just copy the songs/folders I want and it shows them as a playlist as they were drop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate iTunes, I have not updated my Ipod in a long time because I refuse to put iTunes on my pc, Anyone want to trade for a 80gb Ipod classic for a 80gb or better MP3 player that's not a huge brick and is drag and drop like my old ass mp3 was.

You also get the 10,243 songs on it. I just been using my phone for a mp3 player with it's small 2 gb card but at least it's just drag and drop when it's on my pc. Shows up as a folder and I just copy the songs/folders I want and it shows them as a playlist as they were drop.
    that sounds pretty stupid.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count

Yeah, all things being equal it seems like Apple makes great and high quality products. It's just a shame that to get them working you have to use proprietary software, connections and file types. I'd equate itunes and quicktime to an infectious disease for PC users and thus, I find Apple entirely worthless. If their products weren't over-priced to begin with and they didn't force proprietary on PC users like the unethical es they are, I and a lot more people would be willing to buy their admirably solid hardware.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that sounds pretty stupid.
    What does? Me wanting to put my music on a mp3 player and not having to used a program to do it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apple

ing arrogant brand

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does? Me wanting to put my music on a mp3 player and not having to used a program to do it?
    yeah. install itunes, only use it to drag and drop songs onto it. Either that or get anapod explorer and avoid iTunes together. Or just sell the damn thing. There are plenty of easy options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can Apple expect you to use Apple software for your Apple hardware?

It's some kind of tyranny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, by the way...

New iPods wont work with older versions of iTunes, so yes, you probably need to download iTunes 8 from http://www.apple.com/itunes/.

If it won't let you install the new iTunes, make sure your old iTunes isn't currently running/open at the time.

If it still won't let you install the new iTunes, then try to uninstall your current version of iTunes by going to your Control Panel, then Add / Remove Programs. Uninstall the three following components from your system:
    iTunes
    Apple Mobile Device Support
    Apple Software Update

Restart your computer, and try to install iTunes 8 again.

If it still won't install, you can try to create a new Admin User and see if it will install through that, but it's not Apple's problem at that point, it's your computer's. I guarantee that software that is on Apple's site will install on thousands of machines, PCs included.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    helpful
    thanks dex

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    try using realplayer instead of itunes....it can also access ur media library on ur ipod

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    How can Apple expect you to use Apple software for your Apple hardware?

It's some kind of tyranny.
    My Nikon camera's drag and drop. My Canon camera's drag and drop. Both of my mp3/video players (Sony, Archos) are drag and drop. My Western Digital external hard drive is drag and drop. My Toshiba and Sandisk flash drives are drag and drop. My Linksys hardware doesn't require Linksys software. Neither does my Actiontec hardware.

All these companies are decent enough to make hardware that's not dependent on unnecessary, invasive, proprietary software, that also doubles as an online store. Apple isn't so decent. And their ads pretty much seem to be nothing more than a constant and insulting accusation that I'm some sort of idiotic dork because I CHOOSE TO USE Windows. Apple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Nikon camera's drag and drop. My Canon camera's drag and drop. Both of my mp3/video players (Sony, Archos) are drag and drop. My Western Digital external hard drive is drag and drop. My Toshiba and Sandisk flash drives are drag and drop. My Linksys hardware doesn't require Linksys software. Neither does my Actiontec hardware.

All these companies are decent enough to make hardware that's not dependent on unnecessary, invasive, proprietary software, that also doubles as an online store. Apple isn't so decent. And their ads pretty much seem to be nothing more than a constant and insulting accusation that I'm some sort of idiotic dork because I CHOOSE TO USE Windows. Apple.
    The majority of the things you described are nothing but external hard drives or an extension thereof. For pretty much all those products, a Mac would support drag and drop functionality as well. And probably wouldn't need to install any drivers to do it.

iPods are not just external hard drives connected to a headset. It's not a router or a modem. With each progression, they are becoming more and more like handheld computers.

Does your Nikon have an operating system that goes beyond a basic menu system?

Do your mp3 players support games and calculators and calenders? Do they play movies and rentals and shows and podcasts?

Do they support GPS? WiFi? Do they support Microsoft Exchange and Cisqo VPN networking?

The reason Apple supports the iPod line through the iTunes software is because the needs of the software on the iPods is constantly changing. Apple releases software updates that fix performance or update iPod functions nearly every month to support its products.

Not to mention the hardware line itself of the iPods is constantly evolving. And instead of people having to about the need to constantly go online and download individual updates, they'll get pissed that they have to use iTunes and keep up with *gasp* automatic updates. It also controls backups and restores for the iPods, and gives the customer a program to configure the device.

Plus if iTunes fails with your iPod, you can actually call Apple and ask them why their software isn't working with their hardware, and they can give you an answer. Good luck getting the same response playing round robin between your computer manufacturer, Microsoft, and the manufacturer of whatever device should decide to act up.

Not to mention that the iTunes software is tailor made to work on ANY current PC or Mac, and is simplistic enough for anybody to figure out if they'd get off their high horse and apply 10 minutes to doing so.

By the way, if you have an iPod and you plug it in, iTunes will automatically open. In the General settings for the iPod (that automatically come up) is an option to Manually Manage Music. Once you do this, you can DRAG AND DROP your music onto your iPod, just like you would on any other device, albeit it in iTunes.

Novel concept, right?
    Last edited by Dex; 12-09-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't use Itunes...

I assume the reason you like it is because of the IStore...but it's not that hard to get songs and there are other programs that organize and transfer your stuff better.

I don't know about the newest IPods but for the IPod I've got a lot of stuff works with it...including WinAmp believe it or not.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a quick question on ipods. I've never bought one and I'm looking to get an Ipod/mp3 player for xmas. I've got about 600-700 cd's worth of music, and that's all I want to use the ipod/mp3 player for, just have a nice compact medium to listen to my music catalog.

Any advice on which product to go with? Apple/ipod, zune, samsung, etc? Information/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Just a quick question on ipods. I've never bought one and I'm looking to get an Ipod/mp3 player for xmas. I've got about 600-700 cd's worth of music, and that's all I want to use the ipod/mp3 player for, just have a nice compact medium to listen to my music catalog.

Any advice on which product to go with? Apple/ipod, zune, samsung, etc? Information/feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Anything with enough memory to store an entire 700 CD catalog is going to end up having a video player, games and bunch of other like that. So unless you want to pay for all those features you don't intend to use, it might be best to just get an external HD that you can load all your music on and then just a smaller music player (like 4 GB's and maybe an SD card) that won't have so much video/web functionality.

My two cents would be not to go with either an ipod or a zune... especially an ipod if you use a pc. Archos is a really good company and has everything from small music players to internet/media tablets, to hundred GB media servers (all drag and drop). I've seen some small Sandisk media players that were cool. You can Bose it up if you're a richer and want a real cool looking player.
    http://www.archos.com/home.html?country=global&lang=en
    Last edited by balli; 12-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^I was thinking about going with the classic 120gb ipod. It would have plenty of room for all my cd's and the main thing is I can take it with me in the vehicle, riding the bike, etc.

Or, am I jut over-doing it by wanting to have all my music on one medium? It's just that I'd like to have the option of scrolling through my entire cd collection when deciding what music to listen to.

Thread Information