My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Usually whenever you turn off the computer improperly or something, the active desktop recovery background comes up. But on mine, it refuses to go away. I've gone to properties and picked my background again, but after a few minutes the active desktop recovery background shows up again by itself.

After some research I thought this would help me out but it didn't.

Any other advice?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would try doing a system restore to an earlier date.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I'm assuming you've already done a bunch of basic stuff and I wouldn't know where to direct you further. I'd only say that assuming you have some external storage, re-installing your OS is relatively easy and is a sure fire fix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would try doing a system restore to an earlier date.
    My system restore doesn't work either. I've tried three different dates and it finished as incomplete. How would I fix that?
    Last edited by Mr.Bottomtooth; 12-07-2008 at 08:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm assuming you've already done a bunch of basic stuff and I wouldn't know where to direct you further. I'd only say that assuming you have some external storage, re-installing your OS is relatively easy and is a sure fire fix.
    How do you do that?

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    Are you using Vista? Do you have the install disk? This is really a last resort, but it should be pretty easy. Easy enough that I don't even around with anti-virus anymore, I just keep all my data and drivers backed up and I just re-install my OS as much as possible. Several times a year. Ain't no registry cleaner/anti-virus scanner going to beat doing that .

However, don't do it unless you have a driver disc that came with your computer.
    Tracking down drivers is a , but if you have them already I'd say go for it. If you really want to do this, back up all your data and programs onto an external hard-drive or some DVD's. Then re-start your computer and hit F2 to load the boot menu. Somewhere in the boot menu is a load priority menu where you can tell your computer whether to run from the HDD, DVD Drive, Flash Drive, etc, when it starts up. It will be set to boot from the hard drive first. Change the values so that your computer boots from it's DVD/CD drive rather than the HDD. Make sure your disc drive is empty. Exit the boot menu.

Your computer will start up, check for a disc in the DVD drive, won't find one and will boot normally from the hard drive. Log in, insert your vista or XP install disc and close any subsequent disc menus that come up. Do nothing with the disc and don't install yet. Now that the install disc is sitting idly in the drive, you should restart... and your computer will start the install disc automatically.
    The installation is pretty straight forward with questions about language, time zones, user accounts, etc. Just answer the questions and you'll be fine.

The most important decision you'll make will have to do with setting up your hard drive par ions and files system. You'll have to choose between fat 32 and NTFS. Vista may only allow NTFS by default, not sure. This link explains them better http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...october01.mspx Though NTFS is probably best.

Right before you choose NTFS or FAT 32, you'll have an option to completely erase your hard disc and the current OS installation. If all your data is backed up, this is the route to go. Start clean.

After it's installed be sure to start up the boot menu again with F2 and change abck the priority of the hard disc, so that you computer checks it first upon start up.

If you want to avoid the boot menu just run the install disc from your OS and you should be fine, but I prefer to boot the disc by itself simply because that's how I've always done it.

Here's some probably better instructions for a clean install:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_in...windows_xp.htm
    Last edited by balli; 12-07-2008 at 10:44 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Go to your desktop settings and click none as wallpaper.

or you can go to control panel and create a new user and log on to that user and get back to me if it worked.

or

download this and unchecked any box that you don't want running.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any updates on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got it fixed, thanks.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count