Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn, this cat can really bounce

In any case, I still believe we are not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. We migt have some more upside, but I have a feeling we will test the lows in the Dow and the S&P in the coming months . . .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn, this cat can really bounce

In any case, I still believe we are not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. We migt have some more upside, but I have a feeling we will test the lows in the Dow and the S&P in the coming months . . .
    You realize that Obama just announced today that he is throwing ANOTHER TRILLION TAX DOLLARS towards buying bad bank assets? On top of all the OTHER TRILLIONS he has already announced? yeah bank stocks went up.

This is absolute ing insanity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. putting out the fire because we'll go thirsty tomorrow. We should just burn today.

K.

(for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the plan today, but CC acting as though this is new money when everyone and their mother knew something of this sort was coming is laughable.)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    And yeah - this dead cat is really bouncing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. putting out the fire because we'll go thirsty tomorrow. We should just burn today.

K.

(for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the plan today, but CC acting as though this is new money when everyone and their mother knew something of this sort was coming is laughable.)
    Damn Manny...Obama could rape your sister and you would tell her it was her fault for dressing ty.

Over stimulating the economy to be popular and look like "you care" and are "doing something" is not worth destroying the US currency and the "full faith and credit" of the Federal government.

The whole city burns down then, not just the random house.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    he's trying to avoid gigantic amounts of unemployment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Damn Manny...Obama could rape your sister and you would tell her it was her fault for dressing ty.

Over stimulating the economy to be popular and look like "you care" and are "doing something" is not worth destroying the US currency and the "full faith and credit" of the Federal government.

The whole city burns down then, not just the random house.
    Sure dude, inflation is the biggest worry right now. Sure dude. Dead cat bounce, inflation, anymore words of wisdom?

And @ destroying US currency. ZOMG MY DOLLAR IS WORTHLESS.

You know, when you make statements like this it just makes you look stupid when it doesn't pan out. Even the biggest critics of what is being done right now don't say like "he's destroying the US currency" because its so out of touch with reality. Good job bud.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    but i thought the daily tracking of the dow was the smell test of how good the president is?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Oh and for the record, I wasn't defending Obama CC. I was pointing out how stupid YOU were being. I think the plan - whether it works or not - is a ridiculous ing way of making rich people richer while the taxpayer is the one in the line of fire. But to act as if inflation is what we're worried about at the moment is ing re ed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    if the plan works, then both sides make money and unemployment won't s shock the country.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    if the plan works, then both sides make money and unemployment won't s shock the country.
    what fkn plan are you talkin about? all USAG and obama is doing printing more money and pouring it onto the stock exchange...

let me tell you something your currency value is worth nothing if obama continues to print money without gold reserves to back that up....US currency will not be a trade commodity in the future since alot of euro/arab countries will start dumping US Currency for trade and switch to the euro.

Name
    Adam Rabel
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    all i know is that this must be a dead cat from some other universe. No dead cat from this universe would bounce like this.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    what fkn plan are you talkin about? all USAG and obama is doing printing more money and pouring it onto the stock exchange...

let me tell you something your currency value is worth nothing if obama continues to print money without gold reserves to back that up....US currency will not be a trade commodity in the future since alot of euro/arab countries will start dumping US Currency for trade and switch to the euro.
    When did the US go back to backing our money with gold?

BTW, the US backs printing it money with HOPE - the Obama campaign liturgy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What is the alternative to pouring money into the credit markets to thaw them (aside from destroying the financial industry by letting every major bank fail, and going back to bartering as the prefered means for commerce)?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What is the alternative to pouring money into the credit markets to thaw them (aside from destroying the financial industry by letting every major bank fail, and going back to bartering as the prefered means for commerce)?
    you know where the money is if you want credit, but cant access it....or wont lend it to the banks cause they d it up for everyone....401K and superfunds, they have alot of money but doing nothing atm....then again trustees have too look out for its members.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    thats kinda the point. make this money accessible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Optomistic but Realistic MrChug's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rebounded today...closed well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Air Force Falcons

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you know where the money is if you want credit, but cant access it....or wont lend it to the banks cause they d it up for everyone....401K and superfunds, they have alot of money but doing nothing atm....then again trustees have too look out for its members.
    You might as well have written "mumble . . . mumble . . . mumble".

It would've been the same . . .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...sUo&refer=home

Roubini Says Stocks Will Drop as Banks Go ‘Belly Up’ (Update1)

By Michael Patterson and Simon Kennedy

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks will fall and the government will nationalize more banks as the economy contracts through the end of 2009, said Nouriel Roubini, the New York University professor who predicted last year’s economic crisis.

“The stock market is a bit ahead of the real macroeconomic and financial news,” Roubini, a professor at NYU’s Stern School of Business and the chairman of consulting firm Roubini Global Economics, said in an interview with Bloomberg Television in London today. “We’ll have some major banks going belly up that will need to be taken over.”

The global equity rebound in March that sent the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index to its best monthly advance in 17 years is a “bear-market rally” (or dead cat Bounce, as CC put it) and U.S. Treasury yields will “remain relatively low” as investors flock to the safest assets, Roubini said. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner’s new plan to remove toxic debt from financial companies won’t be enough for insolvent banks, he said.

Roubini’s outlook contrasts with predictions this week from Templeton Asset Management Ltd.’s Mark Mobius and Traxis Partners LLC’s Barton Biggs, who said that equities are poised to rally as government efforts to revive the economy and banking system begin to work (who should I believe, Mobius or Roubini? . . . I think I'm going with the professor) . Investors are “way too optimistic” about the prospects for a recovery in the economy and earnings, Roubini said.

The S&P 500 surged 7.1 percent on March 23 after Geithner unveiled a plan to finance as much as $1 trillion in purchases of illiquid real-estate assets, using $75 billion to $100 billion of the Treasury’s remaining bank-rescue funds. The government is conducting stress tests of banks to determine how much more capital each will need.

Stress Tests

Roubini said the stress tests will reveal that some banks need to be taken over and have their good and bad assets separated before being sold to the private sector. He estimates loan and securities losses in the U.S. will reach $3.6 trillion.

Critics of Geithner’s plan including Nobel laureate Paul Krugman, a professor at Princeton University, say the government should take over banks loaded with devalued assets, remove their top management, and dispose of the toxic securities. Sweden adopted the temporary nationalization approach in the 1990s.

“Some banks are going to have to be nationalized,” said Roubini. “It’s going to be bumpy ahead of us.”

Geithner and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke this week called for new powers to take over and wind down failing financial companies. They said the U.S. also needs stronger regulation to constrain the risks taken by firms that could endanger the financial system.

‘Deflationary Forces’

With “deflationary forces” lingering for as long as three years, Roubini said U.S. government bond yields will remain low and American house prices will fall as much as 20 percent in the next 18 months. While the dollar will initially benefit as investors seek a safe haven in the U.S., the currency will ultimately drop as the country’s trade deficit shrinks, he said.

Mobius, who helps oversee about $20 billion of emerging- market assets as executive chairman at San Mateo, California- based Templeton, said March 23 the next “bull-market” rally has begun. Biggs, the former chief global strategist for Morgan Stanley who now runs New York-based hedge fund Traxis Partners, predicted the same day the S&P 500 may jump between 30 percent and 50 percent.

The benchmark index for U.S. equities has surged 11 percent in March, poised for its biggest monthly gain since 1991. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index of equities in 23 developing nations is headed for the steepest monthly advance on record after rising 20 percent in March.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the banks

when the economy was booming they had good rates for deposits, and even during the recession rates were still about 7-8% for deposits, online accounts were 5%.....
    now they are trying to get ppl to spend the money instead of saving it, so they lowered the rates to 1.5%-3% for most deposits in my country...

i aint spending any money to bail out any kent whose not spending money that trickles down in my field....

Frumious Bandersnatch RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Wall Street rebounds on last day of the quarter

NEW YORK – Wall Street ended a tumultuous March on a high note, managing its first winning month this year and its best monthly performance in nearly seven years.

Stocks finished off their earlier highs on Tuesday but resumed a three-week rally that has brought the Dow Jones industrials up a total of 16 percent since hitting their lowest level in 12 years on March 9.

The Dow rose 7.7 percent overall in March, its biggest monthly gain since October 2002.

Technology and financial shares led the rally as large investors loaded up on rising stocks in order to report strong holdings at the end of the first quarter, which ended on Tuesday.

Investors shrugged off lackluster economic data and snatched up some of the biggest names in technology and banking including Google Inc., International Business Machines Corp., Bank of America Corp. and Citigroup Inc.

The market is coming off a two-day pullback as stocks took a breather from a recent surge driven by optimism that U.S. banks may be emerging from the worst of a lending crisis.

The government finally delivered details last week of its plans to take failed loans off the books of struggling banks and leaders of several large banks have said they did well in January and February.

Financial services companies are likely to get another dose of good news later this week. The Financial Accounting Standards Board is widely expected to ease accounting rules that require companies to list their assets at current market values.

Banks have had to take massive write-downs over the past two years as the value of mortgage-backed securities and other investments has withered. Banks say a softening of the "mark-to-market" rules would help their bottom lines.

Keith Wirtz, president and chief investment officer at Fifth Third Asset Management in Cincinnati, said the gain in bank stocks on Tuesday was likely boosted by some short-covering in anticipation of a resolution on the rules, as traders don't want to miss out on a possible rally in financials later this week. Short covering, or the buying of stocks to cover bets that stocks would fall, has played a large role in the surge in bank stocks over the past few weeks.

According to preliminary calculations, the Dow Jones industrial average rose 86.90, or 1.2 percent, to 7,608.92, after earlier rising as much as 203 points. The Standard & Poor's 500 index gained 10.34, or 1.3 percent, to 797.87, while the technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index rose 26.79, or 1.8 percent, to 1,528.59.

The Dow, which broke a string of six monthly declines, is still down 13.3 percent for the year. The S&P 500 is down 11.7 percent, and the Nasdaq is down 3.1 percent.

In other trading Tuesday, the Russell 2000 index of smaller companies rose 6.78, or 1.6 percent, to 422.75.

Advancing issues outnumbered decliners by more than 3 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange, where volume came to 1.64 billion shares.

The advance on Tuesday was also supported by "window dressing" buying as large investors not wanting to end the quarter with large amounts of cash loaded up on stocks they think have good prospects.

"Technology, of all the S&P sectors, is the only one that is up on the year," said Craig Peckham, an analyst at Jefferies & Co. "If you're going to try to window dress anywhere on the last day of the quarter, technology is a good place to start."

Technology shares got a lift Tuesday from a deal between The Walt Disney Co. and Google that will allow Google's video site YouTube to show short-form videos from Disney's ABC and ESPN networks. Disney shares rose 31 cents to $18.64, while Google gained $5.37 to $348.06...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/...re/wall_street

Frumious Bandersnatch RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...sUo&refer=home

Roubini Says Stocks Will Drop as Banks Go ‘Belly Up’ (Update1)

By Michael Patterson and Simon Kennedy

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks will fall and the government will nationalize more banks as the economy contracts through the end of 2009, said Nouriel Roubini, the New York University professor who predicted last year’s economic crisis.

“The stock market is a bit ahead of the real macroeconomic and financial news,” Roubini, a professor at NYU’s Stern School of Business and the chairman of consulting firm Roubini Global Economics, said in an interview with Bloomberg Television in London today. “We’ll have some major banks going belly up that will need to be taken over.”

The global equity rebound in March that sent the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index to its best monthly advance in 17 years is a “bear-market rally” (or dead cat Bounce, as CC put it) and U.S. Treasury yields will “remain relatively low” as investors flock to the safest assets, Roubini said. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner’s new plan to remove toxic debt from financial companies won’t be enough for insolvent banks, he said.

Roubini’s outlook contrasts with predictions this week from Templeton Asset Management Ltd.’s Mark Mobius and Traxis Partners LLC’s Barton Biggs, who said that equities are poised to rally as government efforts to revive the economy and banking system begin to work (who should I believe, Mobius or Roubini? . . . I think I'm going with the professor) . Investors are “way too optimistic” about the prospects for a recovery in the economy and earnings, Roubini said. .
    The good professor may have predicted the initial nastiness, but don't think anyone truly has much of an idea how this will pan out 2 years down the road.

Personally, I think equities have been a bit oversold. Yeah, the economy is sucking wind, and probably will for a year or so, but there are still companies making profits, and still companies slogging on.

My gut says the professor is right that there are still things left to happen as the asset collapse unfolds, but it will not be a complete, Mad-Max meltdown.

Not that I wouldn't want to own the stock of bullet and gun manufacturers in the meantime.. heh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The good professor may have predicted the initial nastiness, but don't think anyone truly has much of an idea how this will pan out 2 years down the road.

Personally, I think equities have been a bit oversold. Yeah, the economy is sucking wind, and probably will for a year or so, but there are still companies making profits, and still companies slogging on.

My gut says the professor is right that there are still things left to happen as the asset collapse unfolds, but it will not be a complete, Mad-Max meltdown.

Not that I wouldn't want to own the stock of bullet and gun manufacturers in the meantime.. heh.
    Obama has been very very good to gun and ammo manufacturers as people stocked up and emptied the shelves, but it hasn't been reflected in stock prices...everyone is still ultimately expecting draconian gun restrictions to come out of this administration despite the recent decision to delay going after the new assault weapon ban..

Thread Information