Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Keep investing according to your politics. Please.
    Don't discount it, if a repub wins in 2024 im hammering private prison and fossil fuels

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah you have to look at the data and historical trends not politics, but the Trump stimulus was obviously to try to get him re-elected when naturally the economy was going to fall to the bottom of the standard sinusoidal trough as it naturally should which was probably bad for Trump's re-election chances but healthy for the economy in the long term. Instead, these stimuluses (stimuli?) are going to guarantee an even worse recession in the near future. The stimuli just kicking the can down the curb, you can't simply remove that can.
    What mechanism do you see as being the impetus of that "worse recession"?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't discount it, if a repub wins in 2024 im hammering private prison and fossil fuels
    (nods)Probably would make some money betting on Republican corruption.

respectfully:
    Not sure I would feel comfortable doing so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Weird time with the the market. Lot of new investors not used to losses and extended periods time of losses. They may give up trading or ease up on the fomo plays.

The Amazon of Africa (jumia) still looks like a great long term play imo
    Yup. Fun thing about investing in Africa is so many racist -heads still have vastly outmoded and shaded views of the continent and would never consider investing there, meaning more money for those who do.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Yup. Fun thing about investing in Africa is so many racist -heads still have vastly outmoded and shaded views of the continent and would never consider investing there, meaning more money for those who do.
    It's just that the vast majority of it is uninhabitable or uncivilizable. Either due to being part of an enormous desert, deep tropical jungle, and overall inhospitable climate for realistic habitat for humanity. There are a few nice oases like as I described before, but the nicer Far North part of Africa is completely Islamic which, other than oil, makes a lot of stuff problematic; and then you have South Africa which is developing but it'll never be better than say Australia.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    What mechanism do you see as being the impetus of that "worse recession"?
    Economic cycle is just that, a cycle. What Donald Dump did, and Lyin' Biden is doing now, is continue with reckless expansionary policy instead of naturally allowing the standard 8-12 year (crest-to-crest) cycle to hit its normal trough... Newton's 3rd law, what goes up must come down, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In order to balance out this expansionary policy there will be a greater, perhaps longer and/or deeper recession that was naturally occurring a year ago even prior to the pandemic and that Mr. Dump completely ed with the wrong way with the spring 2020 stimulus crap. Also the fed needs to get rid of ZIRP and it needs to be federally outlawed. Cons utional amendment setting the Fed interest rate floor at 3%, anything to curb this horrendous period of irresponsible borrowing and nell-pell expansionary policy. Also along with more normal interest rates, set a law requiring minimum 20% down payment on any type of mortgage, to help stabilize the housing market.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Economic cycle is just that, a cycle. What Donald Dump did, and Lyin' Biden is doing now, is continue with reckless expansionary policy instead of naturally allowing the standard 8-12 year (crest-to-crest) cycle to hit its normal trough... Newton's 3rd law, what goes up must come down, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In order to balance out this expansionary policy there will be a greater, perhaps longer and/or deeper recession that was naturally occurring a year ago even prior to the pandemic and that Mr. Dump completely ed with the wrong way with the spring 2020 stimulus crap. Also the fed needs to get rid of ZIRP and it needs to be federally outlawed. Cons utional amendment setting the Fed interest rate floor at 3%, anything to curb this horrendous period of irresponsible borrowing and nell-pell expansionary policy. Also along with more normal interest rates, set a law requiring minimum 20% down payment on any type of mortgage, to help stabilize the housing market.
    Not even sure where to start.

1. "reckless expansionary policy". Reckless assumes that it is with disregard for some bit of information, not really evidenced here. Neither is expansionary policy really well defined.

2. There is no "natural" "standard 8-12 year cycle". One of the largest mistakes anyone can make is the "same as last time" assumption. Buried in this belief is that because something happened in the past, it must happen again, because no underlying cir stances could have changed.

3. Newtons 3rd law is irrelevant, and totally mis-applied here.

4. We just had a recession. GDP growth was (checks up) -3.5% in 2020.

ZIRP is just fine when you have low growth, which we have. In some cases the markets have pushed that even further, sometimes into the outright negative territory. Outlawing it would simply reduce the tools available to policymakers, and therefore assumes that there could never be a situation that the costs would outweigh the benefits.

Poorly defined terms, misapplications of concepts, and just bad reasoning.

You aren't really making much of a case for your desired policy.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not even sure where to start.

1. "reckless expansionary policy". Reckless assumes that it is with disregard for some bit of information, not really evidenced here. Neither is expansionary policy really well defined.

2. There is no "natural" "standard 8-12 year cycle". One of the largest mistakes anyone can make is the "same as last time" assumption. Buried in this belief is that because something happened in the past, it must happen again, because no underlying cir stances could have changed.

3. Newtons 3rd law is irrelevant, and totally mis-applied here.

4. We just had a recession. GDP growth was (checks up) -3.5% in 2020.

ZIRP is just fine when you have low growth, which we have. In some cases the markets have pushed that even further, sometimes into the outright negative territory. Outlawing it would simply reduce the tools available to policymakers, and therefore assumes that there could never be a situation that the costs would outweigh the benefits.

Poorly defined terms, misapplications of concepts, and just bad reasoning.

You aren't really making much of a case for your desired policy.
    Responsible buyers (not the 95-96.5% borrowers) haven't had a chance to buy a house for a fair price in over 5 years. The 8-11 year cycle is not just one or two cycles, it's been in place for about a hundred years with the exception of the Great Depression era. The YOY 2019-2020 GDP going down 3.5% is too low of a decline compared to past "recessions", especially considering COVID. The problem was the federal government with their stimulus spending crap all year last year and being so bent on a stupid "V shaped recovery" when the natural recovery is a smooth amplitude or sinusoidal type graph

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Responsible buyers (not the 95-96.5% borrowers) haven't had a chance to buy a house for a fair price in over 5 years. The 8-11 year cycle is not just one or two cycles, it's been in place for about a hundred years with the exception of the Great Depression era. The YOY 2019-2020 GDP going down 3.5% is too low of a decline compared to past "recessions", especially considering COVID. The problem was the federal government with their stimulus spending crap all year last year and being so bent on a stupid "V shaped recovery" when the natural recovery is a smooth amplitude or sinusoidal type graph

I know what a sine wave is.

I also know that economic growth since the great recession has been muted historically.

This suggests a flattening of the wave, does it not?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Growth preceding every single cycle you have noted, prior to 2009 was generally 4-7%

How does growth since 2009 compare to the average growth that precede every other downturn?

Put some maths into it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's just that the vast majority of it is uninhabitable or uncivilizable. Either due to being part of an enormous desert, deep tropical jungle, and overall inhospitable climate for realistic habitat for humanity. There are a few nice oases like as I described before, but the nicer Far North part of Africa is completely Islamic which, other than oil, makes a lot of stuff problematic; and then you have South Africa which is developing but it'll never be better than say Australia.
    Yeah, Africa is cursed by geography. The African growth story comes to an end once the era of cheap global capital comes to an end. That starts around the middle of this decade imo. Maybe sooner due to covid.

South Africa will probably do "okay" tho

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Yeah, Africa is cursed by geography. The African growth story comes to an end once the era of cheap global capital comes to an end. That starts around the middle of this decade imo. Maybe sooner due to covid.

South Africa will probably do "okay" tho
    Agreed. Cursed by geography, severe intense hot and/or humid climate (think: an insanely hot/humid/sultry day/night in Florida or Houston is their average winter weather), tropical disease, and societal issues.

Kenya has a couple bright spots due to the mountains providing a decent climate there, including in capital Nairobi. Ethopia as bad as it's been has a couple nice spots as well, including its capital, Addis Ababa, thanks once again to the subtropical highland climate. Just don't try going there in mid summer because it's a constant deluge... from people I have met from those locations.

Nigeria will always be the African version of Jamaica... another British slave colony left behind... tropical and somewhat touristy but ridden with crime and poverty beneath the surface. And the northern half of Nigeria will always be bad because, well, Islam. The countries around it are all impoverished, bad, diseased, hot and humid, and full of drugs and crime. The Sahara is completely lifeless and uninhabitable. In the central and southern parts you have insane poverty tropical jungles, ebola-ridden forests, safari lands, wild savage humans, people living in huts, bartering and crime, crime crime. But nobody to police them. Finally when you get far south near South Africa and Namibia you finally find organized civilization and reasonable climate again, at the very bottom of the continent.

It's just not a conducive geography to long term human prosperity. The Mediterranean parts of Africa are unfortunately ruled by Islam.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Someone's boutta louse big money on gamestop stock.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Crypto skyrocketing after the Coinbase news

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I keep seeing this thread pop up and getting hopeful and then getting pissed off when i see the dow jones is still in the 33,xxx instead of sub-20000 where it's supposed to be during a "recession" tbh.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    stimulus, it just made wall street and the big banks and investment firms richer and made the general public poorer. The dow jones needs to tank.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Wow Dogecoin

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Nah, just wait until the globalist jewish/zionist nwo bans all the private sector cryptocurrency and establishes a global publicly regulated crypto currency that is universally tracked by the UN internal revenue service, fully electronic/no cash, so there is no possibility for money laundering or tucking away money since all that paper cash in that money bag is now worthless. Also real estate property is all fully owned by the UN and no individuals own any property they just are placed there by the global government.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not financial advice but I like MARA and RIOT. Bitcoin on its way to 100k

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People making life changing money off a meme.

Doge coin to the moon

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    People making life changing money off a meme.

Doge coin to the moon
    Yes indeed. Bought in February at .08, then it stalled for a couple months and thought the joke was up. Glad I held on to it.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Yes indeed. Bought in February at .08, then it stalled for a couple months and thought the joke was up. Glad I held on to it.
    you think those are inflation proof against the coming biden era stagflation in the next couple years? just ask old Jimmy Carter, stimuli and beating out a one term president have consequences... namely becoming one yourself. I foresee a Carter/Reagan scenario in '24

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    How'd you get it? It's not offered on Coinbase and I'm leery of some other sites

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    How'd you get it? It's not offered on Coinbase and I'm leery of some other sites
    I bought it on RobinHood. It's also available on Voyager. It actually just took a dip so now might be the time to buy.

Thread Information