Post Count
    Redskins deal Coles to Jets for Moss
    By ANDREA ADELSON, AP Sports Writer
    March 5, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Laveranues Coles finally got his wish. The disgruntled Redskins receiver is headed back to the New York Jets after asking out of Washington.

Coles was traded Saturday for the speedy Santana Moss, a deal that was in the works for over a week. Moss' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said in a phone interview the deal was contingent on both players passing physicals. Moss had his physical scheduled for Monday at Redskins Park.

A source within the league, speaking to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, also said Coles got the restructured deal he wanted, which held up the trade. But the Redskins are responsible for the final $5 million of the $13 million signing bonus he got when he joined the team in 2003.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Coles is due that money April 1. The Redskins, anticipating they would be stuck making the payment, restructured the contract of left tackle Chris Samuels so they could afford it. A message left for Coles' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, was not immediately returned.

Coles met with coach Joe Gibbs twice after the season to state his desire to leave the Redskins, following an unsatisfying year in the team's conservative offense.

He had 90 catches for 950 yards for a career-low 10.6 yards a catch and only one touchdown in the Redskins' 6-10 season. The year before, under pass-oriented coach Steve Spurrier, Coles had 82 receptions for 1,204 yards and six touchdowns.

The 5-foot-11, 193-pound Coles emerged as a top receiver with the Jets in 2002, quickly becoming a favorite target of Chad Pennington. He had 89 catches for 1,264 yards and six touchdowns, and commanded big money on the open market.

Though he was given assurances he would be re-signed, the Jets failed to match the Redskins' seven-year, $35 million offer. Coles, who was drafted by the Jets in the third round in 2000, was critical of coach Herman Edwards after he left, though it appears the organization is willing to look past that.

Last week at the combine, Edwards said, ``I never take that personally. It's part of the process.''

As for the 5-10, 185-pound Moss, the game-breaking receiver had a big year in 2003, with 74 catches for 1,105 yards and 10 touchdowns. But his productivity slipped in 2004, when he had 45 catches for 838 yards and five touchdowns while battling through a sore hamstring.

He also was critical of his role in the Jets' conservative offense, and said in December, ``I am coming out there furious sometimes because I think every time I get out there I can beat somebody. But if I don't get the ball, what can I do?''

The Redskins showed interest in Moss during the 2001 draft, but chose Rod Gardner with the 15th selection instead. Moss went to the Jets with the next pick. He won't get the chance to play with Gardner, who was granted a request to seek a trade in January.

Moss is entering the final year of his contract, and Rosenhaus expects to have the receiver signed to a new deal shortly after the trade is completed.

``He's very pleased,'' Rosenhaus said. ``It's not because he wanted to leave New York, but Washington offers him some great opportunities. He's going to be a focal point of their offense. I anticipate that we'll be able to work out a very lucrative extension for him.''

The departure of Coles means the Redskins will have two new starting receivers when the season beings. Coles and Gardner accounted for a combined 141 catches and 1,600 yards for the Redskins last season, but both were disenchanted with an offense that produced few big plays downfield and ranked 30th overall.

Moss will pair up with David Patten, another big-play receiver who signed a five-year, $13 million contract with a $3.5 million signing bonus earlier this week as a free agent from New England.

One area of concern for the Jets could be a chronic toe injury that has plagued Coles the last two seasons. The Redskins wanted him to have surgery, but Coles was reluctant to undergo any procedure. If he is healthy, Coles provides the Jets with a solid offensive option under new coordinator Mike Heimerdinger to go with Justin McCareins -- provided Pennington is fully recovered from rotator cuff surgery.

AP Sports Writer Joseph White contributed to this report in Ashburn, Va

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    I'd have to think this is a good trade for the Jets since they know each player and should know which is better. The only wild card to this trade is Coles' toe injury.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    I don't think they should have given up Santana Moss though..he is a good receiver. They should have traded somebody else.

Post Count
    cole wanted out of washington I think they could have gotten him for a lesser reciever
    it was a nice save for skins

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    I still think the Jets made a mistake....Moss, Coles, McCareins, and Chrebet would make a great WR core.

Post Count
    I've been a huge Canes fan for years and I have followed Santana since he was in high school and college. He is a real good person and an incredible talent but he is NOT going to be the type of go to receiver that can take over a game for a team. It's not that he does not have the toughness or drive but he is limited physically and is not much of a blocker in the running game. If the Skins can find themselves another go to guy then Moss will be that much more dangerous in that offense because he can be moved around and provide them with all kinds of options. I think both teams make out.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Moss is even less of a fit in Gibb's Offense than Coles. Roy Williams scared Coles out of going over the middle - I don't see tiny little Moss being up to the challenge.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    moss will be sent deep.

i don't like this trade, but it's only because of salary cap reasons....the skins had to take a uva cap hit to get this done, and it's all because Danny has a hard on for moss....

of course, i sure as hope danny was right and moss is a gamebreaker, but as said, he is not a #1 wideout either....

i fear our defense will be downgraded as the potential to lose smoot has risen due to our salary cap restaints due to this trade....

i would have rather released coles and gotten the 5 million sb back that he was willing to give and get the cap relief....oh well...we shall see...

coles is definitely damaged goods though. all this was was a grab for cash....he didn't get another big Signing bonus like he wanted, but he got the 5 mill from the skins and the jets guaranteed his first couple years salary, so same difference, basically.

i always loved coles heart, but he got injured, and he got greedy. i wish him nothing but the worst.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    moss will be sent deep.
    Just like Coles was sent deep?

i would have rather released coles and gotten the 5 million sb back that he was willing to give and get the cap relief
    Despite Coles' offer, I don't think that is actually allowed in terms of the cap.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    the NFLPA would have looked at it, but i think it would have been allowed.

the boys have scoreboard and a uva streak going, so enjoy it.

but i'd expect Williams to be moved to SS now that woodson is gone which means he'll be more concerned about portis than moss. Proof will be on the field as always, man.

Thread Information