My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next time you're hangin' out with friends, try this baseball rules trivia question out on someone. It happened in a game today between the Rangers and Royals:

Has anyone ever hit a ball over the outfield fence in fair territory and only been awarded a single? If so, how so?

Some unthinking or unknowing person might blurt out something like..."yeah, at the end of a game with the winning run coming in from third". That would be wrong.

What is the correct answer? Take a guess before you look.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If there were two outs in the inning when that happened, what would that have been ruled? No runs would have been allowed, I assume

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without looking, I'm guessing a base-running blunder is involved, like two runners on the same base. That's my SWAG.

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read the answer. That sounds like something a Cub player would do in the bottom of the ninth inning of a World Series game 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If there were two outs in the inning when that happened, what would that have been ruled? No runs would have been allowed, I assume
    I'd think it would be treated as a non-force situation -- if the run scores before the out occurs, then the run counts. Sort of like Ventura's "grand single" back in the 1999 NLCS.

Thread Information