Post Count
    EMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona signed defensive end Chike Okeafor on Monday to a five-year, $25 million contract, the Cardinals' third big free agent addition in five days.

Okeafor follows offensive tackle Oliver Ross, who signed Friday, and quarterback Kurt Warner, who agreed to a deal Sunday. Warner will sign his contract and hold a news conference Tuesday.

``I've been a big believer since the day I got here that Arizona has all the ingredients to attract the top NFL free agents, and our three signees are a great indication of that,'' second-year coach Dennis Green said.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Like the others, Okeafor provides a strong upgrade at his position. He was Seattle's left defensive end last season and had a career-high 8 1/2 sacks after recording eight the previous season.

He also had two sacks and four tackles in the Seahawks' 27-20 loss to St. Louis in an NFC wild card game Jan. 8.

Okeafor, who also visited Denver, said during his visit to Arizona headquarters on Saturday that it was obvious Green is serious about shaking the Cardinals' doormat image.

``From playing against them and watching on film, there is some heart there,'' he said.

Okeafor, 28, was interested in the Cardinals in 2003, when he became a free agent after four years with San Francisco. But they were put off by a neck injury, and he signed with the Seahawks instead.

``He's been a productive player, especially over the last two years,'' Arizona football operations vice president Rod Graves said. ``He's young and getting better all the time, and the thing that impressed us most about him is his effort on the field. He's a continual, high-effort player, and that's the kind of at ude we're building this defense with.''

Okeafor will play opposite right defensive end Bertrand Berry, who had 14 1/2 sacks last season and was a Pro Bowl starter, and should give the team with a formidable pass rush.

The Cardinals had 38 sacks last season after three years when they totaled an NFL-low 61.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Cards are putting together a very good D-line and Oliver Ross is a solid OT, but why would anyone consider Kurt Warner a "key" Free Agent unless your goal is losing?

Post Count
    makes no sence unless they want kurt to be a mentor for young quarterback

Post Count
    Just like the Cowboys, the Cardinals have no way to go but up . Wouldn't surprise me to see them much improved.

My Team
    Arizona Cardinals
    Post Count
    With the $ that's been spent by AZ, the Cardinals might not suck next year! That, and that red bird on their helmets got a makeover- with new unis to come.

Post Count
    that red bird on their helmets got a makeover- with new unis to come.
    funny, my old high school used the same style unis and helmets.

That was our school mascot of course, I played on the golf team, and whenever I stopped in Phoenix, Id load up on non arizona marked, Cardinals stuff.

With Cardinals, and the red bird being only on there, and no NFL shield.

My Team
    Arizona Cardinals
    Post Count
    Rumor from AZ has it, albeit not confirmed, the helmets and unis are black trimmed in red.

Post Count
    Typical Bill Bidwell tactic.

Hes got seats to sell next year in the new stadium, so he spends some money this year, gets the team compe ive, maybe good, go to the playoffs, sucker the Arizona fans in, THEN, sell seats, then, kaput, drop all the big money guys and they are done.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    T Park,

Don't forget they're playing a home game in Mexico City too.

Thread Information