My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rose grows to love S.A.
    Web Posted: 03/09/2005 12:00 AM CST

Malik Rose
    Special to the Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...11c07314a.html

I remember my rookie year when I played for the Charlotte Hornets and we played the San Antonio Spurs.

During the day of the game, I took a walk to see the Alamo. When I got there, it was a lot smaller than I thought. You hear all of these stories about it, and you think it's huge, but if you're not paying attention, you could walk right by it.

That's the one thing that worried me about coming to San Antonio back in 1997. San Antonio was so much smaller and not to mention slower than Philadelphia. At the time, Philly had about five million people and I think San Antonio had a little less than one million.

I didn't know much else about the city, either. Not much more than what they teach you in school about Texas. However, I soon found out that the people of San Antonio are some of the nicest and most caring people on the face of the Earth. And that is why I want to thank all of you.

During my eight years there, you guys always treated me very well. Even when my family goes to different places, people treat them kindly and welcome them with open arms.

My family and friends told me about the overwhelming amount of support you guys showed for me when I was traded and I thank you for all of the posters, cards, letters and e-mails that have flooded my restaurant. That support really helped me get through that tough time. It also made me feel like I had made a difference in San Antonio. Like I was living right.

I'm sure you guys know I never wanted to leave, but rest assured, I'll be back after the season. San Antonio will still be my home. My new restaurant will still open later this month and I'll continue to run the business, just from farther away. And to show my thanks for all of your support, if you bring this story into either restaurant, I'll buy you an Italian ice.

Things are going pretty well for me up here in the Big Apple, and my new teammates, as well as the fans, have been great to me. It's exciting to feel wanted and involved in things. Not to say I didn't feel those things with the Spurs, but everybody here is coming up to me asking questions, asking for advice. It's like they depend on me. That feels great!

I know (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) has been catching some heat for the trade, but please believe it wasn't personal. He just made a business decision, and I don't have any animosity toward him or the Spurs' organization.

If I saw Pop on the street, I'd be the first to shake his hand. I really did enjoy being around him. He is a great person. True, we had our differences, but in the working world, who doesn't have problems with their boss.

I will always have a special place for Pop in my heart, because he gave me a chance when no one else would. I still remember back in September 1997 when he invited me to training camp. I was brought in to be a practice player, but over time things changed. The next thing I know, fans are cheering for me, my parents are honorary Baseline Bums and we have two championship rings!

I'll still root for the Spurs. I've got too many friends over there to not support them. However, for two games out of the year, they will be considered the spawn of Satan that must be summarily put to death!

It's funny, when I first moved to San Antonio, I never thought I would own a flat-bed pick-up truck, a pair of cowboy boots or call San Antonio home.

Well, I now drive a Chevy Avalanche to my home in San Antonio. But I doubt if you'll ever get me in a pair of cowboy boots!

Thanks again, and I'll see you all soon!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go dominate, Malik. The Spurs will go win you your third ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow!

Hey Malik, it's good to hear from you despite the trade you'll still root for the Spurs, hope for a comeback next yr. and that "lay off" Pops thing.

Hope you got our E-mail at [email protected]

P.S. So sad you didn't make it on Elliot's jersey retirement.

Philippines vs. USA team in 2012 London Olympics Duncanoypi's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik is the man...!

Good luck little big man....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little big man, cool name.

Do good Malik!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "little big man" someone else used it before but that is a great nickname, wished I actually heard that before he left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article shows the characters of the players the Spurs go after. First class all the way.. We love you Malik...

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can not put a price tag on class....but the Spurs did. The Spurs lost one of the classiest players they ever had.....all for money...sad commentary.

Good luck Malik...the Spurs have already missed your play.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    miss ya leek. i would like to see him make the playoffs, but ny is 4 games back of indy and 7 back of chicago and orlando....good luck buddy.

Ohhhh MommmMA !! LilMissSPURfect's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry.. I had too.

San Antonio is truly a large city. Maybe because its more widespread rather than cramped all downtown,people think its smaller. As of 2000 census
    Philly 1.8 mil San Antonio 1.1 . Have sinced Passed Dallas as Texas' 2nd largest city.

New census reveals San Antonio larger than Dallas

http://www.ntdaily.com/vnews/display.../40da6d97329ff
    Last edited by LilMissSPURfect; 03-09-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added link

Name you'd love to touch maxpower's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell the essence of Malik by his words. He is truly grounded and understands the big picture. You just can't help not liking the guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio is still small compared to a lot of other cities when you look at the Metropolitan area as a whole. Yes, city limit wise, we are bigger than Dallas,Cleveland, Seattle......but these same cities as well as others are much much larger overall. Anyway, I'm glad things are going well for Malik. We miss ya bud!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damm what would people do if david robinson had gone to the knicks like his agent threated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't David have gone to L.A as well and played with Magic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid question alert....

Can the Spurs give him a ring this year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, as far as I know, they can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    true san antonio isnt even among the top 20 metro areas

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't David have gone to L.A as well and played with Magic?

I think the poster before you meant in 2001...

Give Peace a Chance....Imagine? ZStomp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great story.

Good Luck Malik...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the magic thing was an ugly rumor, robinson would have never betrayed the spurs nation and adorned the purple and gold, just picturing that makes me sick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, how the heck did this get ruined?

I'm going to delete some posts in this thread. If you don't like it, oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, how the heck did this get ruined?

I'm going to delete some posts in this thread. If you don't like it, oh well.

Delete away.... sorry for getting it sidetracked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we love you malik
    31 forever!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gopher my favorite malik memory was the dunk on mutumbo (of course) and his block on shawn bradley vs mavs in 03

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio is still small compared to a lot of other cities when you look at the Metropolitan area as a whole. Yes, city limit wise, we are bigger than Dallas,Cleveland, Seattle......but these same cities as well as others are much much larger overall. Anyway, I'm glad things are going well for Malik. We miss ya bud!
    As of this year, since 2003 San Antonio city has added over 55,000 people.

I'm not sure what the metro number has added. Most likely more.

Anyway, San Antonio does have the 8th largest city with 1.2 million and 28th largest metro with almost 2 million.

Still, we are far from "small."

Middle sized, sure. Not small.

Thread Information