Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now who wishes we could've gotten SJackson back, who new the spurs system and was clutch, instead of Barry?

I wanted him all along

dont worry, we TD to shoot our clutch 3's

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hedo, Daniels, Ward. Why don't their games translate under Pop and why is the difference so stark under a different coach/system?
    Poor examples.

Hedo actually played quite well in Pop's system. He just choked in the playoffs.

Daniels? How many coaches and how many systems did he go through before finding one system that he works in after, what 7-8 years?

Ward? Is he playing now? Unfortunately we got that guy just as the wheels were coming off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor examples.

Hedo actually played quite well in Pop's system. He just choked in the playoffs.

Daniels? How many coaches and how many systems did he go through before finding one system that he works in after, what 7-8 years?

Ward? Is he playing now? Unfortunately we got that guy just as the wheels were coming off.
    Daniels played very well in his rookie year with Vancouver. Then he was with SA for years being screamed at by Pop until he spent one disfunctional year with the Blazers after being traded there but can you blame him? Now he's thriving in SEA with the highest ast/to ratio in the league or some such and SEA is having a great year.

Hedo was up and down all over the place with Pop during the regular season. So much so that Pop benched Manu to help him, remember? He didn't just suck in the playoffs.

Ward is the most extreme case of all. This guy's game transitioned from averaging like 9pts/5ast to totally sucking ass in the same season. A little suspect to just call it bad luck don't you think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Daniels played very well in his rookie year with Vancouver.
    Yeah, so well he was traded for Felipe Lopez. He was a bust.
    Now he's thriving in SEA with the highest ast/to ratio in the league or some such and SEA is having a great year.
    So he can work in 25% of systems. Wow.
    Hedo was up and down all over the place with Pop during the regular season.
    Not defensively, which is more than half the issue.
    Ward is the most extreme case of all. This guy's came transitioned from averaging like 9pts/5ast to totally sucking ass in the same season. A little suspect to just call it bad luck don't you think?
    Is he playing now? Please answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so well he was traded for Felipe Lopez. He was a bust.
    For a rookie, his numbers didn't look like bust material. Is he a still a bust? Please.
    So he can work in 25% of systems. Wow.
    I explained the cir stances. If you can't refute it, don't bring it up.
    Not defensively, which is more than half the issue.
    I'm assuming Pop knew Barry wasn't signed for his defensive prowess.

Ward's breakdown is an enigma to be sure, but Pop signed him so he obviously saw something in his game that, again, just didn't translate. Hmmmm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By my count, Ward is about 7th on the Rockets PG depth chart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a rookie, his numbers didn't look like bust material.
    He was traded. End of story. He could never play point regularly until Seattle. End of story.
    I explained the cir stances. If you can't refute it, don't bring it up.
    You made excuses.
    I'm assuming Pop knew Barry wasn't signed for his defensive prowess.
    You should also be assuming that Barry knows he has to play something resembling defense to stay on the floor as a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was traded. End of story. He could never play point regularly until Seattle. End of story.You made excuses.
    Don't be daft. You were trying to say he failed in 1 out of 4 systems when if you look critically at the cir stances, he really only "failed" (even though his numbers were fine) from 1 system other than SA. Portland doesn't count and you know this.

You should also be assuming that Barry knows he has to play something resembling defense to stay on the floor as a Spur.
    No, that was Pop's job before he signed him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, y'all give me a break. Yeah, Barry's been disappointing this season, but at LEAST wait until the season's over before you decide if we should dump him. Hedo led the league in 3 pt. % for a good portion of last season, but disappeared in the playoffs. Who's to say Barry won't reverse that and throw in a couple of key shots during the playoffs this year? I'm not saying Brown and Udrih shouldn't get the minutes now, just that YOU NEVER KNOW when a savvy veteran with shooting skills might surprise you in the playoffs (see Steve Kerr 2003 Game 6 WC Finals).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portland doesn't count and you know this.
    What are you talking about? They could've kept him.
    No, that was Pop's job before he signed him.
    So you're saying you're ignorant about the Spurs's system?

RIF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry at the time was considered the best "Shooter" on the market for the money.

He was considered a better SHOOTER than Stephen Jackson. THATS why he was brought in.

At least Steve Kerr could play something resembling defense.

Brent Barry is a joke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not given up on the man.

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barry, Hedo, Daniels, Ward. Why don't their games translate under Pop and why is the difference so stark under a different coach/system? It can't all be on the player can it?
    Steve Kerr shot 31% his first season with the Spurs. The worst year of his career. His overall field goal percentage was under 40%.

That's why I find it so funny that people are acting like Barry is shooting so poorly. They must not have been around in 98-99.

The two years Stephen Jackson was with the Spurs were also the two worst years of his career in terms of 3 point percentage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you talking about? They could've kept him.
    If you think making Portland's roster is some kind of acid test for success then you're not worth debating.

So you're saying you're ignorant about the Spurs's system?

RIF
    Buy a clue. I'm not scouting for the Spurs. Pop and his staff are. This "discussion" is over.

Thread Information