My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay aside from the obvious, why is it that my blower in my computer won't shut off? I ran programs to clean the disc registry and it still is running continually. Is it possible that my blower is bad? I know I can't unplug it without the computer overheating and shutting down. But this is getting mildly annoying.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Go to into setup when you boot up there is an option to run the fan continuous or when it reaches a certain temperature.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you talking about your CPU fan? It should run all the time, though you should be able to buy a more efficient/quieter aftermarket heat sink/fan combo.

Now if you are talking about a laptop, and it hasn't done that previously -- that could be a different story.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sometimes when your fan gets full of lint you hear it and you wonder why its on all the time when actually it was always on you just didn't notice it was clean and quiet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go to into setup when you boot up there is an option to run the fan continuous or when it reaches a certain temperature.
    Yeah you are talking about from the Bios screen right? I saw something there about changing settings, but there was nothing there that I saw that directly had anything to do with the fan, and there was also a warning message there about changing something might permanately change something. You know which option it could be under?

Are you talking about your CPU fan? It should run all the time, though you should be able to buy a more efficient/quieter aftermarket heat sink/fan combo.

Now if you are talking about a laptop, and it hasn't done that previously -- that could be a different story.

My cpu has three fans. One is in the power supply box, the other one (the one that is extremely loud) is right over the motherboard. And the other one is like an exhaust fan out the rear. Put it this way, it's the fan/blower that only normally came on when I was running numerous programs, or a gaming program. That particular one was always loud. Now that one is continually running, and the fan out the back is running at a really high RPM. When I got home this morning it would shut down for a minute but it would just repeat cycle if I went online. Now it just continually runs. Any ideas?

Oh and thanks for the replies guys!

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably don't want your CPU fan to ever shut off unless you have an ancient processor or a massive heatsink.

If it's loud you should replace it, CPU fans are quiet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably don't want your CPU fan to ever shut off unless you have an ancient processor or a massive heatsink.

If it's loud you should replace it, CPU fans are quiet.

Yeah my original post was sorta misleading. I know that they are supposed to run all the time, but they are both running all the time at a really high rpm. It used to only do that when I ran multiple programs, or a gaming program. They would do that then go back to their normal operating settings I guess once everything cooled down. Sorry for the mix-up.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If you turn off your PC and remove the fan you may see all the lint that is there which means the fan is running at a very high speed to cool off the CPU some PCs have a fan that runs normal then it goes to hyper drive when it gets hot,

At least take a look before you do anything else can you send us a picture?

Also the fans cost like 4.00 dollars online replace it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fan being extremely loud could be a warning sign for a dying processor (or it could just be too much lint). The fan speed increases as the temperature on your CPU goes up; almost any modern motherboard has this feature. If it's too much lint, clean it right away with some compressed air. If you keep letting the processor get hot enough that your fan on the heatsink is going ape , your CPU is going to die a quick and painful death.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, make sure all the dust and crap is blown out of there. You could also try replacing the thermal transfer material on the bottom of your heat sink. Something like Arctic Silver works better than the stuff computers usually ship with, though I'm sure the techies here have their recommendations.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Many people have no idea but there is a virus that makes your cd rom open and close for no reason and another will try and make your possessor over heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many people have no idea but there is a virus that makes your cd rom open and close for no reason and another will try and make your possessor over heat.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. They all make sense. Actually this morning it was acting semi-normal after I got home, it isn't running continual anymore. But that virus thing seems to make sense as well because it is still running at a really high rpm on and off for no apparent reason. As long as I'm stagnant it is fine, but as soon as I click on anything online it revs all the way back up again. Like I said though, it at least isn't running continually high anymore. I am going to go out and get some compressed air and see how that works.
    Thanks for the feedback!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you checked inside your computer? I would recommend looking at your mobo to see if there's anything specifically wrong.

What OS do you use? Have you installed any new programs lately? You might have a lot of start up programs running now. Use cntl + alt + delete and then pull up the task manager. How many programs do you have running at start up? If that number has increased, your system might be at the verge of "running hot" right when you power it on, because it has so many programs running in the background. Do you have any anti-spyware or anti-virus running? I would hesitate to say a virus, but just a few spyware programs could tax your computer more than you realize. I'd say spyware is far more likely than a virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. They all make sense. Actually this morning it was acting semi-normal after I got home, it isn't running continual anymore. But that virus thing seems to make sense as well because it is still running at a really high rpm on and off for no apparent reason. As long as I'm stagnant it is fine, but as soon as I click on anything online it revs all the way back up again. Like I said though, it at least isn't running continually high anymore. I am going to go out and get some compressed air and see how that works.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    why waste money on compressed air can?

just pull it apart and clean it with a brush, get rid of all the dusts in between the hsf+cpu and wipe clean any fans you got....dont vacuum your box cause it can create static electricity and up something....

replug everything

then head into bios, goto health settings.....which has all the fans and temp warnings you can adjust.....ur CPU fan should always be running at max man....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you checked inside your computer? I would recommend looking at your mobo to see if there's anything specifically wrong.

What OS do you use? Have you installed any new programs lately? You might have a lot of start up programs running now. Use cntl + alt + delete and then pull up the task manager. How many programs do you have running at start up? If that number has increased, your system might be at the verge of "running hot" right when you power it on, because it has so many programs running in the background. Do you have any anti-spyware or anti-virus running? I would hesitate to say a virus, but just a few spyware programs could tax your computer more than you realize. I'd say spyware is far more likely than a virus.
    I installed one program that enabled me to watch movies online, but nothing else. I am going to try that cad thing and see what I can get from that.
    I have a spyware program that I run that came up empty.

just pull it apart and clean it with a brush, get rid of all the dusts in between the hsf+cpu and wipe clean any fans you got....dont vacuum your box cause it can create static electricity and up something....

replug everything

then head into bios, goto health settings.....which has all the fans and temp warnings you can adjust.....ur CPU fan should always be running at max man....

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

replug everything

Using compressed air is a of a lot easier than pulling your heatsink off, carefully removing every trace of thermal compound from the die and the heatsink, smoothing out any scratches on the heatsink that you just added when removing the compound, buying new artic silver, applying it, and jamming the heatsink back on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the feedback!
    You should close all your programs down, bring up the task manager, go to processes, then google every process listed to see if you have something bad running; especially for any process using 90+% CPU time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would stay out of the bios and not change any of the settings pertaining to your fan speed. that' just me though.

i have had a similar problem many yrs ago with an old PC i used to have and the solution i found was to buy an aftermarket fan. this fan was huge but it made no more noise and made the cpu even cooler then it was when it was using the factory fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would stay out of the bios and not change any of the settings pertaining to your fan speed. that' just me though.

i have had a similar problem many yrs ago with an old PC i used to have and the solution i found was to buy an aftermarket fan. this fan was huge but it made no more noise and made the cpu even cooler then it was when it was using the factory fan.
    This. Head over to Newegg.com and you can see reviews for CPU fans. Though you might need to know a little bit in order to apply it to your processor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I went into the Bios settings, but I had no idea what I was looking at so I backed out. I am going to use all the simple suggestions that I read here and if none of those work I will probably just take it to best buy. The motherboard is probably about done or something.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The boards don't usually start acting up they will go out or keep working. Have you opened the case yet so we can see a pic of your dusty heat sink?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The boards don't usually start acting up they will go out or keep working. Have you opened the case yet so we can see a pic of your dusty heat sink?

Yeah I opened it. I will take a picture of it before I clean it off. lol

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd just replace the fan/heatsink, they should never be loud. Mine runs at full speed or off and I can't hear the difference. I had a northbridge fan that started sounding like a lawnmower a few weeks ago, I just replaced it with a large heatsink. Sometimes fans just crap out, a bearing gets worn or whatever.

Depending on your mobo and bios, the fan is either throttled depending on temperature or cpu usage. This should be easy to find in the bios, just dont change any settings.

But still, full speed or not, it should be pretty quiet. If it was always loud then your CPU is doing more work than it previously did, if not, a ball bearing is bad.

Anyways, need more information to really see if there is a problem (although I consider a loud annoying fan a problem )

By the way if anyone is looking for passive cooling options:

CPU - optional fan (Dead silent)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185046

Northbridge
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118214

I'm sure theres other stuff, but thats just what I know works.

Thread Information