Spurminator
    Bonds undergoes random test for steroids

•*The left fielder takes the test on Friday as part of baseball's drug prevention program

Giants notebook

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds was randomly tested for steroids before Friday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. All major-league players must undergo a test as part of the drug prevention program between Major League Baseball and the Players Association.

"Go talk to all the other guys," Bonds said before Saturday's game. "I'm not the only guy who was tested. Why are you talking to me?"

Bonds was more forthcoming with a MLB.com reporter before Friday's game.

"I'm glad this is finally happening," he said. "They'll get the results and it will clear my name. It'll show that there's nothing behind what I've been doing (on the field) all year."

But Bonds, when he was read his comment, denied the implication that his name needed to be cleared.

"My name ain't dirty," Bonds said.

Bonds is having arguably his best year ever, which should provide evidence that he didn't need the use of performance-enhancing drugs to put up his past Bondsian numbers.

"We're having a good year," he said. "My year is pretty much the same as it's been. I'm a few homers short of last year."

Bonds is leading the National League with a .371 batting average, has set records for walks (221) and intentional walks (116), and was on the verge of breaking his records for on-base percentage (.611) and OPS (1.445, on-base plus slugging percentage).

Bonds has been under intense scrutiny since last winter, when he testified before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) for the illegal sale of drugs. Bonds was further linked to the investigation when his friend and personal trainer, Greg Anderson, was indicted on charges of distributing steroids.

Contra Costa Times

ducks
    the great player for the dogers is also having a great year
    the dodger will get the mvp if dodgers go to the playoffs and giants do not.

exstatic
    Supposedly, whatever BALCO was pushing wouldn't pop a positive steroid test, being chemically different enough. I think Bonds was probably smart enough to come off the juice, anyway, knowing his involvement in the BALCO would bring a higher level of scrutiny.

T Park Num 9
    he aint gonna be on the now.

If the geniuses from baseball wouldve tested him in the 73 year, then that wouldve answered questions.

Brodels
    he aint gonna be on the now.

If the geniuses from baseball wouldve tested him in the 73 year, then that wouldve answered questions.
    You have no idea is Bonds is currently on roids or if he has ever taken any. He's always been a great player, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he actually did it on his own.

You can't automatically suspect steroids every time a great player has a great year. You just don't know.

Pujols and Edmonds are having great years. It's certainly possible that they are on the roids. We just don't know.

DuffMcCartney
    If Bonds was on steroids then I applaud him, if he wasn't on steroids then I applaud him.

He did whatever it took to be number one.

Spurminator
    Bonds is having a better season this year than any other season in his career.

If he's not on steroids right now, it's highly probable that he never was.

exstatic
    He's always been a great player, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he actually did it on his own.
    His 73 year stands out like a sore thumb. He has never hit more than 49 in any other year, so that was an almost 50% increase over what were already significant HR numbers. That, my friend, is a serious statistical anomaly.

Spurminator
    He has been WALKED and PITCHED AROUND at a far greater rate this season.

This season, he is hitting a homerun once every 8 at bats.

In 2001 (when he hit 73) it was once every 7 at bats. Now, you can choose to believe it was steroids that made that slim difference, but it's much more likely that the difference is simply age... Or the fact that the pitches he sees aren't as fat because he's not batting ahead of an MVP-quality Jeff Kent anymore.

I think Bonds definitely invited skepticism in recent years. He looked like he was juicing... his power numbers reached unfathomable heights... and he didn't seem to care much about proving the accusations false. But his slugging numbers this season are the second highest of his career, and it's been pretty much accepted all along that even if Bonds had used illegal substances in the past, there's no way he would do so this year in light of all of the controversy.

Jimcs50
    I think it is totally normal to add 35 lbs of muscle, don't you?

Spurminator
    Who said it had to be normal?

Is it possible?

There's no doubt he was on some kind of performance enhancing substance. But that doesn't necessarily mean he was doping illegally.

tlongII
    He's probably on the juice, but I don't care. You still gotta hit the ball.

exstatic
    You still gotta hit the ball.
    Correct, and steroids won't help that, but they CAN turn a skinny, singles and doubles hitting, basestealer with warning track power into what we see today.

Thread Information