Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    NEW YORK -- NBA vice president Stu Jackson decided Tuesday that Lakers forward Trevor Ariza would not be penalized further for his hard foul against Trail Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez, but the league was still taking a long look at whether Lamar Odom's actions merited a suspension under the "leaving the bench" rule.

"We're reviewing it," league spokesman Tim Frank said of Monday night's Lakers-Blazers scrum, which happened after Ariza knocked Fernandez off-balance with a hard foul on a breakaway late in the third quarter, and Fernandez was carried off on a stretcher and hospitalized.

Ariza was ejected, which is automatic for a flagrant 2-category foul. But Ariza would not receive any other penalty, Frank said.

Jackson and his staff were still reviewing the post-foul scrum, however, to determine if anyone leaving the bench during the altercation would receive an automatic one-game suspension.

No punches were thrown, and the fracas was rather mild by historical standards, but Portland's Brandon Roy appeared to grab at or shove Ariza before turning his attention to Odom, who appeared to come off the Lakers bench and walk approximately 15 feet toward the fray.

"I stood up, but I stood right there -- I didn't go nowhere," Odom said.

Nearby, Portland's Travis Outlaw appeared to bump or shove the Lakers' Josh Powell. The fracas lasted only a few seconds, and order was restored quickly enough for the officials to review the play on the courtside monitor while Fernandez was being tended to by medical personnel.

"I was just trying to go for the ball and make a good play, and unfortunately somebody got hurt," Ariza said. "I'm just trying to play the game the right way -- trying to give them nothing easy."

Lead official Bavetta upheld the flagrant-2 foul against Ariza, who appeared to be going for the ball when he swiped at Fernandez on a breakaway with the Lakers trailing by 28 points with 2.2 seconds left in the third quarter.

Ariza caught enough of Fernandez's arm to knock him off-balance, and Fernandez landed hard on his left hip and appeared to have the wind knocked out of him. The game was delayed nearly 10 minutes before Fernandez was wheeled off on a stretcher.

Fernandez was conscious and alert when he left the court, and he had full movement of his extremities, the team said. X-rays and a CT scan were negative, but Fernandez remained at the hospital overnight with a "soft tissue injury to his right upper chest/side area."

"It was weird. We were winning by a lot of points, everybody was playing well ... actually it was clear that Ariza was going to hit him, because he had had a couple of turnovers. He was after him to hit him, but not to hurt him. Even Ariza was scared about what he had done," Blazers guard Sergio Rodriguez said, according to the Spanish Web site Marca.com.

There was no indication from the NBA whether the matter of additional suspensions or fines would be addressed Tuesday or Wednesday. The Lakers' next game is Wednesday night in Houston, and the Trail Blazers' next game is at home the same night against Dallas.

Chris Sheridan is an NBA writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Odom should be suspended, if Amare and Diaw got suspended versus the spurs then Odom should, but then again the league loves those spurs and thats why they suspended those suns

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    As expected for Ariza. No intent, was going for the ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    "It was weird. We were winning by a lot of points, everybody was playing well ... actually it was clear that Ariza was going to hit him, because he had had a couple of turnovers. He was after him to hit him, but not to hurt him. Even Ariza was scared about what he had done," Blazers guard Sergio Rodriguez said, according to the Spanish Web site Marca.com.
    This sums up pretty well what happened.

"I stood up, but I stood right there -- I didn't go nowhere," Odom said.
    Is this guy mentally re ed? Isn't he aware the games are filmed and broadcasted or something?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Here is the official definition of a flagrant 2 from the NBA rule book:

" b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team. "

The only difference between this and a flagrant 1 is the word "excessive"; each person interprets this word differently. It was definitely a flagrant 1, I, personally, do not think it warrants a flagrant 2. It was definitely unnecessary, though it was not excessive.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Odom should be suspended, if Amare and Diaw got suspended versus the spurs then Odom should, but then again the league loves those spurs and thats why they suspended those suns
    I wouldn't be surprised if Odom isn't suspended KG wasn't suspended last year for doing what Amare and Diaw did.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Memo to other teams when playing the Lakers: If you want justice after a dirty play you're going to have to take it.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Odom just trying to get out of being suspended. He'll say anything but the film tells all. Odom should definately get suspended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got biased league.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The flagrant against Ariza should have been lifted…This Euro Flopping must stop!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memo to other teams when playing the Lakers: If you want justice after a dirty play you're going to have to take it.
    Pretty much. Though I think in the playoffs that would be a suspension, regardless.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

So you're telling me that Dirk getting shoved around & fouled down low, and backhanding Harpring by accident, is worthy of a one-game suspension, but Ariza trying to take Rudy's head off isn't?

Stern loves his Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen would have been suspended for about four years. And then forced to meet Kobe in Colorado.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Here is the official definition of a flagrant 2 from the NBA rule book:

" b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpret-ed to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team. "

The only difference between this and a flagrant 1 is the word "excessive"; each person interprets this word differently. It was definitely a flagrant 1, I, personally, do not think it warrants a flagrant 2. It was definitely unnecessary, though it was not excessive.
    Answer me this: there was a swinging motion from Ariza or not?

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if Odom isn't suspended KG wasn't suspended last year for doing what Amare and Diaw did.
    When has KG left the bench the way Odom did it?

KG was suspended because he and Bogut shoved each other - a much less serious and dangerous move than this one.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As expected for Ariza. No intent, was going for the ball.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    When has KG left the bench the way Odom did it?
    I don't know when he left the bench, but in the playoffs he did shove a ref and get away with it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Can't block a shot from behind without swinging.

The reason LO hasn't been suspended because of where he was at on the floor. The bench area is clear when its on the sidelines or going into the crowd but LO did neither. He didn't cross the lines and often times many players are "on the bench" but actually sit on the baseline.

Definitely a much grayer ever than previous instances - its why the league hasn't ruled. Because that part of the baseline is often considered the bench area.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don't know when he left the bench.
    Me neither, that's why I'm asking.

Tankin'
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes obviously the league is biased. It couldn't possibly be that fans of other teams on this site are the biased ones. People get fouled all the time. He just happened to fall hard. Suck it up pussies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stern loves them Lakers! Odom should get the same suspension as Amare got-rules should be applied evenly. Dumbass Odom doesn't even know there are tapes out there. Typical pendejo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't block a shot from behind without swinging.
    shows how little Lakerfan knows about interior defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    odom got up and left the bench. period.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count

So you're telling me that Dirk getting shoved around & fouled down low, and backhanding Harpring by accident, is worthy of a one-game suspension, but Ariza trying to take Rudy's head off isn't?

Stern loves his Lakers.
    And his Jazz. Stern loves big markets and religion. A bunch of good religious white boys playing basketball gives Stern a boner, so he tells the refs to let them play like thugs.

Sterns goal is to get as many bible thumpers watching the NBA as possible, that's why he does pointless things like create a dress code.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    1:41 mark to see LO

Thread Information