Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Best Country song is Wasted Days and Wasted Nights by Freddy Fender.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Damn look what a drummers death did to Led Zep.!
    Whoaaa...

Led Zep was already the biggest band in the world when Bonham died. And the Stones are widely considered the second greatest band of all time. I don't understand how they're disrespected.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I don't know how I feel about Stones v Beatles, but comparing their, IMO, respective best albums, I give a slight edge to Revolver over Exile. And actually, body of work wise, the Beatles have em beat. Plus, they were 20 years ahead of their time when the Stones were still busy riffing on blues progressions.

And it's impossible to pick my favorite song, but 7 of the top 10 are probably Dylan songs. And One Too Many Mornings live in 66 is up there.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Kind of on the same subject, have you ever read the book Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman? It's my absolute favorite book, and a very easy read. It touches on the fact that bands that die young are making the best career move they could ever make. It relates it to life and relationships you had in your life on how you always look back and think of the one that got away as the greatest girl ever because you never got a chance to see her in a different light- Like how we remember the Beatles for all the great things they did, but we never got to experience the 1995 John Lennon goes Country tour. He writes about it as he is doing an article in Spin where he drives around the country to all the places where rock stars have died

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I don't know how I feel about Stones v Beatles, but comparing their, IMO, respective best albums, I give a slight edge to Revolver over Exile. And actually, body of work wise, the Beatles have em beat. Plus, they were 20 years ahead of their time when the Stones were still busy riffing on blues progressions.
    That is a valid point, and like I said I think I'm in the majority that likes the Stones more- but you have to give the Stones their due too. When they came out they were seen as the devil's music where the the public was more receiving of the Beatles. My dad said that when they were kids the Stones were seen as sort of a Marylin Manson by their parents. They were even banned from playing cities like Detroit, and fans on the Stones were kind of like rebels. That is what the Stones changed, they changed the culture of Rock while the Beatles were more of a Pop band that turned to rock later on down the road

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Of course, anything by The Band is kickass.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released."
    Yeah that's great. You know who else has a kick ass cover of that song is Chrissie Hynde.
    Last edited by balli; 03-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

"Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains

Name
    Billy Shears
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Well, The Beatles did more expirementation with music than The Stones did. The Stones pretty much stuck with the R&B/Blues influence.

I like them both, very much.

I just appreciate what The Beatles did in terms of sound and lyrics more than what The Stones did with their music.
    When you talk about the Beatles being great, you're really talking about Lennon and McCartney. Those two left a huge impact on the music scene. You can also thank them for mastering multi-track recording. They didn't just come to America in the 60s with great haircuts and faces that made our moms wet. But as far as musical genius is concerned, it gets no better than the Beatles.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    My dad said that when they were kids the Stones were seen as sort of a Marylin Manson by their parents. They were even banned from playing cities like Detroit, and fans on the Stones were kind of like rebels. That is what the Stones changed, they changed the culture of Rock while the Beatles were more of a Pop band that turned to rock later on down the road
    I'll still go with the Beatles, but yeah,
    That is a valid point

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Whoaaa...

Led Zep was already the biggest band in the world when Bonham died. And the Stones are widely considered the second greatest band of all time. I don't understand how they're disrespected.
    I don't know. I guess I don't see why Led Zeppelin is considered as great as they are. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great band, but when you list the Top 5 bands of all they are always listed either 3-4. That ranking might be true, but I think sooner or later they would have created enough bad music to take their ranking down enough. I mean we already see on of the members doing folk music, but I can't honestly imagine a Led Zeppelin with 20 more years under their belt considered one of the best. You know what I'm saying? I think they are top 10, but I think that him dying and them stopping so abruptly made them immortals, when they could have turned into more of like a Metallica: a band that still tours and releases albums that nobody other than die hards really care about.

Name
    Billy Shears
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Oh, and just my opinion, but Revolver isn't the Beatles best album. It might not even be their third best album. White Album is definitely their best.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I think Rubber Soul is their best- but I guess that is what makes a great band: they don't have that one album that is clearly their best and someone's 'best Beatles album' might be considered by someone else as their worst.

Name
    Why?
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Are we really demeaning Raising Sand? It's one of the better albums from last year, hands down. And U2 seems to have done pretty well for themselves by reinvention. Led Zep was heading down that road, if InThroughTheOutDoor was any indication. I see your point, but they were good enough to have already overcome a ty album i.e. Presence and some pretty ed up personal cir stances.

And Bonham stuffing a shark up some groupies vagina = instant legend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    all this talk about rockers who die and make their band bigger forces you to offer my own opinion on the opposite of that happening with another big name. Bruce Springsteen wrote a ton of hits that are actually not great songs by any stretch of the imagination, however, he lived long enough that he is now considered a great song writer by the music community. He managed to pull the exact opposite of what should happen as you grow old. He still makes music that is no better than decent, but he is patronized by his peers and people act like he is some kind of genius. It's fascinating. It's like a lifetime achievement award for every year he keeps breathing

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I don't know. I guess I don't see why Led Zeppelin is considered as great as they are. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great band, but when you list the Top 5 bands of all they are always listed either 3-4. That ranking might be true, but I think sooner or later they would have created enough bad music to take their ranking down enough. I mean we already see on of the members doing folk music, but I can't honestly imagine a Led Zeppelin with 20 more years under their belt considered one of the best. You know what I'm saying? I think they are top 10, but I think that him dying and them stopping so abruptly made them immortals, when they could have turned into more of like a Metallica: a band that still tours and releases albums that nobody other than die hards really care about.
    Led Zep was my first musical love... and then I grew up.

I don't know how I feel about Bonham's death leading to an inflation in their value. There' probably some truth in that. But honestly, they had some good music left in em. Presence is IMO, maybe their best album. And if ITTOD wasn't all that great, I think they still had some jaw droppingly good potential when Bonham died.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    . I see your point, but they were good enough to have already overcome a ty album i.e. Presence and some pretty ed up personal cir stances.
    What??? Heresy. I think it's by far their hardest album to appreciate, but I think once you understand what Zeps all about, Presence is one of their top albums. I'll take Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea for One any day of the week. Especially Live.

Plant, that album was, Jimmy Page epitomized.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    all this talk about rockers who die and make their band bigger forces you to offer my own opinion on the opposite of that happening with another big name. Bruce Springsteen wrote a ton of hits that are actually not great songs by any stretch of the imagination, however, he lived long enough that he is now considered a great song writer by the music community. He managed to pull the exact opposite of what should happen as you grow old. He still makes music that is no better than decent, but he is patronized by his peers and people act like he is some kind of genius. It's fascinating. It's like a lifetime achievement award for every year he keeps breathing
    There are a ton of people who will disagree with you on Sprinsteen. And he's written very few "hits".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Of course, anything by The Band is kickass.

Love the Band!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What??? Heresy. I think it's by far their hardest album to appreciate, but I think once you understand what Zeps all about, Presence is one of their top albums. I'll take Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea for One any day of the week. Especially Live.
    Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Not my cup. I tried man, believe me. But when you're 16, some things don't resonate. Due to your endorsement, I might have to go back and give it another try.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii - Echoes pts. 1 and 2

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Led Zep was my first musical love... and then I grew up.

I don't know how I feel about Bonham's death leading to an inflation in their value. There' probably some truth in that. But honestly, they had some good music left in em. Presence is IMO, maybe their best album. And if ITTOD wasn't all that great, I think they still had some jaw droppingly good potential when Bonham died.
    I'm saying that all bands are immortalized like that. That is why I say if Jagger or Richard died, the Stones would be much much better than they already are. I mean they are still the biggest band living and touring today, but can you imagine the Stones without Dirty Work? I mean just look at the cover of that god forsaken thing! They are still big despite them putting out a bunch of albums nobody cares about, and touring while they are fossils. We never saw the Beatles offer their version of Dirty Work in the 80's, and we didn't get the Led Zeppelin Unplugged Covers of Disco songs albums. We never knew what would happen to them. The Stones withstood all of that and are still considered the 2nd best band ever.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Actually some songs sucked, but I really love parts of that album.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    There are a ton of people who will disagree with you on Sprinsteen. And he's written very few "hits".
    yeah and there is a ton of people buying Jonas Brothers Albums

Thread Information