Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I go with bohemian rhapsody, is such a weird song, i just can`t figure out how someone could have the imagination to write it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Are we really comparing Bruce Springsteen and the Jonas Brothers?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    all this talk about rockers who die and make their band bigger forces you to offer my own opinion on the opposite of that happening with another big name. Bruce Springsteen wrote a ton of hits that are actually not great songs by any stretch of the imagination, however, he lived long enough that he is now considered a great song writer by the music community. He managed to pull the exact opposite of what should happen as you grow old. He still makes music that is no better than decent, but he is patronized by his peers and people act like he is some kind of genius. It's fascinating. It's like a lifetime achievement award for every year he keeps breathing
    I am not a huge Springsteen fan. I agree with you, most of his stuff is decent.

HOwever "Streeets of Philadephia" is definatly one of my favorite songs.

ATRAIN is gay peewee's lovechild's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    I don't usually associate ATPTG with the Stones. It's a Temptations masterpiece. Always has been, always will be. That's like someone saying, "Oh, whenever I hear Satisfaction I associate it with Otis Redding."
    Can I Get A Witness, Carol, Everybody Needs Someone To Love, You Can't Catch Me, Not Fade Away, I Wanna Be Your Man (actually written by The Beatles), It's All Over Now . . . that's all I can remember at the moment.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hard to choose, but at this point, I'd say "God Only Knows." On another day, I might say "Wouldn't It Be Nice." And those songs were released on the SAME SINGLE. Crazy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I go with bohemian rhapsody, is such a weird song, i just can`t figure out how someone could have the imagination to write it.
    Freddie Mercury is the most underrated musician of all-times.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Stupid f'ing 80's. What a decade for music.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Best song ever just crossed my mind!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kind of on the same subject, have you ever read the book Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman? It's my absolute favorite book, and a very easy read. It touches on the fact that bands that die young are making the best career move they could ever make. It relates it to life and relationships you had in your life on how you always look back and think of the one that got away as the greatest girl ever because you never got a chance to see her in a different light- Like how we remember the Beatles for all the great things they did, but we never got to experience the 1995 John Lennon goes Country tour. He writes about it as he is doing an article in Spin where he drives around the country to all the places where rock stars have died
    I'll have to check that out.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Hard to choose, but at this point, I'd say "God Only Knows." On another day, I might say "Wouldn't It Be Nice." And those songs were released on the SAME SINGLE. Crazy.
    I have never, ever been able to force myself into truly liking Pet Sounds. I'm far too conceited and cynical I think. Tough luck for me, because I know I'm missing out.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Are we really comparing Bruce Springsteen and the Jonas Brothers?
    Both are critically acclaimed
    Both are from New Jersey
    Both sell a ton of albums
    Both have songs that people like, and in turn think they are great

that is my problem with Springsteen. It's not like I don't recognize his right to exist, I do. It's that he is often referred to as one of the best ever. His fans are like Dave Matthews Band fans where they think he is the best thing to ever discover music. That is my problem with him. He will go down as someone like Bob Dylan when he should go down as someone like John Couger Mellencamp. Like Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, but I recognize they are not the best ever, probably not even Top 50, but Bruce fans think he is better than the freakin Beatles. They talk about him like he is a god. He wrote Working on the ing Highway- that sucks! Born to Run is him over preforming a bunch of lame-ass lyrics. And his first 2 albums were only relevant to someone if they were a union worker in Jersey. He didn't even try to use metaphors like the Beatles did so they would relate to everyone. When he was writing a song about leaving work, it was a song about leaving work:traffic, time cards, your boss, everything. That is lame.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Can I Get A Witness, Carol, Everybody Needs Someone To Love, You Can't Catch Me, Not Fade Away, I Wanna Be Your Man (actually written by The Beatles), It's All Over Now . . . that's all I can remember at the moment.
    Witness - Gaye
    Carol - Berry
    Everybody - Burke
    Berry
    holly

I'm not saying they didn't cover songs. These songs however are associated with their primary singers, at least for me. The songs the Stones are most famous for are the ones they wrote themselves.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Of course, anything by The Band is kickass.
    The Band had some kick ass songs.

The Weight is probably my favorite followed by Acadian Driftwood.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have never, ever been able to force myself into truly liking Pet Sounds. I'm far too conceited and cynical I think. Tough luck for me, because I know I'm missing out.
    I like it but it's not something I can just listen to all the time, front to back. For a "best album ever" contender, I think it has a bit too much filler. Still, those two songs are among the most beautiful ever recorded. So fun to dissect all of the layers piece by piece.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    When you talk about the Beatles being great, you're really talking about Lennon and McCartney. Those two left a huge impact on the music scene. You can also thank them for mastering multi-track recording. They didn't just come to America in the 60s with great haircuts and faces that made our moms wet. But as far as musical genius is concerned, it gets no better than the Beatles.
    I agree.

But, you have to give Harrison some credit.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Anything from Anal .
    this could be its own thread. one of my personal faves is "Kyle from Incantaion has a Moustache." i think they also got perma banned from SA for setting a club on fire.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Both are critically acclaimed
    Both are from New Jersey
    Both sell a ton of albums
    Both have songs that people like, and in turn think they are great

that is my problem with Springsteen. It's not like I don't recognize his right to exist, I do. It's that he is often referred to as one of the best ever. His fans are like Dave Matthews Band fans where they think he is the best thing to ever discover music. That is my problem with him. He will go down as someone like Bob Dylan when he should go down as someone like John Couger Mellencamp. Like Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, but I recognize they are not the best ever, probably not even Top 50, but Bruce fans think he is better than the freakin Beatles. They talk about him like he is a god. He wrote Working on the ing Highway- that sucks! Born to Run is him over preforming a bunch of lame-ass lyrics. And his first 2 albums were only relevant to someone if they were a union worker in Jersey. He didn't even try to use metaphors like the Beatles did so they would relate to everyone. When he was writing a song about leaving work, it was a song about leaving work:traffic, time cards, your boss, everything. That is lame.

I completely disagree, but that was some funny . BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

I completely disagree, but that was some funny . BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.
    I think it was only a matter of time before I landed on Springsteen. It's a shame he is even mentioned in this thread considering the le. So sorry everyone I'm ready to move on

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Oh, and just my opinion, but Revolver isn't the Beatles best album. It might not even be their third best album. White Album is definitely their best.
    The White Album is definitely my favorite. I have to make Revolver my second on the list because there are so many songs that I just love. Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, and Let It Be round up my Top 5.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.
    God I'm glad you brought that up. Clapton is just a ing fraud of a legend. I can't stand the guy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    yeah and there is a ton of people buying Jonas Brothers Albums

I like The Boss, but that was a funny retort.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You can't go wrong with Erotic City.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    God Only Knows is perhaps the greatest Beach Boy song.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Speaking of Clapton and how bad the 80's were for mainstream rock (especially artists that were big in the 70's), this one pretty much sums up the decade for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Witness - Gaye
    Carol - Berry
    Everybody - Burke
    Berry
    holly

I'm not saying they didn't cover songs. These songs however are associated with their primary singers, at least for me. The songs the Stones are most famous for are the ones they wrote themselves.

The songs I listed are the ones that established them in the 60s. It wasn't until the late 60s that they went on with their own stuff.

I guess I was just making a point that The Beatles made their way into music by writing their own material, whereas The Stones debuted with covers.

Thread Information