Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as you pay attention to all the shelves and scavenge every person you kill... you should be fine when it comes to ammo... if not... then sell all the ammo youre not gonna use and buy ammo you are (I usually sell all my flamer fuel, 5mm, missiles, and any energy weapon ammo)

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    don't buy or rent star ocean
    what a ty rpg gives you like an hour intro on how to play the game
    Too late for me. I played through that intro and a few minutes of the actual game and haven't touched it since. Not cool.
    While the intro was way too long, Star Ocean really shines as you get into it...as long as you pay absolutely no attention to any of the 10-45 minute cutscenes. I'm a big fan of this game, but if the battle system absolutely carried it. Endgame is good since there is little to no story and thus no cutscenes.

But its pretty embarrassing how bad the cutscenes are considering its from such a high-end publisher like Square-Enix. I played through the game (about 30-40hrs), paid very little attention to the story and had a good experience, plus they are skippable (but not pausable). Worth at least a rental if your not a JRPG or Star Ocean fan but beware its an acquired taste.
    Good advice. I got bored with CoD 4 again and on your assurance decided to tough Star Ocean out. Took me 6 or 7 spins (at least) to get into it and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. About 7 hours in and I'm starting to get a feel for the game... finally. But honestly, there's still a lot to learn. I've never played many JRPG's outside the Zelda series, if that even counts, but man, the complexity of this game and its leveling system is kicking my ass. It's fun, but I might as well be studying for the Bar exam or something. A whole of a lot to absorb.

And yeah, the cut scenes absolutely suck ass, but I'm not skipping em... yet. It's kind of like sitting through a ty movie out of spite for the fact you paid for it. Maybe I'll get fed up enough to walk out on them, but not yet.
    Last edited by balli; 05-01-2009 at 09:46 PM.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also on Fallout, make sure to do a good number of side quests, that will get you more ammo and/or items you can sell and get $ for.

Make sure to also get into the museum of natural history, up on the 2nd floor in a glass case there is the Lincoln Repeater Rifle. That weapon does some major damage from medium to close distance w/ head shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good advice. I got bored with CoD 4 again and on your assurance decided to tough Star Ocean out. Took me 6 or 7 spins (at least) to get into it and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. About 7 hours in and I'm starting to get a feel for the game... finally. But honestly, there's still a lot to learn. I've never played many JRPG's outside the Zelda series, if that even counts, but man, the complexity of this game and its leveling system is kicking my ass. It's fun, but I might as well be studying for the Bar exam or something. A whole of a lot to absorb.

And yeah, the cut scenes absolutely suck ass, but I'm not skipping em... yet. It's kind of like sitting through a ty movie out of spite for the fact you paid for it. Maybe I'll get fed up enough to walk out on them, but not yet.
    Glad to see you kept playing! The battle system is really all about the cancel combos. Once you level up that ability and gain enough good combos you're unstoppable.

I sat through all the cutscenes for the same reason. I guess I was also kinda hoping they'd get better to...but they didn't

As for Mass Effect, what is the battle system like exactly? I've been thinking about buying it as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bleh... I'm on my 5th playthrough for mass effect. i'm already getting burnt out on it because ive done these missions 4 times before already... it's on insanity so it's a lot harder.. .but it just feels like meh.

I'm gonna see if i can beat it in under 20 hours because i already know where everything is. i can't play for more than 1 mission / a couple assignments at a time because it gets old way too fast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bleh... I'm on my 5th playthrough for mass effect. i'm already getting burnt out on it because ive done these missions 4 times before already... it's on insanity so it's a lot harder.. .but it just feels like meh.

I'm gonna see if i can beat it in under 20 hours because i already know where everything is. i can't play for more than 1 mission / a couple assignments at a time because it gets old way too fast.
    Wow, and it only took 4 times for it to get old? Looks like you got your money's worth.

Have you tried being a renegade? It's fun, you can jack reporters right in the face and stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after the 3rd playthrough I had pretty much seen and done everything.

1st playthrough was just to play it.

2nd I started going for achievements as a good guy.

3rd I played as a renegade.

4th I played to beat it on hardcore

5th I'm playing to beat it on insanity and get my last two ally achievements

6th and a half... this one wont be too bad... going to pick up the extreme power gamer achievement for reaching level 60. I have a level 56 guy I can load up and get within a couple hours.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    I played through once, while doing a lot of side missions and could easily see it getting stale... even as a different character. Some of the best moments in that game were story driven and/or cutscenes. It's rare that in a game I watch a cutscene or in game plot development and go, "dude, that was badass." But as cool as that was, sort of a one trick pony.

I'll play through it again, but I doubt I ever go through it more than twice... maybe a third time 7 years down the road or something.
    As for Mass Effect, what is the battle system like exactly? I've been thinking about buying it as well.
    A mix of third person shooter that's more about taking cover/picking your spots than it is just 100% blasting your way through, and real time strategy where you're giving commands and dialing up attack/defense commands of your own.

I have nowhere near the experience of jm3000 and Havoc, but I found it a little clunky, not the controls just the feel of it. It lacked a certain weight and finesse. Which is fine, it's an RPG, not a shooter and it's certainly not bad to the point that it's a detriment to how fun the game is. It could be improved upon though... and said combat improvements are what Bioware's really hyping up for Mass Effect 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mass Effect is pretty ing sweet. I'm not big into RPGs and I love it. I'd def. buy it.
    Same here. You can't go wrong with buying it for $10.

Mass Effect WAS overpriced because it's a little short. What's worse is Bioware has only released one extra level via DC. Hopefully that's because they're hard at work on the sequel...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm looking forward to ME2. If they can truly improve the battle system a bit and widely extend the amount of "extra" content a la Oblivion or FO3, it could be one of the best games of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm looking forward to ME2. If they can truly improve the battle system a bit and widely extend the amount of "extra" content a la Oblivion or FO3, it could be one of the best games of all time.
    I can agree with that. The story was compelling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was blown away by the character face creation and how it was so seamless from gameplay to story dialogue.

But I don't play many games these days so maybe this is the norm now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *Bumping for later use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CAN'T WAIT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice, i never played the original trilogy, this looks like something i'll have to bookmark

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice, i never played the original trilogy, this looks like something i'll have to bookmark
    One of those series I'll always say I'm going to play and then never do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of those series I'll always say I'm going to play and then never do.
    This is me basically 80% of the time. Except I buy them and just let them collect dust.

I bought Nier Automata on release date but didn't play it until early this year.

Ditto with this very collection on the PS3. I have it but never actually played it. I saw it on Best Buy for 20 bucks so I took the opportunity to grab it at such cheap price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is me basically 80% of the time. Except I buy them and just let them collect dust.

I bought Nier Automata on release date but didn't play it until early this year.

Ditto with this very collection on the PS3. I have it but never actually played it. I saw it on Best Buy for 20 bucks so I took the opportunity to grab it at such cheap price.
    That's me with Kingdom Hearts. I have 1.5 + 2.5 and 3 and have played a minute of none of them. Kind of don't even want to play anything too after finishing RDR2 a few days ago. Always hard to follow up an epic game like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's me with Kingdom Hearts. I have 1.5 + 2.5 and 3 and have played a minute of none of them. Kind of don't even want to play anything too after finishing RDR2 a few days ago. Always hard to follow up an epic game like that.
    The original trilogy minus the dumpster fire of an ending is still one of my favorite video game series. The fourth game was a piece of though. Bioware has progressively gotten worse and worse since EA purchased them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I played all of them, the last one was a bit weak though... looking forward to this one.

That said, KOTOR is the blueprint and GOAT, imho. Just hasn’t aged well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Almost here and I'm stoked.

This looks really ing good. They went above and beyond to actually improve these games. Well worth the 60 dollars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mass Effect is another series i never played...

looks like this will be a nice purchase for me in a few years when its dirt cheap

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mass Effect is another series i never played...

looks like this will be a nice purchase for me in a few years when its dirt cheap
    And then you never play it either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then you never play it either
    ill get there. i just have to finish the ps4 library before Ragnarok comes out

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Been playing ME1 again . Truly is my GOAT game tbh, I can't remember the last time I've sunken hours into a game.

Thread Information