View Poll Results: Who would you pick to be your franchise player?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Duncan - Mr Fundamental

77 50.33%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon - The Dream

44 28.76%
  • Can't go wrong with either

32 20.92%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I picked Duncan by the thinnest of margins, because I think he's a better teammate than Hakeem. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I vaguely recall some static between him and Cassell about the offense that made the Barkley trade a no-brainer. Having lived in Houston in 97-99 (and having watched most of Houston's games), I remember Hakeem and Barkley both having a hard time taking a step back and sharing the ball with the rest of the team. It's not too big a deal though; the compe ive edge that makes a player incredible like Olajuwon was is never going to disappear, and no way was Hakeem ever going to shrink from the challenge of carrying a team.

I don't want it to sound too much like I'm canonizing Duncan. I know he had issues with Parker and thought Pop was nuts to pin their le hopes on a 19 year-old from France. There had to be some static with Tim pushing the FO to go after Kidd. Still, Tim has always shown the maturity to take a step back and let his teammates flourish, just like David Robinson did with him.

Lastly, I think Olajuwon would've gone to Orlando in 2000. Sometimes I'm still shocked Duncan didn't.
    Hakeem was washed up when they got Barkley. He wasn't anything close to what he was in 95', even then he was in his 30s

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    And Barkley was washed up too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't underrate Duncan. Even in the quote below, you see that I have had very high regard for Duncan and his career and his legacy. Hakeem was a more explosive, potent scorer than Duncan. That is something you cannot argue. Hakeem was able to consistently score 30+ ppg for entire le runs. I still don't know if Duncan could do that if he was called upon all the way to a championship. He may. He may not.

Again, goes to show you that I don't underrate him. Tim's career does compare favorably. And, Duncan was more of a winner throughout his career than Hakeem was. It's true Tim Duncan has arguably had a better overall career than Hakeem. Hakeem in his prime was better than Duncan in his prime.

That does not refute my original comments in this thread. I'm not convinced Duncan leads the 1993-94 Rockets to a championship. My glowing comments about Duncan's career do not contradict that.
    I do not think that is arguable. As previously stated, Hakeems prime (short lived) > Duncan's, but career not even close.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The fact that the voting is pretty much 50/50 on a "SPURS MESSAGE BOARD", speaks volumes and tells you all you need to know.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the voting is pretty much 50/50 on a "SPURS MESSAGE BOARD", speaks volumes and tells you all you need to know.
    Yeah, with half the votes by Rocket fans.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I do not think that is arguable. As previously stated, Hakeems prime (short lived) > Duncan's, but career not even close.
    I still believe it's arguable. If you factor in team success, Duncan wins hands down. But, if you're talking about which had the better individual career, it's still very debatable.

Some of you act like outside of the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons, Hakeem was an average player. In his first 13 seasons, even if you take out those two championship years, Hakeem was right around 22 ppg, 11-12 rpg, 3 bpg, 51% FG shooting, and he was an all league defender. Again, factor in team success, and it's Duncan no doubt. Talk about individual player, it's very much open for debate.

I'd also like to point something else out. Someone suggested that Tim Duncan in his prime would never let his team not make the playoffs, criticizing Hakeem for the 1991-92 Rockets team failing to make it to the playoffs. Noteworthy is that Hakeem missed 12 games that season and the Rockets were 2-10 without him. They ended up with a 42-40 record and 9th place in the conference. The 8th seed in the Western Conference that year were the LA Lakers with a record of 43-39. The Rockets missing the playoffs that year is very much an indictment on Hakeem's supporting cast. In 2004-05, Tim Duncan missed 16 games and the Spurs went 9-7 in those games he missed. In 2003-04, Duncan missed 13 games and the Spurs went 6-7 in those games Duncan missed. The Spurs supporting cast could manage to be around .500 without Duncan. That 1991-92 Rockets team had a 16.7% winning percentage

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Yeah, with half the votes by Rocket fans.
    Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.......this is Duncan's home turf, not Hakeem's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still believe it's arguable. If you factor in team success, Duncan wins hands down. But, if you're talking about which had the better individual career, it's still very debatable.

Some of you act like outside of the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons, Hakeem was an average player. In his first 13 seasons, even if you take out those two championship years, Hakeem was right around 22 ppg, 11-12 rpg, 3 bpg, 51% FG shooting, and he was an all league defender. Again, factor in team success, and it's Duncan no doubt. Talk about individual player, it's very much open for debate.

I'd also like to point something else out. Someone suggested that Tim Duncan in his prime would never let his team not make the playoffs, criticizing Hakeem for the 1991-92 Rockets team failing to make it to the playoffs. Noteworthy is that Hakeem missed 12 games that season and the Rockets were 2-10 without him. They ended up with a 42-40 record and 9th place in the conference. The 8th seed in the Western Conference that year were the LA Lakers with a record of 43-39. The Rockets missing the playoffs that year is very much an indictment on Hakeem's supporting cast. In 2004-05, Tim Duncan missed 16 games and the Spurs went 9-7 in those games he missed. In 2003-04, Duncan missed 13 games and the Spurs went 6-7 in those games Duncan missed. The Spurs supporting cast could manage to be around .500 without Duncan. That 1991-92 Rockets team had a 16.7% winning percentage
    Yes, but in those years the Spurs were 60 wins and 57 wins and were in no danger of not making the playoffs. Duncan put them in that spot. Hakeem, if he was as good outside of his "peak" should have had his team closer.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.......this is Duncan's home turf, not Hakeem's.
    We get it; ' 95 is all you all have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats funny is these same Spurs fans would be arguing a case for Robinson being better than Hakeem, but we all saw what happened when they met in their primes.
    Fail.

I don't know any real Spurs fans that believe Robinson was better than Hakeem.

For someone to come on here and say Hakeem's career is similiar to Dirk, or Amare's is insane... flat out insane. The argument Spurs fans have for Duncan being better than Hakeem is about as rediculous as the one Lakers fans have for Kobe being better than Jordan. Infact, its even worse. If Kobe and Jordan went head to head in their primes, I have no doubt Jordan would get the best of Kobe, but Kobe would still get his. He would have been Jordans toughest cover by far. If Duncan and Hakeem went head to head in their primes, Hakeem would destroy Duncan, just like he did Robinson.
    Hakeem would destroy anyone.

Hakeem was better than Duncan at every aspect of the game with the exception of passing. It would have been a total mismatch. I have personally seen Hakeem dominate Moses, Kareem, Parish, Daugherty, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq, and Robinson. When its all said and done, Hakeem was more versatile and harder to defend than any player on that list. Yes, Duncan is one of the greats, but even he would tell you he was no match for Hakeem.
    in his prime yes, career wise no.

Duncan is getting severely underestimated in here on his outside shooting, passing and post moves.

Duncan is easily the smarter of the two players........arguably one of the top 5 smartest NBA players of all time.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yes, but in those years the Spurs were 60 wins and 57 wins and were in no danger of not making the playoffs. Duncan put them in that spot. Hakeem, if he was as good outside of his "peak" should have had his team closer.
    Ummm, so you're saying Duncan is a one man team? Come on now.

Those Spurs teams weren't in danger of missing the playoffs because they were good teams even without Duncan. The Rockets missed the playoffs because they were not a good team without Hakeem and were dependent on Hakeem.

40-30 with Hakeem. 2-10 without Hakeem.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Blake, what would your list be for top ten players in NBA history?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    To me team success doesn't hold as much merit when they're both proven winners. That just shows who had the ball bounce slightly more their way or who had the better role players. Let's not forget Parker is regarded as the best pg in the world by many of you spur fans and Ginobili is an international ball legend. As far as individual's go, Hakeem has more impact on the game at both ends. There's a reason Duncan never guarded Shaq, Dirk, Amare went off for 40ppg that one series, etc. Hakeem is better offensively and a landslide defensively, while Duncan makes up some ground in leadership qualities and team defense. But looking at the two as individuals with no bias, I've got to take Hakeem every time, although I despise the Rockets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, I did a quick search on similar threads from a year back, and here is what you had to say about the matter then:

Tim Duncan, better overall player.

Hakeem Olajuwon, better individual talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummm, so you're saying Duncan is a one man team? Come on now.

Those Spurs teams weren't in danger of missing the playoffs because they were good teams even without Duncan. The Rockets missed the playoffs because they were not a good team without Hakeem and were dependent on Hakeem.

40-30 with Hakeem. 2-10 without Hakeem.
    Come on Jam, how can you infer that I said the Spurs were a one man team from my comments? I simply said it is not fair to compare games missed, when the teams had their star players at full strength for similar amounts of time and one had so many more wins.

You cannot tell me that Duncan did not have more to do with that than his "team".

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hakeem would destroy anyone.

in his prime yes, career wise no.
    Exactly, Hakeem destroyed everyone in his path and although Duncan did it for more years and was more consistant, no one in this modern era was better than Hakeem during those few peak years outside of Jordan and Magic.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My top big men list looks something like:

1. Hakeem
    2. Shaq
    3. Wilt*
    4. Russel*
    5. Jabbar
    6. Duncan

* meaning I don't think these 2 would have dominated this era quite like they did in their own, it's hard to gauge how good they would be today, but this is my guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake, what would your list be for top ten players in NBA history?
    what does it have to do with duncan>hakeem?

in no particular order:

Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Moses
    Russell
    10 Oscar
    10a Dr J

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, Hakeem destroyed everyone in his path and although Duncan did it for more years and was more consistant, no one in this modern era was better than Hakeem during those few peak years outside of Jordan and Magic.
    Great, we agree.

duncan's level of play over his career was greater than Hakeem's while Hakeem had one nice quick run.

Duncan>Hakeem.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    what does it have to do with duncan>hakeem?

in no particular order:

Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    Duncan
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Moses
    Russell
    10 Oscar
    10a Dr J
    Do you think Bill Russell was a better player than Tim Duncan is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me team success doesn't hold as much merit when they're both proven winners.
    fail.

Duncan is a proven winner: 50 wins every year.

Hakeem.......not so much.

That just shows who had the ball bounce slightly more their way or who had the better role players. Let's not forget Parker is regarded as the best pg in the world by many of you spur fans and Ginobili is an international ball legend. As far as individual's go, Hakeem has more impact on the game at both ends. There's a reason Duncan never guarded Shaq, Dirk, Amare went off for 40ppg that one series, etc. Hakeem is better offensively and a landslide defensively, while Duncan makes up some ground in leadership qualities and team defense. But looking at the two as individuals with no bias, I've got to take Hakeem every time, although I despise the Rockets.
    I guess you failed to read where we went over this.

Duncan actually always did guard Shaq and Amare in the 4th quarter when it counted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Bill Russell was a better player than Tim Duncan is?
    yup. get to the point.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Come on Jam, how can you infer that I said the Spurs were a one man team from my comments? I simply said it is not fair to compare games missed, when the teams had their star players at full strength for similar amounts of time and one had so many more wins.

You cannot tell me that Duncan did not have more to do with that than his "team".
    You said:

As if it was all on Duncan getting them that record.

And, sure it was fair to compare the games missed. It showed how important Hakeem was to that 91-92 Rockets team that went 2-10 without him and missed the playoffs by 1 game. Me bringing up Tim Duncan and those two seasons where he missed several games was just to show how the Spurs had a pretty good team even without him.

I was refuting the contention that Tim Duncan would have never allowed his team to miss the playoffs in his prime. I think making or missing the playoffs and the regular season record of a team are products of the team. It doesn't go on the shoulders of one player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Barkley was washed up too
    nope. he was an all star and averaged 19 and 15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem was washed up when they got Barkley. He wasn't anything close to what he was in 95', even then he was in his 30s
    Hakeem was still option #1 that Barkley deferred to and they made it to the WCF

Thread Information