View Poll Results: Who would you pick to be your franchise player?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tim Duncan - Mr Fundamental

77 50.33%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon - The Dream

44 28.76%
  • Can't go wrong with either

32 20.92%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I saw this thread posted before in the Spurs section but wanted to get the opinion of other fanbases. So which would you pick to be your franchise player? Please don't let this become another off topic bashing thread.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hakeem_olajuwon/index.html

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Got mad respect for Tim, but I'm going with Hakeem on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I picked the 3rd answer....

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Hakeem would have done better than 2 les if he had Robinson, Ginobili and Parker over the course of his career.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hakeem by the slightest of margins.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I got Hakeem. No one ever did it on both ends like he did

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And it would be nice if more Rocketfans like Double-Up posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem would have done better than 2 les if he had Robinson, Ginobili and Parker over the course of his career.
    he had all stars Ralph Sampson, Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkley over the course of his career, moron.

How old are you? I bet you are too young to remember rocket games from the 90s.

lol, rocketfans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao at all the "unbiased" non-spur fans going with Hakeem.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    he had all stars Ralph Sampson, Clyde Drexler and Charles Barkley over the course of his career, moron.

lol, rocketfans.
    He did but Ralph Sampson was taken out by injuries, the rest were all over 30 when we traded for them. Duncan had the FO surround him with young talented players during his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did but Ralph Sampson was taken out by injuries, the rest were all over 30 when we traded for them. Duncan had the FO surround him with young talented players during his prime.
    and they were still allstars with the rockets.

and if the rockets players weren't that great around Hakeem, then he should have been able to win more MVPs.

It's why Tim won 2.

Fool.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I think it's somewhat unfair to talk about Hakeem having only 1 League MVP compared to Duncan's 2 in so much as had the bulk of Duncan's career in his prime spanned over the careers of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan, Duncan would have also been hard pressed to win multiple League MVPs. It would be a similar criticism to say Duncan is no where near Hakeem defensively, otherwise Duncan would have at least one DPOY. Hakeem has two.

Barkley put everything into his first year at Houston, but there's no denying that he was not the player he was even just a couple years before joining the Rockets. And, Drexler was the same way. Both still pretty good players, but not the superstar players they were earlier in their career. That said, except for maybe a couple seasons, David Robinson was very much in his decline as well for most of his time with Tim Duncan.

I think it's close. But for me, I would take Hakeem and not think twice about it. I think he was better at both ends of the court. Where Duncan probably beats Hakeem is his team play. Duncan to me is the better team player. Hakeem is the better individual player. But, you really can't go wrong either way.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    and they were still allstars with the rockets.

and if the rockets players weren't that great around Hakeem, then he should have been able to win more MVPs.

It's why Tim won 2.

Fool.
    I'm going to go ahead and quote my post from another thread

les and MVP's only prove that Duncan has had a better supporting cast than Hakeem, if you know basketball you can just watch Hakeem in his prime and realize how special he is. He's the total package, no one ever dominated both sides of the ball like he did. Hakeem could run down a guard on the fast break and block it from behind, then dribble back the other way for the score or even assist. Hakeem was better than Duncan in every aspect of basketball. Stats, more moves, harder to guard, better defender, much more athletic, better shooter and dribbler, better passer, the list goes on.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    give me Tim Duncan. he is one the greatest ever at making his teammates better. he truly knows how to use his presence to elevate his teammates level of play beyond what they would normally be capable of. he could have put up better stats than he did if he wanted to, but he always would put the team concept first and foremost, yet still knew when and how to take over games at the right time. he is arguably the best LEADER in NBA history.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Where Duncan probably beats Hakeem is his team play. Duncan to me is the better team player. Hakeem is the better individual player. But, you really can't go wrong either way.

although i personally would rather have Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to go ahead and quote my post from another thread
    congratulations. you're wrong in both threads.

more mvps, more les.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Barkely was washed up when he went to Houston. Even he admited that. Hakeem and Sampson would have won multiple les if Sampson had not hurt his back. That was the best twin tower duo in history, even much better than Duncan/Robinson. Even Drexler was at the end of his career when he played with Hakeem.
    I've been telling this dumbass basically the same thing and he doesn't want to hear it. He's like a little kid that has his hands over his ears and stickin' his tongue out when he knows he's wrong.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

more mvps, more les.
    You're always right because you say so!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    give me Tim Duncan. he is one the greatest ever at making his teammates better. he truly knows how to use his presence to elevate his teammates level of play beyond what they would normally be capable of. he could have put up better stats than he did if he wanted to, but he always would put the team concept first and foremost, yet still knew when and how to take over games at the right time. he is arguably the best LEADER in NBA history.
    I agree Duncan is the ultimate team player and that was the one knock on Hakeem early in his career.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

more mvps, more les.
    you got Jamstone, mavs>spurs, and lakaluva basically saying the same thing I said i favor of Hakeem.Good job looking like a moron.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol blake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's somewhat unfair to talk about Hakeem having only 1 League MVP compared to Duncan's 2 in so much as had the bulk of Duncan's career in his prime spanned over the careers of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan, Duncan would have also been hard pressed to win multiple League MVPs.
    so you are saying there have been no great players during Duncan's career.

Kobe, Shaq and Garnett among others would disagree.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Only Spurs homers are going to say Tim is better. You replace Hakeem with Duncan and the talent he played with throughout his career and he would have atleast 5 rings by now. Hakeem was simply the better player....and that isn't a knock against Tim at all, Hakeem was just that good.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

lol, rocketfans.
    if akeem's original first finals team wouldn't have been ravaged by injuries and drugs he would have more championships. do you remember that team?

Thread Information