Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    TEXAS AM 75, DEPAUL 72

TEAM STAT COMPARISON
    TEXAS A&M DEPAUL
    Points 75 72
    FG Made-Attempted 25-49 (.510) 22-59 (.373)
    3P Made-Attempted 7-16 (.438) 6-20 (.300)
    FT Made-Attempted 18-25 (.720) 22-25 (.880)
    Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 25 (0/0) 20 (0/0)
    Largest Lead 20 3

GAME LEADERS
    TEXAS A&M DEPAUL
    Points B. Leach 23 S. Mejia 23
    Rebounds J. Jones 11 Q. Greer 12
    Assists A. Wright 5 S. Mejia 3
    Steals J. Jones 2 L. Seals 2
    Blocks J. Jones 1 M. Brumfield 4
    · Team stats: Texas A&m | Depaul

CHICAGO (Ticker) -- Texas AM got lucky against DePaul in the second round of the NIT. Reserve Bobby Leach scored 23 points and Antoine Wright added 19 as the Aggies nearly blew an 18-point halftime lead before defeating the Blue Demons, 75-72, to advance to the quarterfinals of the postseason tournament.

Joseph Jones collected 14 points and 11 rebounds for Texas AM (21-9), which held a 44-26 advantage at the break.

But DePaul (20-11) chipped away, pulling within 73-71 when Drake Diener sank three free throws with 25 seconds remaining. After the Aggies' Dominique Kirk and DePaul's Quemont Greer each made just 1-of-2 free throws, Kirk only could split another pair from the line with nine seconds left for a 75-72 lead.

The Blue Demons had a chance to tie but Sammy Mejia missed a 3-pointer in the waning seconds.

Texas AM will face either Holy Cross, Buffalo or Saint Joseph's in the quarterfinals on Wednesday.

Mejia scored 23 points and Greer added 20 and 12 rebounds for DePaul, which shot just 37 percent (22-of-59) and allowed the Aggies to hit half their attempts.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    Unfortunately it looks like the arrogant little NIT committee pricks are bent on getting St. Jo's (in our bracket) to the Garden, we'll be on the road for the next one.

ing assholes, we're just gonna have to win the whole ing thing and then shove the trophy up their preppy yankee asses.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Unfortunately it looks like the arrogant little NIT committee pricks are bent on getting St. Jo's (in our bracket) to the Garden, we'll be on the road for the next one.

ing assholes, we're just gonna have to win the whole ing thing and then shove the trophy up their preppy yankee asses.

Is that why St Josephs is playing AT A&M?

Chill, AHF.....there are no conspiracies going down, just college bball.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    the first few rounds of the NIT are on the individual campuses, the semis and the finals are at MSG.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    the first few rounds of the NIT are on the individual campuses, the semis and the finals are at MSG.

Dude, AHF was saying that the NIT was going to cheat A&M by making A&M play AT St Josephs in the Quarter Finals, to get the St Jo team in MSG for semis.....READ HIS POST!!!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I read his post. I was merely stating a fact.

Relax Jimbo...ease up on the caffiene bro. I know I haven't been around in a while and I know you missed me but jeez.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Mikey, everyone knows that the Semis and Finals are always at MSG. I was telling AHF that the NIT is not trying to cheat the Ags, because they are getting a home game on Wednesday. So all is right with the world and A&M gets the home game, like they should, since they have the better record and also the higher RPI.

I have not been in here for a week either, so I did not miss you.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I was re-emphazing your point.

I was out for a month.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    I was re-emphazing your point.

I was out for a month.
    Oh, ok, sorry

WTF were you?

I was skiing for Spring Break at Sun Valley.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    just taking a sabbatical.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Wow, a&m won an NIT game. Start the freakin' fireworks, alert the media!

respect the 'fro

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Wow, a&m won an NIT game. Start the freakin' fireworks, alert the media!

respect the 'fro

Hey numbnuts, they have beaten two teams in NIT. An ACC team (Clemson)and Depaul, a team with a long pedigree in NCAA bball.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    just taking a sabbatical.
    Really? Why?

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Jim, it's called the NIT for a reason, it's a SECOND tier tournament for programs that couldn't make it to the big dance. Give me a ring if/when a&m finally makes the big dance.

respect the 'fro

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Jim, it's called the NIT for a reason, it's a SECOND tier tournament for programs that couldn't make it to the big dance. Give me a ring if/when a&m finally makes the big dance.

respect the 'fro
    IMO I would rather get to NIT, win 3 games, and make it to MSG and lose semis or finals than get to "Big Dance" and flame out in 1st round like Texas or Kansas.

You?

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yeah, that would be great, win the post-season NIT and announce yourself as the 65th best team in the country, what an amazing accomplishment! Hey, it's great a&m actually even made a post-season tournament, but until you're dancing in March the rest just don't matter too much. As for Texas, I think Rick Barnes did an amazing job just getting that team into the tournament. And if you want to take it a step further, look at UT's recent run of sweet 16 appearances and a final four appearance as well, a&m has a LOOOONG way to go to match that type of consistency in the tournament. Enjoy your little NIT gig.

respect the 'fro

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    It's a nice step up for the A&M program, and it's good that they're making something of the opportunity by taking advantage of their chance to continue playing games and practicing. It should prove beneficial come next year.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Ballcox, you did not answer my question.

And that is BS that the NIT champ is the 65th best team. It is a well known fact that the teams that make the NCAA Tournament are not the 64 best teams in the country.

A&M beat 4 teams in the Tournament 65 team field, and all in blowouts, but their RPI was not good because they had a soft non-conference schedule, hence they were left out.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    IMO I would rather get to NIT, win 3 games, and make it to MSG and lose semis or finals than get to "Big Dance" and flame out in 1st round like Texas or Kansas.

You?
    Actually, I wouldn't say that as a UT fan. We expect to see the team in the tournament every year. The Ags were a laughingstock in the Big 12 as recently as last season. I thought A&M got jobbed a bit by the selection committee anyway, and it's not surprising watching them winning games in the NIT. It's better for their program to be in a situation where they can play and win more games. If UT made the NIT and won two games most fans wouldn't give a . You Aggies have a very legitimate chance at making the semi's or even the finals. I'm not too impressed with St. Joe's, TCU, CS-Fullerton, UNLV, South Carolina, or Vandy. Personally, I think the NIT is Memphis' to lose, but if A&M wins tomorrow, they could pull off a postseason upset against a legit powerhouse program.

Anyway, nobody goes into either tournament to lose. Nevada outplayed Texas and the Horns lost. It's definitely better for A&M to play teams that they are capable of beating each round rather than be entered in the Big Dance as a 11 seed and get offered up to someone like Utah.

Program building W's against teams they'd never play during the regular season (I'm thinking of the 10-0 start against Schriener and company) is good for a school seeking a basketball iden y. UT already has one.

The bigger question for Jim: What the would you do if Maryland and A&M met in the finals?

Post Count
    Jim, I am pretty connected with Aggie hoops. At the time I made my post, it looked like we were going to get screwed. A lot of politicking over the weekend from a wide variety of sources is the only reason we're not playing at SJU Wednesday.

My Team
    Columbia Lions
    Post Count
    And that is BS that the NIT champ is the 65th best team. It is a well known fact that the teams that make the NCAA Tournament are not the 64 best teams in the country.
    That might be true, but if any one of them won the tournament, there's no doubt that that team would be declared the best team in college basketball. Had Delaware State made some improbable run through the tournament and won the whole thing, nobody would have argued that the NIT champ was a better team.

Besides, the assumptions about lower-seeded teams being unworthy or somehow less-qualified are being debunked annually. Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Bucknell proved that they belonged in this field, and both are probably as good as almost any team in the NIT. On the other hand, put any of those NIT teams in a 1-16 matchup or in 2-15 or 3-14 pairings in the NCAA tournament, and I'm pretty sure none would have survived round 1.

A&M beat 4 teams in the Tournament 65 team field, and all in blowouts, but their RPI was not good because they had a soft non-conference schedule, hence they were left out.
    Well, that's certainly a fact, but one of those wins was against a sub-.500 team (Oakland). But A&M also lost 7 games to tournament bound teams in conference play. They were 1-6 against the RPI top 50. I'd think the 3-7 record against tournament quality teams in conference and the poor showing against the top 50 didn't help their cause in trying to reach the tournament.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    I would have to root for my Terps.

Post Count
    No one said it did, but they (A&M) also beat a current sweet 16 team (Tech) and played another (OSU) the closest out of anyone to visit Gallagher-Iba this year.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    No one said it did, but they (A&M) also beat a current sweet 16 team (Tech) and played another (OSU) the closest out of anyone to visit Gallagher-Iba this year.
    Ummm, Texas won at Okie State March 5th.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ummm, Texas won at Okie State March 5th.
    Very true. Good luck to the Aggies. I'll always support a team from Texas unless they're playing the Longhorns.

Thread Information